Prediction R15: Changes vs Brisbane Lions

Status
Not open for further replies.

One_Wing

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Nah - the actual positions are meaningless but being named on field means you aren't at risk of being dropped. From memory we've never omitted a player that is named on field in the past few years (except late injuries of course). Just like a youngster being named as an emergency is a sign they are close to selection, being not named on field should be an indication you need to pull your finger out or be dropped. If Ballas is not close to being dropped based on performances lately then I'll be joining the mob that wants to give the selection panel a slap.

Players on the field have been dropped before.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
don't have an example at hand but can back it up and say we have dropped players from the field before
Possibly a long long time ago but in the past few years they haven't (which is exactly what my post said). The ones that come out to reduce to 22 have always come from the extended bench for at least the past two seasons except when there is an injury/niggle. This is such a pointless conversation anyway - feel dumb just for engaging in it. The point was Ballas needed to either be dropped or know he is close to being dropped. I've been a big fan but he has been woeful lately and we shouldn't be carrying any 30yo+ guys unless they are performing well beyond the youngsters that would otherwise replace them. I really hope Blakely getting injured is the only reason he's in the team this week tbh.

One_Wing

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Possibly a long long time ago but in the past few years they haven't (which is exactly what my post said). The ones that come out to reduce to 22 have always come from the extended bench for at least the past two seasons except when there is an injury/niggle. This is such a pointless conversation anyway - feel dumb just for engaging in it. The point was Ballas needed to either be dropped or know he is close to being dropped. I've been a big fan but he has been woeful lately and we shouldn't be carrying any 30yo+ guys unless they are performing well beyond the youngsters that would otherwise replace them. I really hope Blakely getting injured is the only reason he's in the team this week tbh.

Cam was dropped from the field recently.

Oh and Sandi was withdrawn from the crows game from memory after being named on the field. Different circumstances but same basic concept.

Really think you are making a big deal out of nothing.

Last edited:

Frigate

Club Legend
Jun 17, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Looks like I am one of the only Balla's fans left. Even I will admit his form has not been great, however I see enough effort to warrant selection.
I get the feeling he is inches away from a really good game, and he has just been off on skills, however for a small forward he is certainly contributing from my perspective.

His last two games he has laid 9 tackles, 20 disposals, 9 marks and 5 scoring shots. Maybe I like him more because of his work rate. He sprints and sprints to his detriment, and I think this shows in his disposal. I still believe he is a massive point of difference in our line up and creates a headache for the opposition especially at home.

My inclination is to play him at home and rest him away, until we have a consistent performer in that role. With the addition of Walters, and Cox and Apeness, I actually think he might wind back the clock.

I know this will receive criticism, and I am not trying to incite an argument here - just expressing an opinion. Maybe I have just always been a fan and have hazy glasses on, maybe he will come out and kick 3 against Brisbane. Maybe he will be dropped.

Someone was bagging out Brayshaw the other week, about how he turns it over all the time. The thing is, the supporter continually scrutinized any mistakes he made, and never applauded any of the good work. Everyone has a clanger count, but you have to applaud the things that result in awesome play. It comes down to a balance at the end of the match. Brayshaw is young, so I found it offensive and had words to this member. I raise this as IMO Ballas does a lot of really good work which is generally unrecognized. Unfortunately, he has also been a key forward marking target - due to a lack of forward options. He is no Walters in this department and this is a team issue.

Balla's he has been around, All Australian, helped us get to our first GF, had a horrible GF...
He averages 3 clangers a game, which is pretty normal for a small forward. He should probably be more greedy. He should be on 15+ goals this year, he is on 12. If he plays out the season, he will likely be on 25-30 which is a good return for a 3rd\4th forward.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers
Looks like I am one of the only Balla's fans left. Even I will admit his form has not been great, however I see enough effort to warrant selection.
I get the feeling he is inches away from a really good game, and he has just been off on skills, however for a small forward he is certainly contributing from my perspective.

His last two games he has laid 9 tackles, 20 disposals, 9 marks and 5 scoring shots. Maybe I like him more because of his work rate. He sprints and sprints to his detriment, and I think this shows in his disposal. I still believe he is a massive point of difference in our line up and creates a headache for the opposition especially at home.

My inclination is to play him at home and rest him away, until we have a consistent performer in that role. With the addition of Walters, and Cox and Apeness, I actually think he might wind back the clock.

