Preview R18 - Vs. Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

This is what I mean by stats being rubbish. Too many in the comp get games because some BS stat is made up to justify their selection.

No such thing as poor players anymore, just strategically low contributors.
I literally pulled it out of my ass due to comments as to why Reid isn't dropped because "he makes space for other forwards to run into"

Some Footy Live stats for the final game, good, bad and interesting.

Since Round 10, Swans have averaged 29 disposals inside 50 - fewest of any side

35% of Sydney’s score has been launched from attacking midfield chains - ranked 2nd

In the past 4 rounds Sydney and Port are the only two teams not to concede a score from a kick-in chain (**remember when we used to give these up all the time!).

Since Round 10, Wicks ranks 2nd at the club for tackle attempts and effective tackles.

Tom McCartin has outmarked his direct opponent in 55% of the one on one contests he has defended since Round 14. Ranked no.1 of the top 25 in the AFL

Since Round 10, Swans have conceded 6 marks per game in defensive 50 (ranked 1st).

Have won only 9% of of offensive one on one contests in the past 4 rounds ranked last and 17% below the AFL average.

We really do need to fix that kick going inside 50

Rampe last game Round 12, 5 games ago. McCartin goes back and does a wonderful job but weakens an already poor forward line. Then we even get less out of Reid due to McCartin not providing support and others not as good as him.

Back line performs admirably well due to McCartin being a gun, Fox stepping up and Melican finding his junior self (but miss Rampe not driving us forward).

Those stats show a fair bit of those changes imo

Rampe last game Round 12, 5 games ago. McCartin goes back and does a wonderful job but weakens an already poor forward line. Then we even get less out of Reid due to McCartin not providing support and others not as good as him.

Back line performs admirably well due to McCartin being a gun, Fox stepping up and Melican finding his junior self (but miss Rampe not driving us forward).

And McLean being injured who has been better than Reid.

I love McCartin and want him to be the next big forward but he is like, 20 and never kicked more than 3 goals in a game yet. Missing Rampe is more impactful than McCartin not being there imo but our inside 50s for the past few years (outside of Buddy) have been streaky at best

And McLean being injured who has been better than Reid.

Can’t agree McLean has been better (*not arguing Reid has been better either).

Average of a touch over 2 marks per game. Gets to sit down deep whilst Reid leads up the ground so has a few more goals. Hasn’t had to ruck.

Both of their outputs are not good enough.

Reid averaged 4.6 marks in his first full season whilst younger (2 years!) and less physically capable than McLean.

McLean is a limited player and won’t amount to much, mark my words happy for you to bookmark this.

Can’t agree McLean has been better (*not arguing Reid has been better either).

Average of a touch over 2 marks per game. Gets to sit down deep whilst Reid leads up the ground so has a few more goals. Hasn’t had to ruck.

Both of their outputs are not good enough.

Reid averaged 4.6 marks in his first full season whilst younger (2 years!) and less physically capable than McLean.

McLean is a limited player and won’t amount to much, mark my words happy for you to bookmark this.

Never said he would. I said he's been better and he has been.

0.8 goals per game > 0.4 goals a game and not weak as piss in a contest like Reid.

Never said he would. I said he's been better and he has been.

0.8 goals per game > 0.4 goals a game and not weak as piss in a contest like Reid.

He hasn’t.

Again with the goals per game being the only stat and consideration for a player named in the forward line. If Reid, or any player for that matter, got to stay 100% as a forward you’d have a comparative point. But that is most clearly not the case.

Reid has been s**t. McLean has been imo largely unimpressive. I am not even convinced he gets a contract and my main reason for doing so is he is tall and we don’t have enough tall players.

Going to end it there....

He hasn’t.

Again with the goals per game being the only stat and consideration for a player named in the forward line. If Reid, or any player for that matter, got to stay 100% as a forward you’d have a comparative point. But that is most clearly not the case.

Reid has been sh*t. McLean has been imo largely unimpressive. I am not even convinced he gets a contract and my main reason for doing so is he is tall and we don’t have enough tall players.

Going to end it there....

Reid has spent as much time forward as McLean has this year. He just can't mark, kick or win a contest for s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't know what kind of bloke he is. Can play footy though.
A good enough of a bloke to take a picture with an old high school mate of mine when he walked into a fish and chip shop in the middle of a nowhere suburb a few years back

I am hoping that where Bell is concerned, the coaches have seen enough of Wicks to know he's worth keeping around, while Bell they aren't as convinced by, so are giving him one more shot to prove himself?

Key word being 'hoping'.

it feels like the club is really pushing/hoping bell works out

for whatever reason, hes featured quite a bit on the swans website and i doubt you do that for a player ur gna show the door

hope the club isnt blinded

Spell check lol

am i not allowed to short hand ur?

btw if you want to nitpick, in the english language, would've or would have is not the same as would of. in fact, would of blah is not correct at all, should fix that up on the board instead :D

Reid has spent as much time forward as McLean has this year. He just can't mark, kick or win a contest for sh*t.
And yet Reid averages twice as many marks per game, 50% more contested possessions, has a better disposal effectiveness percentage...

Reid has been disappointing, but be real. He has still had more impact than McLean this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back