Preview R18: Melbourne vs Essendon, the Melksham-Hibberd-Brown trophy, Carrara, 19/09/2020, 2:10PM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Standard operating procedure.

Player is in a run of form when clear oppotrunity opens up. We pick old cloggers instead because we're building our finals brand and there is too much risk we'll lose if we dont (which is an unironic position the club takes). Player gets injured and we then lament our luck as though that's the reason we fail to develop teams.
Yep happened with draper and Mozzie

Of course there is, we could play a kid instead. Or one of the blokes who’s in the gun for delisting. That’s what these games are for. Trying things out at AFL level. That’s why we played Stewart in defence today.

I get it for stars and clubs greats. I’ve got nothing against him but let’s not pretend he’s some significant player. He’s played 130 games, has been finished for two years and what... maybe has one top 10 B&F finish in his whole career? He’s never been a top player for us. He showed some promise early, then played VFL/backup to Ryder, had maybe one or two good years around being suspended, and then was physically cooked.
The time to bring in the kid was in the last couple of games, not now. Those in the gun have had their chances al throughout the year. You're kidding yourself if you think they haven't made the call.

He went through the saga and stayed loyal after. Heath Hocking, Ben Howlett, all the players who went through the saga apart from Stanton (cos I think he was injured?) so far that have retired got a farewell game late in their last season so far.
Yep happened with draper and Mozzie
How the hell did it happen with Mozzie?

The time to bring in the kid was in the last couple of games, not now. Those in the gun have had their chances al throughout the year. You're kidding yourself if you think they haven't made the call.

He went through the saga and stayed loyal after. Heath Hocking, Ben Howlett, all the players who went through the saga apart from Stanton (cos I think he was injured?) so far that have retired got a farewell game late in their last season so far.

How the hell did it happen with Mozzie?
He played well in the vfl then did an injury

He played well in the vfl then did an injury
He was nowhere near the senior side. Like, at the time he got injured, he had one goal in 4 games. Ridley, Mynott, Laverde, Begley and Jok were all well ahead of him in terms of being a chance an AFL game at the point he got injured.

He was nowhere near the senior side. Like, at the time he got injured, he had one goal in 4 games. Ridley, Mynott, Laverde, Begley and Jok were all well ahead of him in terms of being a chance an AFL game at the point he got injured.
I just thought try him he looked fit and we needed some excitement

Schnitzengruben

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Surely McQuillian gets a look in this week. What's there to lose? Wouldn't mind a reason to actually tune in.

vass44

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I’d like to see this:

Out: Phillips, Townsend, Gleeson, Cutler, Hibberd
In: Bellchambers, Hooker, Hurley, Laverde, McQuillan

Zerk Hurley Saad
Ridley Stewart Smith
Langford Shiel Ham
Stringer Laverde Tippa
Daniher Hooker Snelling

Bellchambers Parish Merrett

Interchange: Clarke Guelfi McQuillan Draper

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Now is not the time to be making these suggestions of changes that might give Melbourne a chance to choke. I welcome the chance for Melbourne to kick Collingwood out of the 8.
Out: Phillips, Shiel, Merrett, Ridley,
In: McQuillan, Bellchambers, Gown, Jones

Now is not the time to be making these suggestions of changes that might give Melbourne a chance to choke. I welcome the chance for Melbourne to kick Collingwood out of the 8.
Out: Phillips, Shiel, Merrett, Ridley,
In: McQuillan, Bellchambers, Gown, Jones
Collingwood will probably book their place against Gold Coast

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
If will be interesting to see if we get a four quarter performance from the group. I think thats something that has been clearly missing - even in our last win against Hawthorne. We probably had our excuses for effort against Geelong but not against Port and definitely not against Melbourne.

Dan Richardson has come out and said we need more resilient players, both physically and mentally which is a big whack on the group (may have been directed at Dodoro but even still). As GM of football it's an interesting move. Is it all on the players or does Dan need to at least take some responsibility for the physical preparation and conditioning of the group? Either way does the group take this personally and respond?

Lloydy has also said recently that Rutten will be happy to let certain players go. Players who refuse follow instructions - even good ones apparently. Wonder which 'good' players was referring to?

Rutten's gameplan and player buy-in has also been questioned in the last week. Are the players listening to his message? Do they actually know how to play the way he wants them too yet? Comparisons with St Kilda and Freo's turnaround and output have been made by plenty. Rutten is already under the pump but a decent performance here could at least show the players 'get it' and be a slight reprieve.

With plenty of careers on the line and the club desperate for some hope to sell to the members, the level of effort this week will be telling, both individually and collectively.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
But that means we miss out on a higher pick guaranteed.

Honestly I just want to see a competitive level of team effort. It's like watching 2016, you don't expect anything, you don't really care about a W or an L, you just want to see the players get out there and give it a genuine crack.

We've got enough decent players that everyone going out and working hard could result in a win, but really, I want to see some effort and pride from the players to say "you know what, it's been a s**t season, but we're going to leave everything out there this week for ourselves and for the supporters."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back