Autopsy R16, 2020 Swans vs Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Less about how quality he is and more the fact that he is, whether any of us rate him or not, our main ruck man. It's a big role to be missing from any team.
Yes, the problem with Naismith being injured again this year is as much that he was determined to be the number one ruck and so an alternative was not signed for the year as it is that we would be better if he personally was available to play, which I think we would be going on what little we did get to see.

Frustrating because I still feel it was avoidable, but I agree.

I think people are forgetting that we're just not a very good side as we're rebuilding and also still evolving our game-plan. That alone has us nowhere near the finals, but take out Rampe, Heeney, Buddy, Mills, Hewett and Naismith? It's a bloody miracle we've done as well as we have.

We're one win behind Freo, take out their equivalents (Pearce, Walters, Taberner, Ryan, Brayshaw and Darcy) and they'd be absolutely ****ed.

We're half a win behind Gold Coast, and take out their equivalents (Collins, Anderson, King, Lukosius, Weller and Witts) and they'd be even worse.

We are going just fine all things considered.
Take Hawkins, Rohan, Dangerfield, Stanley, Stewart, Henderson out of Geelong or
Lynch, Riewoldt, Martin, Grimes, Astbury, Soldo out of Richmond and how would they do?

That is the level of losses we have suffered.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Yes, the problem with Naismith being injured again this year is as much that he was determined to be the number one ruck and so an alternative was not signed for the year as it is that we would be better if he personally was available to play, which I think we would be going on what little we did get to see.

I mean I still think it wouldn't have hurt to reinforce in that area last year given we were placing our fate in the hands of someone coming back from missing two years with recurring knee injuries, but it's a coulda, shoulda, woulda situation. Maybe we needed to have a truly disastrous year like this in the ruck to realise just how dire our stocks are where the tall timber is concerned.

Also apologies for snapping at you last night. I got smart arsey vibes from your comment but that doesn't give me an excuse to carry on like a baboon over something as silly in the grand scheme of things as a player management debate.

I think even if we traded in another ruck, he would probably also be missing some games through injury. It seems to be a position where players are really susceptible to injury. I am not sure it is going to be a simple solution.

For all the criticism of Sinclair, he is fairly durable and been useful as a second ruck because he has been available.

I think Parker has been good as captain. It is hard to judge from the outside. But it seems like he has kept the players motivated mid season and tried to set internal standards.

The spirit among the players and their attitude seems to have been pretty good during hub period. I don't think that is something you can take for granted. Even top leaders like Cripps and Fyfe have had subdued periods onfield.
When Cripps is subdued, the umps get distressed and award him a free kick or 3.

Sorry mate, but last night the number of times he got wrapped in a tackle just as he was about to take possession suggested that he was very heavily marked.

Against Ed Curnow sure. He does a number on plenty of mids.

But please point me to the taggers that would've been on him in Collingwood's, Richmond's, Fremantle's and Port Adelaide's midfields?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched the first half then had to wait another day to watch the last half. How do we blow a 39 point win where we had them goalless for almost the entire first half. Brilliant move by Teague. Start by telling the Carlton players to tank then send out a runner to tell them to play for a win, in September of all months, just when we least expect it.

Rain ! You know the Swans are getting back to the form of 2012-2014 when we can't play in the rain. We were 7 goals up and as soon as the ground gets wet all the Swans start falling over. Have they never played in the wet before, like emus on ice-skates. And we were still playing fancy, trying to hit pinpoint passes with a wet ball. It just wasn't happening. We couldn't pick it up, we couldn't kick it straight. Reid fell over several times in one piece of play. McCartin forgot he wa a defender, first dropping a simple chest mark then trying to float across and mark a ball that fell into Carlton hands and resulted in Cottrell's winning goal. He needs to learn to punch the leather off it, he can get it on a 2nd bite if he still wants a mark, just ask Melican. Classic comedy gold, you couldn't write this stuff. Sinclair sprays a simple kick into the corridor and turns it over, a little later he lopes forward with no pressure and kicks it to no-one. Actually quite few did that. Even McInerney (among others) kicked it forward to no advantage. That's not what the coaches mean when they say to keep the ball moving forward in the wet. Don't just kick it to an opposition defender.

The fact is we seem to have mastered dry weather footy, finding the corridor and hitting targets but the skills to handle the wet just aren't there yet. We need to get more wet matches before the season ends and start learning the techniques. The other thing that was missing was manic pressure. Surely in the wet is the best chance to cause a turnover but after quarter time we went into insipid mode a bit.

Ollie Florent was the only one who looked composed in the wet. Umpiring was poor, really poor. Not AFL standard. They need to look at the interpretation of holding the ball and why they kept giving Carlton the advantage "for as long as they need it". These need to be looked at by the AFL. We deserved that even up free to Taylor in front of goal, even if he fluffed it, as did Sinclair, Hayward (otherwise great game) and Reid, Papley seemed to do f_all. Papley the comp's most over-rated small forward at present, leading a line up of out-of-form forwards.

Highlights ? The 7 goal opening stanza. Haywood's run down tackle. Florent's goal kicking. Dawson's omni-presence. Fox was good again. What does Aliir do ? I can't figure it out anymore. This is one where I'll watch the 2nd half over an over. I had hoped Carltank were going to do their usual September tank now they've ruined everything.

What else did Hayward do apart from not scoring late in the game.
Thoughts on the umps were spot on , they should have had at least 5 HTB's against them. Their first 2 goals came from throws.

Took a couple of nice marks, kicked a goal and did a huge run down tackle in the last. One of our better players apart from that 'shot' in the last.

Took a couple of nice marks, kicked a goal and did a huge run down tackle in the last. One of our better players apart from that 'shot' in the last.

Hayward is good for one dumb entry inside 50 a game. His most infamous of these was against Essendon last year when he had Parker screaming for it inside 50 in space. Hayward hesitates, waits for Parker to be out-numbered, and then kicks it to him. And the worst part is, the kick still misses Parker by about 5 metres.

Even last week against Melbourne it was in the fourth quarter I think, he got a handball receive and was in the clear. Logic would suggest he either gets it to a Swans target or he has a shot himself. Nope. Kicks it to two Carlton defenders all on their lonesome.

What else did Hayward do apart from not scoring late in the game.
Thoughts on the umps were spot on , they should have had at least 5 HTB's against them. Their first 2 goals came from throws.

Hayward is becoming a concern IMO. He needs to be given a clear role, like he was against GWS.

Hayward is becoming a concern IMO. He needs to be given a clear role, like he was against GWS.
Now this is not an excuse here but I think it is actually a thing with such players.
I think players like Hayward, McCartin & Florent for example, struggle at times in games because they don't have enough quality experienced players on all our lines, every game they play.
They have been the victims of our need to become versatile through the loss of key players which in turn has them always having to be learning a new role rather than being left in one position to perfect & ultimately master that role.
Take the Tigers & the Cats for example, Hawkins has been out there for all of Miers games, allowing him to perfect the role of playing at his feet.
At the tigers Riewoldt is the one always there over these last few years & now Lynch is too among others.

Our team is always different. That's tough for these young guys but one day it will all come together for them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back