I know this will receive criticism, and I am not trying to incite an argument here - just expressing an opinion. Maybe I have just always been a fan and have hazy glasses on, maybe he will come out and kick 3 against Brisbane. Maybe he will be dropped.

Someone was bagging out Brayshaw the other week, about how he turns it over all the time. The thing is, the supporter continually scrutinized any mistakes he made, and never applauded any of the good work. Everyone has a clanger count, but you have to applaud the things that result in awesome play. It comes down to a balance at the end of the match. Brayshaw is young, so I found it offensive and had words to this member. I raise this as IMO Ballas does a lot of really good work which is generally unrecognized. Unfortunately, he has also been a key target - which was a lack of forward options. He is no Walters in this department and this is a team issue.

Balla's he has been around, All Australian, helped us get to our first GF, had a horrible GF...
He averages 3 clangers a game, which is pretty normal for a small forward. He should probably be more greedy. He should be on 15+ goals this year, he is on 12. If he plays out the season, he will likely be on 25-30 which is a good return for a 3rd\4th forward.

Agree with most of this. Although I wouldn't say he's been good I think he's been serviceable most weeks. I still think he should be strictly depth and among the first in line to be culled when Hill and co return, but I don't think he's been total garbage like many are saying either. He still has a place on our roster until we get better small forwards, hopefully we target a few in the upcoming draft.

Frigate

Club Legend
Jun 17, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Agree with most of this. Although I wouldn't say he's been good I think he's been serviceable most weeks. I still think he should be strictly depth and among the first in line to be culled when Hill and co return, but I don't think he's been total garbage like many are saying either. He still has a place on our roster until we get better small forwards, hopefully we target a few in the upcoming draft.

Yep, well said!

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Someone was bagging out Brayshaw the other week, about how he turns it over all the time. The thing is, the supporter continually scrutinized any mistakes he made, and never applauded any of the good work. Everyone has a clanger count, but you have to applaud the things that result in awesome play. It comes down to a balance at the end of the match. Brayshaw is young, so I found it offensive and had words to this member. I raise this as IMO Ballas does a lot of really good work which is generally unrecognized. Unfortunately, he has also been a key target - which was a lack of forward options. He is no Walters in this department and this is a team issue.
I suspect most would agree with you on this if Ballas was just an 18yo like Brayshaw, or if he was important to our competitiveness like Sandi and Mundy have been this season. But he'd probably be in our bottom 6 players in almost every game he's played this season. He has done some good things but I just don't think anywhere near enough to justify taking the place a youngster could otherwise occupy. We have Cox and Apeness (and even Jones) doing some great tap downs inside 50 - where was Ballas to get some of those crumbs? Am I being unfair?

Some will say we don't have a small forward to come in and replace him but our best small forward has actually come back into the team this week.

I'm just annoyed because of Blakely's injury and also McCarthy once again being listed at full back for Peel whilst we will have a forest of rucks in our forward line. How is Cam going to earn his spot back if he is playing in a position he will never play for Freo?

Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm just annoyed because of Blakely's injury and also McCarthy once again being listed at full back for Peel whilst we will have a forest of rucks in our forward line. How is Cam going to earn his spot back if he is playing in a position he will never play for Freo?

I think we know when Cam has some form he can be serviceable in his role. Playing him all over the place to get some confidence in his playing ability would be a faster tracking method than sitting him in the forward line at Peel.

jedi mind tricks

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Dream State
AFL Club
Fremantle
I suspect most would agree with you on this if Ballas was just an 18yo like Brayshaw, or if he was important to our competitiveness like Sandi and Mundy have been this season. But he'd probably be in our bottom 6 players in almost every game he's played this season. He has done some good things but I just don't think anywhere near enough to justify taking the place a youngster could otherwise occupy. We have Cox and Apeness (and even Jones) doing some great tap downs inside 50 - where was Ballas to get some of those crumbs? Am I being unfair?

Some will say we don't have a small forward to come in and replace him but our best small forward has actually come back into the team this week.

Maybe they are teaching Cam specific skills that he is lacking?

Maybe they are testing Cam as a key defender to see how it works as they have a number of key forwards overtaking him plus an injured Tabs. With a high chance a very strong u18 prospect being available at our first selection.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think we know when Cam has some form he can be serviceable in his role. Playing him all over the place to get some confidence in his playing ability would be a faster tracking method than sitting him in the forward line at Peel.

