Preview R16 2018 Sydney v. Geelong Thursday 7:20pm SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Boring Bloods vs. The Cats @ the SCG
swans geelong logo.jpg
Elon Musk has the Boring Company but the AFL media have named us the Boring Bloods – we bore our opponents into mush.
boring bloods cables.jpg
There have been only six games played at the SCG (ignoring the ANZ Stadium) since 2005, four have been won by Swans.

Some of the Geelong team and fans are used to long ground names like GMHBA Stadium but we call home simply the “SCG”.

To help the Cats familiarise themselves with Sydney, we have some people that you may know – our future CEO Tom Harley, soon-to-be head of football Charlie Gardiner, Steve Johnson one of our forward coaches, or our Swans players who grew up your the Geelong district: #16 Gary Rohan (106 games), #19 Matthew Ling (look out for him in 2018), #30 Tom McCartin (6 games), #43 Lewis Melican (20 games perhaps you'll see him next time we meet).

Date | Sydney | Geelong |Comments
\R15 9 Jul 2005 | 16. 9 105 |7.9 51|Gary Ablett Jr only one from the game who will be playing
\SF 9 Sep 2005 | 7.14 56 |7.11 53| :p
\R4 16 Apr 2011|7.12 54 | 11.15 81 |:oops:
\R13 22 Jun 2012| 12.8 80| 11.8 74|Grundy, Hannebery, Jack, JPK, McVeigh, Reid, Smith are the 7 players from the Bloods whereas 4 from Geelong: Menzel, Selwood, Taylor, Wojcinski|
\R 4 19 Apr 2013|16.7 103| 19.10 124 |:mad:
\R11 29 May 2014| 22.16 148 |5.8 38|Cunningham, Franklin, Grundy, Hannebery, Jack, JPK, Lloyd McVeigh, Parker, Rampe, Reid (NEAFL?) and Smith 12 for Swans and 10 from Geelong Bews, Blicavs, Duncan, Guthrie, Hawkins, Menzel, Murdoch, Selwood, Taylor and Wojcinski remember the blood bath!

Let’s enjoy the last few moments of the Nick Davis show in the 2005 Semi Final

Some in the media are (maybe!!) not supportive of the Bloods during their TV commentary, like Cameron Ling:
ling 2005 SF.jpg
Cameron Ling after the Bloods 2005 SF win.
On last night’s Round 15 Richmond vs. Swans coverage, Ling was determined that Franklin should get a week (surprise! thereby missing the Geelong game) and during the last quarter with the top 2 teams competing mentioned that “the Swans would not go deep into the finals”.​

Or former Geelong player Cameron Mooney, in 2010 Round 7, Heath Grundy spoils Cameron Mooney.
lwmAzWc.jpg

Remember the last 5 minutes in 2012 Round 13:

We had #13 Andrejs Everitt starring for us on that day, we have #13 Ollie Florent instead.

Nine years after the Bloods bore Geelong in 2005 semi-final, Mooney was talking the Swans in the 2014 FoxFooty pre-game analysis

Little did Mooney know that Geelong were to be bored into the ground by 110 points.

The Teams

From Round 14
SYDNEY SWANS
B Nick Smith, Heath Grundy, Dane Rampe
HB Jarrad McVeigh, Aliir Aliir, Jake Lloyd
C Oliver Florent, Josh P. Kennedy, Zak Jones
HF George Hewett, Tom McCartin, Will Hayward
F Gary Rohan, Lance Franklin, Ben Ronke
FOL Callum Sinclair, Luke Parker, Isaac Heeney
I/C James Rose, Dan Hannebery, Harry Cunningham, Kieren Jack

Outs: Hopefully Heeney will be rested with concussion, so Towers a possible in for Heeney
Is Harry Marsh a possible to replace Aliir Aliir?
Doubtfuls: Sam Reid or Lewis Melican –please let them have time in Saturday's NEAFL game.
I doubt Hannebery will be dropped - from John Longmire's post-game press conference "Hannebery is going ok, he just turned the ball over a bit tonight".

If fit, Papley to replace Rose.

The Swans BF match committee would like Jack and Rohan omitted, but would Dawson come back in after a few NEAFL games.

