Preview R18 - Vs. Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

I am hoping that where Bell is concerned, the coaches have seen enough of Wicks to know he's worth keeping around, while Bell they aren't as convinced by, so are giving him one more shot to prove himself?

Key word being 'hoping'.
I look forward to Bell getting in Reid's space causing the ball to spill out for an easy Geelong rebound :D

The Gould angst is just indicative of the unrealistic expectations that a player's draft positioning casts over them. When Maibaum was taken at pick 45 in 2016, there weren't mass calls for his debut in his first season. When Melican was taken as a rookie in 2015, there were no calls for his debut either.

Just because Gould was taken as a second round pick, doesn't make him any more or less ready for senior footy than any other key position player learning the craft. In Gould's case, the restraint by Horse is even more justified given the well-documented question marks over his fitness.
I suspect some posters love the ’idea’ of Gould more than the reality of Gould. When he was drafted a lot of posters were excited about us getting a big, tough, no nonsense defender who would throw his weight around and act as an enforcer - plus he’d had a good year in SANFL so it was assumed he was pretty much ‘good to go’. The reality (based on the reports coming in from the scratch matches and a few comments from the club) was that he has been comparatively unfit, struggled to man up and got lost a bit too easily in games.

Let’s see if he’s learnt from what appears to have been a tough first season and hopefully he comes back next year ready to give us what we need.

I thought him more than OK. Got to good position. Unfortunately we are so used to just bombing long to Sam Reid we forget there is someone else in the forward line.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not sure about more than ok.
3 kicks, 3 clangers, 2 turnovers.

Looked lost at senior level to me. I don’t rate his physicality and competitiveness personally which is pretty important for a key forward come ruckman.

Talk about serious quality coming into a team, just the 2 Brownlows, 5x MVPs, 14 All Australians, and 13 Best and Fairest wins

GEELONG
In:
J.Selwood, G.Rohan, J.Steven, G.Ablett
Out: B.Jarvis (omitted), L.Fogarty (omitted), B.Close (omitted), T.Atkins (injured)

Still think you guys will push us pretty hard, as you've been so good this year, with what you've had to work with. Hoping for a good contest to prep us for finals, and I think it's also a mark of respect that we're bringing in so many big names instead of thinking we'll just walk it in :)

That is a ridiculous amount of accolades though, haha

Dunno if it means much but McCartin named at FF

Pretty sure he was named forward last week and everyone thought he’d line up that way until Amartey let the cat out of the bag that he would be sharing the ruck forward role with Aliir.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Emergencies are Ling, Foot, Wicks and COR.
Unsure if that means anything in regards to future prospects on the list (all out of contract except COR).

Have to wonder about the future of COR actually. Is 25 next year, has been on the list 5 years now (6 in 2021) and is an emergency in a side on target to finish 15th. Has a contract for 2021 but have to wonder whether we will test if there is any interest in him.

With Fox and Ling putting themselves forward this year you have to wonder.

Serious question.

How does one "get in Reids space"?
See, Reid is statistically the number 1 space creator in the league. And Bell gets in the way of that /s

Seriously though, Bell and Reid often both fly for the same ball and spoil each other, allowing one of their opponents to stay on the ground and get the crumb. Reid is usually a good mark, if Bell was a footballer he would let Reid fly and mark it or let him bring it to ground and he could fail to apply any ground pressure get the crumb. Or just get out of the way

Emergencies are Ling, Foot, Wicks and COR.
Unsure if that means anything in regards to future prospects on the list (all out of contract except COR).

Have to wonder about the future of COR actually. Is 25 next year, has been on the list 5 years now (6 in 2021) and is an emergency in a side on target to finish 15th. Has a contract for 2021 but have to wonder whether we will test if there is any interest in him.

With Fox and Ling putting themselves forward this year you have to wonder.
There is no interest in him.

Reduced list sizes (presumably) mean guys like that get replaced by pick 75 because pick 75 still has a chance to be a consistent and good to great AFL football player and that is no disrespect to to him.

There is no reason to trade him in because you have full disclosure on what he can do. Better to take the punt.

See, Reid is statistically the number 1 space creator in the league. And Bell gets in the way of that /s

Seriously though, Bell and Reid often both fly for the same ball and spoil each other, allowing one of their opponents to stay on the ground and get the crumb. Reid is usually a good mark, if Bell was a footballer he would let Reid fly and mark it or let him bring it to ground and he could fail to apply any ground pressure get the crumb. Or just get out of the way

This is what I mean by stats being rubbish. Too many in the comp get games because some BS stat is made up to justify their selection.

No such thing as poor players anymore, just strategically low contributors.

This is what I mean by stats being rubbish. Too many in the comp get games because some BS stat is made up to justify their selection.

No such thing as poor players anymore, just strategically low contributors.

Pretty sure that stat was made up lol

Pretty sure that stat was made up lol

I'm not sure that it is. I think it was Gerard Healy who was talking about how Reid was number 1 in the comp at creating space for either himself or his fellow forwards. Can't remember. But I remember scoffing at it then when I heard it.

I'm not sure that it is. I think it was Gerard Healy who was talking about how Reid was number 1 in the comp at creating space for either himself or his fellow forwards. Can't remember. But I remember scoffing at it then when I heard it.
Reid is top five for beating his man inside 50.
Actual stat.
Plus his uncle owns a zorbing franchise .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back