Autopsy R16, 2020 Swans vs Blues

elastic

Cometh the moment
Jul 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Our ball use was the difference early and then the rain came and Carlton were able to mitigate their ordinary skills into additional territory. Umpiring ordinary with a lot of plucked free kicks didn't help. Florent. Melican and Dawson had good games. Still felt like we were trying to save the game even when Carlton had drawn level.

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
Imagine kicking 7 unanswered goals to start the match and only 1 more for the rest. Tried to protect our least waaaaay to early then couldn't match the increased intensity

ashep

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Awful loss. Coughing up a lead like that against a side like Carlton is simply not good enough. I don't care about injuries or experience, that was unacceptable.

umpires were s**t all around, better side won, they should have won by more, we did well to hold them off like we did

look its a development phase, but thats a s**t way to lose, longmire wont accept that s**t and nor should he

we will learn and respond hopefully

theres a few dissapointing players out there but theres a few who wouldnt get. game normally

blakey worries me, he has the tools, but he got himself injured imo and his whole year has been poor

if you think the umps cost us the win you are wrong imo

More seriously;

Lost it in the mids. Third quarter we basically couldn't get it in our forward half, fourth quarter we just lost our structure. Incidentally, how does a team concede so many I50's yet get beaten 2/3 on 1 up forward?

JPK looks really worrying. Reid had a couple of OK grabs but other anonymous. Sinclair was terrible, probably lost us the game.

Positivies - I really liked Melican and McCartin's games down back, Florent had his best game in months and Dawson was everywhere.

zyzzbruh

Premiership Player
Mar 27, 2017
Mnt Olympus
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Manchester United
Imagine kicking 7 unanswered goals to start the match and only 1 more for the rest. Tried to protect our least waaaaay to early then couldn't match the increased intensity
Don't think we tried to protect it. Blues were all over us from the start just kicked wayward inside 50. We pinch hit and luckily strung together a few goals against the flow. They were always eventually going to steady.

I have literally no idea why anyone would be surprised by that result. Most weeks we struggle to play more than one, sometimes two good quarters. Now we play off a five day break, in difficult conditions, and play full tempo attack out of the gates, and we're shocked things fell away?

But let me guess how this goes... Rowbottom is rested next game after being a spectator in this game. The Horse apologists tell the Horse bashers that actually, Horse made the right call resting him, as clearly Rowbottom needs a rest. And somewhere in a quiet suburb in Perth, a Swans fan combusts in frustration because nobody ******* listened to him when this result could've been avoided.

In short: effing arrogant to go into this game unchanged given the circumstances.

But all in all, a good effort.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
As disgusting as the umpiring was, sydney just went into their shells with Carlton got on a run, how did we manage 1 goal an 1 behind in 2 qtrs of footy
We scored 1.2 from the half way mark of the second quarter.
That's a disgrace from a team capable of being 39 points up at that same point

Oct 17, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I felt like our 7 goal start did not really reflect an even match. Then when Carlton kicked 4 in a row, it was a bit flukey and they were lucky.

For the rest of the game we had chances to hit them on the counter attack either to kick goals or relieve pressure. But our ball use was not clean and decisions poor. Late in the fourth quarter, we had breakaway chances and did not even kick a point.

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
McCartin was excellent again down back.
Dawson had one of his best games.
Florent's best game all year.
Plenty to like in Melican's performance again.
Same with McInerney and Hayward who took some good marks on the wing.
Taylor could have gotten us the draw which we probably deserved
(He was hit high by the second arm swinging in despite the commentator making it up as if it didn't happen).

Ran out of legs. Should have rested Rowbottom or Parker, or JPK to get them up for next game.

MF

Good Poster, s**t Bloke
Sep 10, 2006
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I don't think we did anything different to try and protect the lead. We just started getting smashed in the clearances mainly due to Cripps and Walsh taking control.

I don't think we did anything different to try and protect the lead. We just started getting smashed in the clearances mainly due to Cripps and Walsh taking control.
They did seem to lose forward structure a lot. Far fewer 1v1's than before. Might've been more of a fatigue thing than anything else.

Back