Maybe they are testing Cam as a key defender to see how it works as they have a number of key forwards overtaking him plus an injured Tabs. With a high chance a very strong u18 prospect being available at our first selection.
Yeah I thought about that but the Peel back line has been pretty dire lately. Not sure that is the best place to build confidence or to learn. I feel for the guy because we basically threw him into being the #1 KPF when that's clearly not his ideal role. I personally see his role as what Mundy has been doing. Third tall that can lead up (almost our entire list is poor at leading - Mundy and McCarthy are not), can play high and deliver well inside 50, front and square for crumbs off the tall timber, and conjure some small forward-like magic at times close to goal. The top prospects (that are forwards) are mainly primary KPFs or small forwards. I think he's a 3rd tall forward and he's yet to play that role at either Freo or Peel.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don’t see the big deal in playing McCarthy in the backline. He took quite a few marks last game from the backline and his focus right now is to get form and confidence through getting his hands on the pill.

I’m sure that good form for Peel in the backline can easily translate to playing the roaming fwd in the AFL. When back in the AFL he needs to get on his bike and present upfield. Good on the lead and then doubling back towards goal. I’m sure this was the type of role he did with GWS and think back to that goal of the year nomination round 1. He’ll be better when he comes back and plays alongside Tabs or Ape.

Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle

Just out of form and I called out his non-existent body work, so was interesting hearing Danny point that out the other week that he was focusing on that at training.

It's a pretty interesting talking point re; McCarthy. I can't fit him into our best side right now and still hasn't really done anything significant since being here. I think there is no way he makes a breakthrough as a defender and the competition for selection as a forward is only going to heat up over the next couple of years. He has a tank but his skills are inconsistent. Could be a fit for the midfield one day.

Otherwise needs to drastically improve his form if he wants to stay in the forward half of our B22.

Crippa

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle

Not a factor that's measurable from the outside looking in but Ballas could be valuable for the confidence the young blokes draw from his presence - eg Ballas has been a great mentor to Cox by all reports. Given the extreme youth of the team we're currently fielding I don't mind him being in the team tbh, at least until Switkowski is ready.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ballas has had a moment in almost every game where he has thrown his body at the contest, been crunched and created a scoring chance.
Yeah I know. He can be an absolute disaster for 90% of the game and do one good thing and we forget all the bad :) This seems a bit like Dawson in his last season. Want to respect long time servants of the club but at the same time we are just delaying the inevitable.

Yeah I know. He can be an absolute disaster for 90% of the game and do one good thing and we forget all the bad :) This seems a bit like Dawson in his last season. Want to respect long time servants of the club but at the same time we are just delaying the inevitable.
I look at it like I'd rather he was the one throwing his body in than one of the lighter framed juniors

Frigate

Club Legend
Jun 17, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool

Yeah look, that is fair. However the only replacement I see is Giro, and he is not quite there IMO.

The "problem" is that we are still a chance at finals, and if we can get to finals - we will not go far - that is a reality - Bennell?. But the experience to the team would be huge. This is a massive if, however if you are a chance - I believe you play the best team available.

Blakely is a massive out. I do not think that impacts on Ballas though. Also you can not fit Darcy, Sandi, Ape in the same team. Well not without a fleet squad such as the dynamic duo in Walters and Ballas.

I have no problem in Ballas playing Peel and been the player that comes in when needed. I just do not see any others standing up in the role he does at the moment. Once Brad Hill comes back, and hopefully Bennell - then of course Ballas will be depth. For the game this week, I start Ballantyne and bank the 4 points.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Cam was dropped from the field recently.

Oh and Sandi was withdrawn from the crows game from memory after being named on the field. Different circumstances but same basic concept.

Really think you are making a big deal out of nothing.
It is not a big deal, but there is a fine associated with dropping a player named on the field without a reason. Eg, yes Sandy can be pulled out due to soreness, but he couldn't play wafl and be treated as a dropped player the same weekend. McCarthy was also named on the bench, not the field when he was dropped.

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
It is not a big deal, but there is a fine associated with dropping a player named on the field without a reason. Eg, yes Sandy can be pulled out due to soreness, but he couldn't play wafl and be treated as a dropped player the same weekend. McCarthy was also named on the bench, not the field when he was dropped.
I think thats only from the final 22 though, we have only named a squad so far, by 2pm tomorrow we can pull players from the field as it just counts as pulling them from the squad/no making the final 22 cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back