Preview R18: Changes v Collingwood @ AO

Remove this Banner Ad

I think both Smithers and Keays have the team and Club at heart. I don't think either of them are big-headed glory seekers and they're two of our hardest working players. Both would be very frustrated at W-L results (who isn't?), the manner of losing, and confused by inexplicable selection anomalies.
Unfortunately, I think those acts (not giving off to a teammate in a better poz) are a failure of leadership. They see what's going on, they see the rookie mistakes that the kids are making, the skill errors, the poor goalkicking and they do not trust their teammates. Worse, because Nicks does not trust them, either. In his mind, it's not the game plan, but the players' inability to enact the game plan. It's not poor selection, it's inexperience/youth/pick an excuse.
The senior players can't trust the "game plan" or selection process, either.
So, they think that if it's going to get done, they have to do it. That's not out of malice, but urgency, and passion to do well for the team.
But it's misplaced. It's counter-productive. The juniors are confused and must sense that their older, more experienced teammates do not trust them.

The probelms are many and all have been well-identified in here so I am not going to list them.
They like each other; they get on great, but the trust and teamwork are missing and something Nicks and the leadership group must fix, pronto.
Plain and simple tunnel vision. I don't think there's anything more to it than that. Dangerfield has always been terrible for this too.

Hately showed it but his disposal is that of an eight year old. Smith needs to go to kicking skill school along with Keys and Laird and a few others.
This, and it's a major factor in momentum-killing turnovers that create losses.

They have a natural kicking 'coach' in the side, if only they were prepared to use him in voluntary extra sessions away from training.
DAWSON.
(Interesting last night watching the Jarman brothers on The Front Bar last night, talking about playing kick-to-kick as kids. They alternated every kick, right-foot, then left. Both turned out to be dynamic kicks with both feet.
I've said before that I'd get Keays to train one night a week kicking only with his right foot. If he broke that rule, fine him $100 every kick, say, to go to a Charity. Then watch his right foot improve!)

Yeah even when we were good Collingwood has it over us.

Nothing worse than hearing the "cooolllllliiiinnngwooood" chant in the last quarter once their win is certain. Especially at home.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I remember that in the final in 2008 at AAMI. Awful.

They were the youngest finals team ever or something and they rolled us way to easily at home.

The infamous 'Scott Stevens kicked 6 goals in a final once'.

Remember those two "important" wins we had late last season, cost us JHF and got Nicks a stupid two year extension.

And this is the catch. We lose games to Hawks and North etc then clearly rebuild is going backwards and pressure rises. We win those games and some discount them and look at the draft cost. Hard one for the club to win. Looking at Melbourne Brisbane and Carlton - all had 4-5 years of sub 7 wins which is essentially bottom 4 before rising up the ladder. We are in our 3rd low win year, which suggests at least 1-2 to come

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Fun Facts with Grotto

The Crows have lost their past 6 head to head games with the Pies, with their last win being in 2016 at Adelaide Oval

To remind you all how long thats been, our leading goal kickers for that game was Betts, Lynch and Lyons.

Our players with leading disposals in that game was Brouch, Henderson and Sloane.

Our record against Collingwood since 1991 has been nothing short of abysmal, 15 wins, 30 losses since 1991 :oops:

They're easily our biggest bogey side.

I've said before that I'd get Keays to train one night a week kicking only with his right foot. If he broke that rule, fine him $100 every kick, say, to go to a Charity. Then watch his right foot improve!)

Keays can kick and kick straight, its purely a mental issue. Its amazing that this aspect of his game has not been addressed (maybe at has). He panics, absolutely shits himself with a set shot.

Danger is the same, which is why he is a great kick on the run without having time to think and focus.

Modern day afl players focus on fitness, their goal kicking accuracy takes a huge back seat.

Its interesting your comment about $100 fine, I remember with mates having bets on who would win set shots for goal from 35m out on various angles. Obviously not the same as match day for a million reasons, but more times than not, we would score a goal or have "close misses".

Take a look at Carey vs Lloyd in 2019 goal kicking comp. Sure its a lot easier, but they still nailed them. I would back both these old retied men in their 40s vs Keays in exactly the same scenario.

We're doing what some successfull sides did in their rebuild.

I'm looking at Brisbane and Carlton

We're being overly simplistic and only focusing on one facet of the game, to impove the team slowly from a basketcase to the ultimate goal.
Right now we're trying to get the defensive mechanisms in place.

Sure, it's stopping us kicking a winning score often. But I feel Nicks is sacrificing wins to teach the team components of his gameplan.

