Autopsy R16, 2020 Swans vs Blues

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I've been saying it about Rowbottom for weeks. As for this particular week I didn't post in the preview thread but I didn't think it needed to be stated. Pretty effing obvious you don't go in unchanged on the back of a five day break with a young side.
Should have seen Stephens and Warner/Gray in for Rowbottom and JPK - given the young one is near spent, and the old one is coming back from a serious knee injury. No doubt they'll both be back again on Sunday, no thought at all to long term management.
Swans always run players into the ground.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Matty Cottrell is scary, a few Carlton posters described him as Mitch Robinson 2.0 and I would be inclined to agree.

Should have seen Stephens and Warner/Gray in for Rowbottom and JPK - given the young one is near spent, and the old one is coming back from a serious knee injury. No doubt they'll both be back again on Sunday, no thought at all to long term management.
Swans always run players into the ground.

I mean I think second year is a bit early in a player's career for him to be run into the ground. It won't make an ounce of difference to the kid if he labours his way through the last two matches.

I just think from a team perspective that the concept of "fielding our best side" in these circumstances - short turn-arounds, constant plane trips, hub life, no Rampe, Mills, Heeney, Buddy, Hewett, Naismith - is just a pipe-dream. Right now, our best team is our fittest team. Those with the freshest legs who aren't playing with weeks' worth of wear and tear. There were a few out there that I really don't believe had more to give physically than Stephens, Warner, Gray etc would've.

This board is a bit contradictory at times. We went too defensive apparently, yet the complaint is that we played Aliir in the ruck, in the hopes of actually making us more dangerous in there to generate more inside 50s. Now I can't stand the Aliir-to-the-ruck move and have always said our defence suffers when we swing Aliir out mid-games, it's literally never worked. But evidently Horse was still focused on actually taking the game on and winning the thing.

Even in his press conference he lamented the lack of work rate and hard running from our boys required to get things going and attack.

Tesla Tenet

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
This board is a bit contradictory at times. We went too defensive apparently, yet the complaint is that we played Aliir in the ruck, in the hopes of actually making us more dangerous in there to generate more inside 50s. Now I can't stand the Aliir-to-the-ruck move and have always said our defence suffers when we swing Aliir out mid-games, it's literally never worked. But evidently Horse was still focused on actually taking the game on and winning the thing.

Even in his press conference he lamented the lack of work rate and hard running from our boys required to get things going and attack.
Yes C88 but is that contradictory itself. Sinkers to FF is an attacking move?

Hayward or Wicks to a few centre bounces could be an positive move?

Our forward structure fell apart as more forwards folded back to support. When we won the ball there were no easy way to create marks or movememt from B50 to I50.

These are just questions and an opinion.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Yes C88 but is that contradictory itself. Sinkers to FF is an attacking move?

Hayward or Wicks to a few centre bounces could be an positive move?

Our forward structure fell apart as more forwards folded back to support. When we won the ball there were no easy way to create marks or movememt from B50 to I50.

These are just questions and an opinion.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I'm not saying Horse got every decision he made right. I'm just saying it was clear he was trying to create a spark. Get another marking target inside 50, get Aliir in the ruck contests to generate more plays out of the midfield etc. Did they work? No. But at least he tried them.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
No commentary in my ear. 🙄 He dropped his knees to draw the free. I guess you think Joel Selwoods free kicks are awesome.

Was a 50/50 free I thought

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
For everyone saying that we lost it at the selection table, i don't recall having to wade through all of those posts pointing this out pre game. It seemed to me that just about everyone was happy with no change but of course now we are angry with the club for making such a mistake. How could they!

On a bright note, I actually think McCartin is a backman who we have wanted to be a forward. To be honest he has only shown glimpses of his talent up forward, but down back it is there for all to see. He is a back who reads the play well and whose first inclination is to mark, not spoil. This turns him into a potential weapon for us, but will also get him into trouble on occasions. I hope he continues in his role down back and we can concentrate on our mids and forwards as our priorities.
Having said that, I think Maibaum may be in trouble at the end of the season now and it will be interesting to see where Brand now fits in.
I actually was adament Sinclair would be a late out.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Watch the film without the Melbourne commentary getting in your ear. Turn the sound off. If that's not a free for high contact IDK what is. Left arm swings through and hits him in the neck/head.

View attachment 956993
A free every day of the week in front of a capacity crowd for a Vic team.
Ferk carlton. That's a free to Taylor. & he should have nailed it.

Joycerama

Team Captain
Jul 29, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't think we did anything different to try and protect the lead. We just started getting smashed in the clearances mainly due to Cripps and Walsh taking control.
Agree with this. Our defence did amazingly well to soak up three quarters of assault. When the adrenaline of Q1 subsided, The rucks, mids got spanked in a big way. When this happens we lose our shape and there she wrote.
I don’t see our midfield transforming into a competitive outfit without another elite player in there. invest now or 2022/2023?

