Autopsy R16, 2020 Swans vs Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

In fairness to my comments, it isn’t just this game for me. I am struggling to see how he carves out a successful AFL career.

His main strengths are his size and ability to take a contested mark. At the moment the opposition wouldn’t care much for him but if he started to do very well in this area, the opposition would target it, nullify it and make his main strength null.

Too one dimensional. I’d probably still give a contract because we are hardly blessed with lots of tall forward / rucks and I’d give him the chance to prove me wrong, but am struggling to see him having a long career in the AFL.

Yes to your credit you have been consistent where McLean is concerned. And I don't disagree entirely on some of your points, but I think to reiterate on them after a game that was clearly not suited to him, in which basically everyone outside of our defensive 50 was sub-par (besides Florent) is a little harsh. Reid and Sinclair similarly gave their critics plenty of material to work with last night, but to single them out based on this particular game would be unfair.

If anything it just continues to paint a picture of a forward group that isn't quite functioning right, a midfield group that squanders their rare opportunities, and a horror show when those two things combine.

I think when a young side gives up a seven goal lead after half time it might be that some are physically and mentally tired. Yes Rowbottom slogged away physically but players like him will keep going till they drop. Mental fatigue is a bit harder to manage but shows up in high levels of physical effort without much reward. We saw it in Bell a few weeks ago where his running, sprints, pressure acts were massive but he couldn't get near the ball. Last night we saw it in Rowbottom, Wicks, and a few others where their physical effort and running could not be faulted but they are clearly knackered and din't have much impact. In a normal season they would have had 7 day breaks, slept in their own bed, maintained their own routines, played in cooler less humid climates. Carlton rotated players out and it helped in the last half. The swans not so much.

My other observation is that the swans slipped back into some bad old habits in the second half including, bomb kicking into the forward line, and tall forwards being out marked rather than bringing the ball to ground. These habits compound the problems for the mids as the ball slingshots out quickly creating even more issues.

Rowbottom didn’t get a lot of the ball last night but I’m not sure it’s due to him being tired. He had the most pressure acts of any player on the ground with 24. Also the 5th highest average speed in attack. Didn’t get a lot of the ball but he was close enough to apply pressure.
He usually gets the ball, if he's only getting close enough to pressure he is slower than usual. Ergo he was tired. Honestly you can just watch him, everything he does looks harder than in the beginning of the year.

My other observation is that the swans slipped back into some bad old habits in the second half including, bomb kicking into the forward line, and tall forwards being out marked rather than bringing the ball to ground. These habits compound the problems for the mids as the ball slingshots out quickly creating even more issues.
I remember the commentators talking about us avoiding that stuff in the first quarter.

Honestly we are missing Rampe so much, I don't think we lose that game with Rampe, and that even if he didn't defend.
He takes responsibility with his disposals, he takes an extra second and hits the player that the younger guys are too SCARED to hit.

He usually gets the ball, if he's only getting close enough to pressure he is slower than usual. Ergo he was tired. Honestly you can just watch him, everything he does looks harder than in the beginning of the year.

Only 7 Swans on a list of 46 have played every game this year and one of them is the youngest player in our team. I mean **** me this isn't rocket science.

Fatigue played a big part in our midfield falling away last night imo, they looked pretty good against Melbourne as a group. Again, when Parker excels we tend to win this year. Last night he couldn't really get near it, and when he did was under enormous pressure.

I agree and posted that last night but the White Rhino howled it down as boring and repetitive reasons for failing.

That occured between 5-7 times and thats about 14-20% of our I50. Easy to see why we have one of the worse records for 0 or 1 goal quarters.

Yes there our other factors but being out numbered and then kicking to disadvantage sees us hardly scoring for half's not quarters.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Only 7 Swans on a list of 46 have played every game this year and one of them is the youngest player in our team. I mean **** me this isn't rocket science.
A 4 dAy BrEaK dOeSnT mEaN aNyThinG tO a 19 yR oLd

For everyone saying that we lost it at the selection table, i don't recall having to wade through all of those posts pointing this out pre game. It seemed to me that just about everyone was happy with no change but of course now we are angry with the club for making such a mistake. How could they!