GEELONG CATS
B Jack Henry, Jake Kolodjashnij, Zach Tuohy
HB Mark Blicavs, Harry Taylor, Tom Stewart
C Mitch Duncan, Joel Selwood, Jordan Murdoch
HF James Parsons, Patrick Dangerfield, Sam Menegola
F Brandan Parfitt, Tom Hawkins, Lachie Fogarty
FOL Rhys Stanley, Gary Ablett, Tim Kelly
I/C Jed Bews, Jordan Cunico, Cameron Guthrie, Quinton Narkle
EMG Wylie Buzza, Zach Guthrie, Daniel Menzel, Jackson Thurlow

Possible ins: Lincoln McCarthy back from hamstring, Menzel? Cockatoo (he is ill so not playing and not going to sydney)

(No doubt Geelong will maintain their form of making last minute changes to the selected side an hour before the game starts).

The Goals

Our forward line has Lance Franklin (35 goals), Hayward (23), Ronke (16), Papley (12 though doubtful) and then Parker (17), Heeney (12 though doubtful), Sinclair (10), and JPK (7) running into the forward line – well, say no more!

Geelong has Hawkins (25), Menzel (15), Menegola (13) Dangerfield (13) and Kelly (10) (before Friday’s round 15)

Lance (even with ongoing heel problems) all night will be ahead of Harry Taylor (who has had only the one match back from injury) roaming the 50 m arc:
VFiseCW.jpg

Hawkins has the combined might of Aliir, Grundy, Marsh, Rampe, and Smith, with very little support from his Geelong mates:
t3FRVnA.jpg

The Mids

This is worth the ticket to get to the game and the long trek home on a Thursday night – Swans traditionals: Parker, Hannebery and JPK with our magical group of Cunningham, Florent, Heeney, Hewett and Jones running through the middle.

The Geelong oldies of Dangerfield, Selwood and Ablett, though likely Selwood will get his free kicks forward of centre.

Sorry George, but another tagging role on Dangerfield - just bore a hole into his boat - that will sink Dangerfield.
Dangerfield boat BFYkM4sCIAAgJfs.jpg

The Rucks

Callum Sinclair can out sour puss the Cats
2018 Sinclair  Rhys Stanley hero2.jpg

Why we will bore the Cats into our SCG Turf?

Our Bloods Culture

As described by one of our 2005 SF Swans players - Luke Ablett when he talks of Maxfield, Kirk, Bolton and our Bloods Culture: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2014/sep/18/how-sydney-swans-built-the-bloods-culture

Whatever it Takes

Blood Brothers

The Result

The Boring Bloods by 26 points
result photos v3 sm.jpg

Last edited:

A lot of things to work on from last night with a lot of players also being below their best.

In: Papley, Someone
Out: Heeney (concussion)/Rose/Rohan/

Can only see two changes. So probably Rose/Heeney out I imagine. Papley only in if 100%.

Another big game
Lets hope Buddy doesn't get done for that throat hit.. Could be a week for that one.. Also Parkers Elbow didnt look good, i know he played out the game but it will be very sore today.

Our outs could potentially be Heeney/Buddy/Parker

Rose, Rohan and K Jack done. Ins are dependent on who we have available. K Jack just embarrassed himself last night, as did Rohan.

Given Melican and Reid have both been named in the 2s for tomorrow's game, I wouldn't expect either to get up for next Thursday's match - too small of a turn around. They'll both be primed for Sunday 15th July against North Melbourne.

From last night's side, assuming no injuries or suspensions, I would be leaving out Rose for Papley (assuming fit), Rohan for Towers and Kieren Jack for whichever midfielder gives the best account of themselves in tomorrow's NEAFL match. That enables the same structures to be kept. Structures are fine, it's just the execution of our skills that were off last night - fumbling (both picking the ball up and uncontested marks) and bombing to no-one because players weren't lowering their eyes (not because there weren't options).

Given Melican and Reid have both been named in the 2s for tomorrow's game, I wouldn't expect either to get up for next Thursday's match - too small of a turn around. They'll both be primed for Sunday 15th July against North Melbourne.

From last night's side, assuming no injuries or suspensions, I would be leaving out Rose for Papley (assuming fit), Rohan for Towers and Kieren Jack for whichever midfielder gives the best account of themselves in tomorrow's NEAFL match. That enables the same structures to be kept. Structures are fine, it's just the execution of our skills that were off last night - fumbling (both picking the ball up and uncontested marks) and bombing to no-one because players weren't lowering their eyes (not because there weren't options).
They might play a half?

