Preview R18 - Vs. Geelong

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Outs - Amartey, Taylor and Bell
Ins - Sinclair, Dawson and Rowbottom

Last of the games out of the Cairns hub and we’ve been competitive just fading to a stronger Lions outfit.

Cats capitulated to the Tigers so no doubt looking to finish off home and away season strongly.

I would leave Sinclair out. At 30 he is not a part of the future and it is not productive to bring him back. I think we have to look to what we will be doing next year and Aliir and Amartey might just be the go. I wonder if we are the first team to have two players of African background playing in the team? I am dead sure there has never been two African born players rucking together.

I would leave Sinclair out. At 30 he is not a part of the future and it is not productive to bring him back. I think we have to look to what we will be doing next year and Aliir and Amartey might just be the go. I wonder if we are the first team to have two players of African background playing in the team? I am dead sure there has never been two African born players rucking together.

Sinclair looked absolutely cooked he's done a great service but it's time to give him a rest

Last edited:

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
If Amartey isn’t contracted for next year he may struggle. Didn’t show much in his first game.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans

I am dead sure there has never been (inclusive of recent events) two African “born” players rucking together as well... Amartey was born in Australia lol

African heritage though yes.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
If Amartey isn’t contracted for next year he may struggle. Didn’t show much in his first game.

I hope he gets another week to be sure but I don’t see him being retained personally. Not tall enough to be a permanent ruckman and not competitive enough as a number 1/2 forward. I think I said that I don’t recall him being the target of a marking contest once last week.

(For the record I had the same thoughts last year and would have delisted Amartey in 2019)

I hope he gets another week to be sure but I don’t see him being retained personally. Not tall enough to be a permanent ruckman and not competitive enough as a number 1/2 forward. I think I said that I don’t recall him being the target of a marking contest once last week.

(For the record I had the same thoughts last year and would have delisted Amartey in 2019)

I think that excellent intercept mark followed by a shocking kick to no one basically sums up everything I've seen of Amartey in his time at the club.

Did all the hard work to get to the contest and effect the turn-over, then lacked any sort of nous to slow it down or identify a target inside 50.

Can't hurt to try him again this week though. Give Sinclair a hard-earned early retirement for the year, and see what Amartey can do against a Geelong team that doesn't have a dominant ruck anyway.

Dubsforsam1

Team Captain
Apr 5, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
Is it worth going with Aliir and Reid as our two ruck options. Aliir in the back half and Reid in the front half?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Can't hurt to try him again this week though. Give Sinclair a hard-earned early retirement for the year, and see what Amartey can do against a Geelong team that doesn't have a dominant ruck anyway.

Oh I agree. Roll him out this week and give him another chance.

Sounds like Gazza and Sellwood will play. Rohan likely to miss. They may opt to give a couple of their older players a rest - Taylor and Hawkins. They need to win to make top 4. Still I am beginning to think this may be closer than most think.

Sounds like Gazza and Sellwood will play. Rohan likely to miss. They may opt to give a couple of their older players a rest - Taylor and Hawkins. They need to win to make top 4. Still I am beginning to think this may be closer than most think.
It'll end up like the Brisbane game. We'll be close for a bit then BAM 5 goals to 0 in like 10 minutes and we never recover

It'll end up like the Brisbane game. We'll be close for a bit then BAM 5 goals to 0 in like 10 minutes and we never recover

Probably. I do not expect us to be blown away.

Crust

All Australian
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SUANFC

GEELONG could make up to four changes for Sunday's clash against Sydney as the Cats look to lock in a top-four spot.

Skipper Joel Selwood will return for his first game since round 12, while Gary Ablett is also a confirmed starter after completing his 14 days of quarantine.

RACE FOR FINALS What Cats need for double chance

Gary Rohan is available after he was a late withdrawal with a glute issue last week, while Jack Steven has also recovered from the jaw injury that has kept him out of the past three matches.

But Rhys Stanley will miss a third match, which means Esava Ratugolea and Mark Blicavs look likely to share ruck duties.

BAH! I wanted to see Gazza (Rohan) have a crack one last time this year... Why is he likely to miss mate? I'm not up to date on him.

Gary Rohan is available after he was a late withdrawal with a glute issue last week, while Jack Steven has also recovered from the jaw injury that has kept him out of the past three matches.

But Rhys Stanley will miss a third match, which means Esava Ratugolea and Mark Blicavs look likely to share ruck duties.
AH HUH!! Yes!

Sorry Grand Uncle Horace, I should have read ahead. :thumbsu:

Also, thanks Crust :thumbsu:

Let's just get this over with...the end of this season cannot come quick enough. Play whoever, not really fussed who trots out. This game should be done very quickly.

I'm usually a pretty optimistic person when it comes to our chances in a match. We won't even come close in this one. Geelong playing for a top four spot, responding after a pretty bad loss last week, against our mob who very well might've ECO'd for the season = nightmare.
Never underestimate the joy teams that are out of the running get from playing havoc with the 8 despite being out of contention.

Back