Preview R17: Changes v St.Kilda: ANB, JKH out; Grimes, Michie in

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Making the long trek to the city this weekend. Woo!
Should be good! I was going to go myself but all those soccer flogs have the train i get booked out

Are we really quibbling over whether Matt Jones will add more to the team than Billy Stretch? It's debatable that he does, its incredibly unlikely Matt Jones will be the difference between winning and losing and aren't we better off in the medium to long term getting games into the guys who are going to be prime movers in the side in a few years? Possibly the short term as well, given a few of the kids have already as much of an impact, if not more than Jones has this year? We're not talking about the positives / negatives of playing Boomer Harvey or Dustin Fletcher over one of the kids; it's Matt ******* Jones.

Are we really quibbling over whether Matt Jones will add more to the team than Billy Stretch? It's debatable that he does, its incredibly unlikely Matt Jones will be the difference between winning and losing and aren't we better off in the medium to long term getting games into the guys who are going to be prime movers in the side in a few years? Possibly the short term as well, given a few of the kids have already as much of an impact, if not more than Jones has this year? We're not talking about the positives / negatives of playing Boomer Harvey or Dustin Fletcher over one of the kids; it's Matt ******* Jones.

Mate, Stretch gets the ball 9 times a game.

There is no debate.

There is no debate that Stretch will be a better player too - but not right now.

Mate, Stretch gets the ball 9 times a game.

There is no debate.

There is no debate that Stretch will be a better player too - but not right now.

That's 9.7 times a game to you, which is more than Matt Jones. Stretch is already a more composed and better ball user, and Matt Jones tackles slightly more. How is it not debatable? Please lay out for us exactly what vital commodity it is that Matt Jones provides that can't be replicated by anyone else with two legs.

Edit: My bad, Stretch tackles more than Jones does. Must be the spread, eh?

Editing the edit: Compare tool - M.Jones v Stretch. I concede, Jones clearly a superior player.

Last edited:
That's 9.7 times a game to you, which is more than Matt Jones. Stretch is already a more composed and better ball user, and Matt Jones tackles slightly more. How is it not debatable? Please lay out for us exactly what vital commodity it is that Matt Jones provides that can't be replicated by anyone else with two legs.

Edit: My bad, Stretch tackles more than Jones does. Must be the spread, eh?

Editing the edit: Compare tool - M.Jones v Stretch. I concede, Jones clearly a superior player.

Jones has played every game as the sub this year or has played defensive forward.

We know he's averaged pretty close to 20 touches a game for the two years prior - Matt Jones is fitter and runs harder then Stretch.

If we play Jones, Grimes and Michie against the Dons instead of Stretch, NB and Harmes we win.

The Saints this week is similar - I'm not saying drop all the young guys, but they're tiring based on what I've seen and we can't carry them into another winnable game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jones has played every game as the sub this year or has played defensive forward.

We know he's averaged pretty close to 20 touches a game for the two years prior - Matt Jones is fitter and runs harder then Stretch.

If we play Jones, Grimes and Michie against the Dons instead of Stretch, NB and Harmes we win.

The Saints this week is similar - I'm not saying drop all the young guys, but they're tiring based on what I've seen and we can't carry them into another winnable game.

Percentage of time on ground for their games this season:

Jones:
85% - Hawks
67% - Dogs
89% - Port
47% - Pies
91% - Cats
76% - Eagles
average 76% time on ground.

Stretch:
80% - Sydney
57% - Hawks
80% - Saints
88% - Cats
89% - Eagles
81% - Bombers
87% - Lions
average 80% time on ground.

So where's the evidence of Jones being fitter and harder given he gets less possessions, tackles, etc with almost the same time on ground? Jones averages 2 contested possessions per game... whoop. de. doo.

Percentage of time on ground for their games this season:

And played defensive forward .

The reality is - Stretch and ANB are tired, carrying them into this game is a risk.. they could get up fine, they could not.

Jones will be ready to go and having played almost 50 games there is no doubt he is fitter or stronger.

I'd rather Grimes or Michie to Jones though.

So is the Ben Newton experiment officially over?

Sad.
He didn't play with Casey either...something that they aren't telling us?

Unfortunately for Jamar, Gawn has made it impossible for him to get a gig. He cannot play forward so we cant play them both in the same team.Coming off 30 disposals in the VFL, grimes will play, and I think only 1 of Jones and Michie if any will play

IN : Grimes, Michie
Out : JKH ANB

Also, Grimes, Jamar, Michie, M.Jones, JKH and ANB have ALL been named for Casey?

Saints will go unchanged, unless Reiwoldt pulls up sore in that case Membrey will play

And played defensive forward .

The reality is - Stretch and ANB are tired, carrying them into this game is a risk.. they could get up fine, they could not.

Jones will be ready to go and having played almost 50 games there is no doubt he is fitter or stronger.

I'd rather Grimes or Michie to Jones though.

Why go on.

reality =/= your opinion

He knows Jones isn't anything more than a good VFL player.

We don't any any leg speed or 'metres gained' midfielders in our side though.

With Jones showing some VFL form, it's a good time to bring him in for one of the youngsters for a few weeks.

Okeydokes, what I'm looking for here is what makes Jones apparently unequivocally better than the kids. We've gone through:
  • He gets more possessions... turns out he doesn't.
  • That's because he's spent less time on the ground... turns out he hasn't.
  • Now it's because he's older and has played more games and is fitter and stronger... which has translated into what on the park exactly?
All I can recall his usefulness coming to was only getting soundly beaten by his opponent when he was playing as a defensive forward against the Durgs and such. Has kicked the odd goal. Has certainly butchered more than a few I can recall. His disposal is ordinary. Apparently he is going to be beneficial to the team if we want to win games though. I'm not seeing it, and at the very least its debatable. If it wasn't, he'd be in the team every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back