I'm not sure who we could bring in that would give a better account against the cats than Jack. No point dropping him for someone who provides nothing extra, keep him for his experience and leadership. I'm not against him having a run in the twos, but not unless we can bring in someone with greater upside.

I'm not sure who we could bring in that would give a better account against the cats than Jack. No point dropping him for someone who provides nothing extra, keep him for his experience and leadership. I'm not against him having a run in the twos, but not unless we can bring in someone with greater upside.
That's the problem with dropping Jack and Hanners, who replaces them?

So do we think it's possible they'll go into a game with Reid/McCartin/Buddy (even if it's not this week)?

I know the trend now is to go smaller in the forward line but McCartin has been really good and between him and Reid we'd have two good marking targets up forward. It would allow Buddy to push further up the ground and restrict the opposition's ability to double team him. And then during the inevitable Reid switch down back we'd still have someone up forward to take a mark.

So do we think it's possible they'll go into a game with Reid/McCartin/Buddy (even if it's not this week)?

I know the trend now is to go smaller in the forward line but McCartin has been really good and between him and Reid we'd have two good marking targets up forward. It would allow Buddy to push further up the ground and restrict the opposition's ability to double team him. And then during the inevitable Reid switch down back we'd still have someone up forward to take a mark.
Yep, totally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

**** me

Heeney’s concussion will give Jack or Hanners yet another chance. We just can’t catch a break. I’d honestly still get rid of them. In their current form they are a complete liability and you can’t be going into a game with those two in the midfield. Rohan and Rose also cannot play again.

Five changes seems like an awful lot but IMO they are four absolutely crucial changes, and Heeney the unfortunate one.

Their horrible and unacceptable form has exposed our midfield depth, or lack thereof. It seemed such a lock that Hanners and Jack would be best 22, but if we’re serious about top four we can’t be playing them. But aside from Towers, who in the reserves can we even bring in? We’re scraping the bottom of the barrel here. Dawson is still an unknown entity. Ya’ll see my point about how we do not need a McGovern as much as we need some quality mids?

They might play a half?

Maybe, but even still these guys can't be rushed in. I think they are both too important. Melican especially given how great he is at defending on the lead.

Robinson - dominates in the twos. Upside is that he doesn't do a huge amount wrong. Downside is that he doesn't do a huge amount right either.
Dawson - would ideally be the one based on 2017 form. Is he still lacking match fitness? Guess we find out against Brisbane in the 2s this weekend. It's probably his big chance.
Foote - please no
Fox - probably not in this position for structure
O'Riordan - he's an unknown quantity for me, but given Horse has given pretty much everyone else on the list a go, why not?

Papley in for Heeney probably

I think Rohan will play better v the cats
Jacks ok

hanners- im swaying towards riding it out

Rose now hes there give him more than a week IMO but i suspect he could be chopped

mellican and reid back?

Maybe, but even still these guys can't be rushed in. I think they are both too important. Melican especially given how great he is at defending on the lead.

Robinson - dominates in the twos. Upside is that he doesn't do a huge amount wrong. Downside is that he doesn't do a huge amount right either.
Dawson - would ideally be the one based on 2017 form. Is he still lacking match fitness? Guess we find out against Brisbane in the 2s this weekend. It's probably his big chance.
Foote - please no
Fox - probably not in this position for structure
O'Riordan - he's an unknown quantity for me, but given Horse has given pretty much everyone else on the list a go, why not?

Towers?

Aye, my post from earlier this was in reponse to

I had Towers in for Rohan, and Papley (if fit) in for Rose already. This was in relation to replacing Jack.

sorry mate

Papley in for Heeney probably

I think Rohan will play better v the cats
Jacks ok

hanners- im swaying towards riding it out

Rose now hes there give him more than a week IMO but i suspect he could be chopped

mellican and reid back?

They've gotta play at the very least one full NEAFL game for me to even consider playing them. Reid has played one game all year and has dealt with different injuries for much of the year, while Melican has had multiple setbacks and needs to prove he's well and truly on top of those issues before he's ready for AFL level.

Hi guys, why the assumption that Heeney won't play?
Got a head knock early last night, played a quarter concussed and then sat out the second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back