The question though is will he piece it together like Fagan (5-17 74%, 5-17 89%, 16-6 119%, 14-3 124%, 15-7 133%) or will it be the Teague (6-5, 7-10, 8-14) sacked and someone else takes everythng the team learnt and puts it together to be good.

IDK, but what I do believe is our team is very young and alot of key contributors are having sophmore slumps (Schoenberg, Thilthorpe, Scholl etc.) It's next year I think midtable is on the radar.
Blind faith and optimism. 16th or 17th next year, book it.

Our record against Collingwood since 1991 has been nothing short of abysmal, 15 wins, 30 losses since 1991 :oops:

They're easily our biggest bogey side.
I remember as kid it made our 93 win in the final H&A game all the more that much greater.

Just checking on that, we had lost our past 4 head to head games to them. One of them was worse than Port territory of 119, 123pts.

Blind faith and optimism. 16th or 17th next year, book it.
Some posters actually believe we would make the 8 this year. Like as in they had full confidence of it being a realistic scenario. lol :D

We wont be competing realistcally for the 8 till at least 2026.

Nicks sounding frustrated with the Crouch questions. Well stop yo-yoing him then. Keep him out!
Yep

We've created the questions with our actions

Our actions are unexplainable

If he wasn't part of the midfield mix we're after then we wouldn't have kept bringing him back

If he's part of our plans next season and beyond as Nicks is saying then we wouldn't keep dropping him

Our opinion on Crouch changes like the wind

(Log in to remove this ad.)

V True re some of those

you’ll never have a 22 of all gun players

Impossible with salary cap etc

Richmond had a few duds in their premiership years , it’s just we let them play well . Townsend and Castagna come to mind immediately

Where we are lacking right now is at the top end , cream of the crop . Star players with our 1st round picks like melb have . Star players make the lesser lights look better too

Actually we are also lacking good average players too , you’re right . Even our role players can’t perform their roles

Because we currently need them to do too much. When our top end talent develops/arrrives the role players will be fine

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So Rowey going to town on selection, talks about Crouch should be in but we move Keays to high half forward, Laird to defence.

Picked up some of Nicks comments about midfield mix.

Then on Kellys comments about SANFL pressure and then the ins all didnt play SANFL. Named a few juniors should be played.

Some posters actually believe we would make the 8 this year. Like as in they had full confidence of it being a realistic scenario. lol :D

Until they get the right people in the right jobs nothing will change but once you get the right people it can change real quick.

I remember as kid it made our 93 win in the final H&A game all the more that much greater.

Just checking on that, we had lost our past 4 head to head games to them. One of them was worse than Port territory of 119, 123pts.

From memory I reckon that 1993 final round win might have been our first ever win against them.

I also vaguely remember that after 1993 win that I'm pretty sure we didn't beat them again until around 1998?

There was one game I can remember at Vic Park when Blight was coaching us where we should have won, we had about a heap more scoring shots and only lost by a couple of points.

(normally I go and check when they were, but I am just being lazy today)

So Rowey going to town on selection, talks about Crouch should be in but we move Keays to high half forward, Laird to defence.

Then on Kellys comments about SANFL pressure and then the ins all didnt play SANFL. Named a few juniors should be played.

Sounds like Rowey has finally woken up to the fact that Nicks is a dud.

It's just a shame that it wasn't earlier as he was the one of the main culprits who was continually pressuring the club to re-sign him at the start of the year.

If Nicks was willing to rotate he could do that, but they're pretty fixated on the same 3 guys being at 90% of the bounces it severely limits what they can do.

Interesting couple of answers from Theo in the twitter feed, cant half tell he's closely aligned to the club

It definitely smells like he's running the club lines. Critical of the thought/suggestions players in SANFL getting a call-up.

"Can't bring Worrell in cause we have Smith, Doedee and Dawson down back and you can't drop any of them!" like the thought of moving Dawson further up the ground is just something that won't be considered.

Hahahaha that was funny , they were so convinced

Many were convinced we’d improve out of sight too

Critical of the thought/suggestions players in SANFL getting a call-up.

FFS the win is so irrelevant in the context of our rebuild, we should be not only getting games into kids, but seeing if they are good enough to play at AFL level.

Unbelievable.

How a player like Newchurch is not even given a single game is a disgrace.

Sounds like Rowey has finally woken up to the fact that Nicks is a dud.

It's just a shame that it wasn't earlier as he was the one of the main culprits who was continually pressuring the club to re-sign him at the start of the year.
Difference is now his lad is now one of the ones stuck on the selection merry-go-round.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back