Agree with this. Our defence did amazingly well to soak up three quarters of assault. When the adrenaline of Q1 subsided, The rucks, mids got spanked in a big way. When this happens we lose our shape and there she wrote.
I don’t see our midfield transforming into a competitive outfit without another elite player in there. invest now or 2022/2023?

Yep we had no answer for Cripps. Too quick and explosive for JPK and Parker, too strong and powerful for Rowbottom.

And invest now, ya kidding me? We allow our midfield to continue in this state for another year and the rebuild will be as alive and kicking as Prince Phillip.

Oct 17, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't think we changed our approach to protect the lead.

Even in the first quarter we seemed to be pinned back in our own half and could not lock the ball in their defensive 50. We were mainly scoring our goals off our counter attacks opportunities.

Carlton were better around the ground. But we messed up a lot of our chances to counter attack in the second half. Sometimes we just needed to kick one of those goals to stop their momentum.

Jeffers

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2002
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal/Penrith/LA Lakers
For everyone saying that we lost it at the selection table, i don't recall having to wade through all of those posts pointing this out pre game. It seemed to me that just about everyone was happy with no change but of course now we are angry with the club for making such a mistake. How could they!

On a bright note, I actually think McCartin is a backman who we have wanted to be a forward. To be honest he has only shown glimpses of his talent up forward, but down back it is there for all to see. He is a back who reads the play well and whose first inclination is to mark, not spoil. This turns him into a potential weapon for us, but will also get him into trouble on occasions. I hope he continues in his role down back and we can concentrate on our mids and forwards as our priorities.
Having said that, I think Maibaum may be in trouble at the end of the season now and it will be interesting to see where Brand now fits in.
I think you'll fine I was gobsmacked that Sinclair was selected considering he had a knee complaint and already had bung knees. The guy is cooked.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
If Blakey played his GWS or Melbourne game last night we would of won. That's the issue, we are relying on a second year player to be on to win. We won't win games until we are relying on 24-28 year olds.

Yes, he didn't have a good game, but he wouldn't be expected to win games in a top 4 team, just a function of what we are as a team.

Prez

Debutant
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
This myth that captaincy has suited Parker needs to come to an end. He's had seven matches this year with below 20 possessions. I don't care if he's surrounded by youngsters. I don't care if he has no decent service from the ruck. I don't care that he's had a greater responsibility with fellow leaders out. I just don't care. You're the captain and leader and one of the most experienced guys out there. Do better. Find a way or give it up to the guy who knows how to.
Sorry 88 but if you watch the game after 1/2 time Parker is out of the middle for most of the 3rd qtr only really coming back in to the centre in the last couple minutes in the last. I found it strange that after getting the side going in the first half he spent alot of the second half down forward or on the pine. Maybe it was decided to give the young guys ago in the middle

we had our chances to win until the end, there are much worse losses

Frustrating because I still feel it was avoidable, but I agree.

I think people are forgetting that we're just not a very good side as we're rebuilding and also still evolving our game-plan. That alone has us nowhere near the finals, but take out Rampe, Heeney, Buddy, Mills, Hewett and Naismith? It's a bloody miracle we've done as well as we have.

We're one win behind Freo, take out their equivalents (Pearce, Walters, Taberner, Ryan, Brayshaw and Darcy) and they'd be absolutely ****ed.

We're half a win behind Gold Coast, and take out their equivalents (Collins, Anderson, King, Lukosius, Weller and Witts) and they'd be even worse.

We are going just fine all things considered.

Dubai Quacker

Wily Old Campaigner
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Frustrating because I still feel it was avoidable, but I agree.

I think people are forgetting that we're just not a very good side as we're rebuilding and also still evolving our game-plan. That alone has us nowhere near the finals, but take out Rampe, Heeney, Buddy, Mills, Hewett and Naismith? It's a bloody miracle we've done as well as we have.

We're one win behind Freo, take out their equivalents (Pearce, Walters, Taberner, Ryan, Brayshaw and Darcy) and they'd be absolutely ****ed.

We're half a win behind Gold Coast, and take out their equivalents (Collins, Anderson, King, Lukosius, Weller and Witts) and they'd be even worse.

We are going just fine all things considered.
Interesting that Naismith always gets raised in the list of quality players we’re missing.

I have no idea if he’s quality or not. You have to actually play for that to be determined.

Interesting that Naismith always gets raised in the list of quality players we’re missing.

I have no idea if he’s quality or not. You have to actually play for that to be determined.

Less about how quality he is and more the fact that he is, whether any of us rate him or not, our main ruck man. It's a big role to be missing from any team.

Oct 17, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I think Parker has been good as captain. It is hard to judge from the outside. But it seems like he has kept the players motivated mid season and tried to set internal standards.

The spirit among the players and their attitude seems to have been pretty good during hub period. I don't think that is something you can take for granted. Even top leaders like Cripps and Fyfe have had subdued periods onfield.

Back