On a bright note, I actually think McCartin is a backman who we have wanted to be a forward. To be honest he has only shown glimpses of his talent up forward, but down back it is there for all to see. He is a back who reads the play well and whose first inclination is to mark, not spoil. This turns him into a potential weapon for us, but will also get him into trouble on occasions. I hope he continues in his role down back and we can concentrate on our mids and forwards as our priorities.
Having said that, I think Maibaum may be in trouble at the end of the season now and it will be interesting to see where Brand now fits in.

For everyone saying that we lost it at the selection table, i don't recall having to wade through all of those posts pointing this out pre game. It seemed to me that just about everyone was happy with no change but of course now we are angry with the club for making such a mistake. How could they!

On a bright note, I actually think McCartin is a backman who we have wanted to be a forward. To be honest he has only shown glimpses of his talent up forward, but down back it is there for all to see. He is a back who reads the play well and whose first inclination is to mark, not spoil. This turns him into a potential weapon for us, but will also get him into trouble on occasions. I hope he continues in his role down back and we can concentrate on our mids and forwards as our priorities.
Having said that, I think Maibaum may be in trouble at the end of the season now and it will be interesting to see where Brand now fits in.
I personally think he would be as valuable at either end.

You got to remember he is playing in a side that, aside from the last month say, struggled to do anything right. Playing as a forward under those conditions would be nigh on impossible as well as him having to take the best or at worst 2nd best defender at his age is a long stretch.

Down back he can read the play a lot better by its nature, a lot more ball comes his way and as he has talent so he shines.

It may be his best position is down back and I will not in any way shape or form scoff at a guy that may anchor the defence as a key tall for 12 plus years given his age but the forward role is not done and dusted with me by any stretch. If we get a dominant midfield he would look great up front and he actually is a great kick for goal which is obviously something you cannot teach looking around the AFL, and us of course in particular, in general which is strange.

In any event he is a serious footy player and a real keeper. Where he ends up is moot - kid can play and I hope he is a very happy camper in Sydney.

This myth that captaincy has suited Parker needs to come to an end. He's had seven matches this year with below 20 possessions. I don't care if he's surrounded by youngsters. I don't care if he has no decent service from the ruck. I don't care that he's had a greater responsibility with fellow leaders out. I just don't care. You're the captain and leader and one of the most experienced guys out there. Do better. Find a way or give it up to the guy who knows how to.

If only the other teams did not care and waste a tagger on him he would probably get 20 plus every game - still the best mid we have in and around the ball and that's where it counts he leads with effort not just numbers and pretty sure his team mates know that.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Summation:

We started well by playing fast, attacking footy, then decided to protect the lead, which gave Carlton a sniff.

It was 2 below-average sides, both playing at 90%, far from finals-intensity footy.

No loss is good, but it could be the loss that enables us to jag a pick before Campbell.

No train wrecks to see here.

I've been saying it about Rowbottom for weeks. As for this particular week I didn't post in the preview thread but I didn't think it needed to be stated. Pretty effing obvious you don't go in unchanged on the back of a five day break with a young side.

Lewie Taylors duck to milk the free was pretty piss poor. Won't get much respect from his team mates or the comp pulling that stuff
Watch the film without the Melbourne commentary getting in your ear. Turn the sound off. If that's not a free for high contact IDK what is. Left arm swings through and hits him in the neck/head.

1599627504721.png

Last edited:
There was a super dumb moment I think in the 4th quarter when we needed to settle things down and we FINALLY won a free at the centre bounce. JPK just takes the advantage without thinking, gets himself under pressure, and wobbles this lousy kick inside 50 for two Carlton defenders to crumb and rebound. Really poor passage from one of our leaders and kind of symbolic of the second half really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back