Review R19: Adelaide v Carlton - Crows n’ da Hood: Cripps v Crudds (Grumble Responsibly)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t want to upset anyone, but driving home from the shops, flicking through the radio stations and caught the end of Scott Camporeale’s interview. Says he has aspirations to be a head coach

Now this could be a positive, feel it’s more likely to be a negative for us (and he’s a distant relative of mine!).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

That's part of the problem .....we simply repeat every week, like Groundhog Day

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got. I don't know what it will take to get it through the blocks of cement posing for heads with brains on those in charge at the club.

I don’t want to upset anyone, but driving home from the shops, flicking through the radio stations and caught the end of Scott Camporeale’s interview. Says he has aspirations to be a head coach

Now this could be a positive, feel it’s more likely to be a negative for us (and he’s a distant relative of mine!).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If they fire Pyke, put your house on Camporeale to get the senior Crows job.

Sure, but they are on the way up and we’re on the way down.
Yep. I wouldn't be pointing at too many other clubs right now.

We smell as bad as any club in the league.

Board / Senior admin .... Yuk
Selection ... Yuk
Coaching panel ... Yuk
Best 22 ... Yuk
Retention ... Yuk
Handling of young players development ... Yuk
Owning our current yukness ... Yuk

Sent using Tapatalk App on Android.

An interesting game to watch from my vantage point at the MCG yesterday.

The energy I saw earlier in the year against St Kilda, West Coast and Gold Coast (Melbourne member who travels occasionally) had morphed back into the level I witnessed against North Melbourne at Marvel in the early rounds.

Carlton outhustled, outenthused and outperformed for the four quarters, yet I think in a poor sign for them, won by four and a half goals. A good side beats Adelaide by 50+ yesterday and I think all those watching the game would acknowledge that. Thankfully in part, the umpiring gave Adelaide a hand. Had the Crows had that umpiring at Metricon recently that game would have finished with a 150+ point difference.

Watching yesterday, the much maligned back-six was not the problem yesterday. I defy any back six in the league to mop up consistently on a clearance difference of 27-52. It’s not possible. The back six issue is with oppositions being comfortable allowing Keath/Talia/Hartigan handling the football as often as possible. I was surprise to hear Keath is being managed due to an injury, yet he was an emergency yesterday. That is a player welfare concern for mine.
Very salient points. I did note on the scoreboard at 3 qtr time (I think) that they'd had 13 hit outs to advantage to our 2 at that point. I lost count of the time they had 3 free runners off the defensive side (centre clearances and stoppages) with pretty much zero pressure on them. I reluctantly had to go along with a few friends - a mix of Carlton and Adelaide fans, when I knew the result was never in doubt for Carlton even at qtr time. We had zero zip, energy, willingness to work hard to make position, nor any willingness to change up our centre square, clearance set-up across the game.

Another alarming stat - 16 marks to 5 up forward...although, almost unbelievably the F50 entries were pretty much even. Unfortunately for us, we keep recruiting midget forwards, not small forwards. This allows a mid sized backman to easily help out teammates when we did go direct to the likes of JJ. We cannot be playing two short people like Murphy and Stengle, and / or Betts in our forward line, it's too easy for defenders to pick them off. Even Eddie doesn't have the X-factor any more. It worked with CC, as he had explosive pace, but we no-one close now. One of my Carlton supporting friends said that Cripps was deemed a tad slow in his early days, so much so that he thought he wouldn't make it. Cripps got himself a sprint trainer - outside of what Carlton normally do - to gain an extra yard in pace, so he was able to compete at an AFL level. How many of our players would do this? Tex would be a prime candidate.

In any case, our coaching and selection decisions are deplorable, as is our team's morale. Something has to give, and it smells more of the senior coach to me than anything else.

Very very poor performance yesterday.

As others have said, it would have been the ideal opportunity yesterday to change structure.

With Keath injured/rested, bring in another runner off HB.

Hartigan and Talia cover their talls, Kelly plays on Silvagni and we gain some drive off HB. Instead, we party like it’s 2008 and play Andy Otten.

Mackay and Atkins must be gone next year. Both offer absolutely nothing when the going gets tough.

And as much as Jenkins has been better since being dropped, he could do well to watch Rory Lobb’s game today. Works hard, chases, tackles and has good game sense.

I don’t know where we go from here, but I can’t see much changing with the current coaches/administration.

An interesting game to watch from my vantage point at the MCG yesterday.

Carlton outhustled, outenthused and outperformed for the four quarters, yet I think in a poor sign for them, won by four and a half goals. A good side beats Adelaide by 50+ yesterday and I think all those watching the game would acknowledge that. Thankfully in part, the umpiring gave Adelaide a hand. Had the Crows had that umpiring at Metricon recently that game would have finished with a 150+ point difference.
might want to look at our recent/mid-term history - coming off a 2 win season in 2018 - relatively speaking we think we are trending in the right direction

Has been a revelation. But if not for Sauce’s injury ROB would still be in the 2’s every week and the subject of comments like “Can’t just bring in youth for the sake of youth, they need to prove they can play at the top level.”

The club is falling for age old syndrome of being comfortable with repetitive selecting proven players even as their output is in decline with age. Lesser output is still regarded as the better bet compared to trying a newbie who risks failing dismally. Dragging out this process is costly on many fronts, not the least of which is general team morale. Our selection process has been damagingly poor under Pyke.

Was surprised to see Sloane's stats after the game...on paper it looks like he had a good game but when watching he didn't really seem to have any influence.
Might need to keep an eye out for him when i watch the replay as i could be wrong.

Saw him lined up on Cripps at a fair few centre bounces and he just let Cripps run in and grab the ball with ease tbh...didn't appear to be a whole lot of urgency from Rory.

IMO he's looking like a guy who's not playing for the coach...i reckon he wants changes made. Reminds me of Cripps just before Bolton got sacked...his 3 games before it happened he was putrid and looked disinterested...including getting towelled up by 2nd gamer Dylan Clarke from Essendon. He just wasn't interested. And this is from a guy who we know is a competitive beast and one of the best players in the comp. Poorly run clubs negatively impact even the best players.

We know Sloane is a competitive beast as well, but don't think we'll see it too much more unless things change at higher levels at Adelaide. Which is unfortunate as he's one of my favourite non-Carlton players with the way he goes about it usually.

Sloane often seems to fly under the radar but yes he was largely ineffective, but this is something that can be levelled at almost everyone of the Crows for some time now.

Asking Sloane to tag Cripps was stupid in the extreme. Riley Knight has done it and he did fk all yesterday.
SLOW SLOW SLOW in all lines. A group went over to the G, spent good hard-earned and most thought with the ins and outs it would be a L.

Atkins jogs around doing stuff all, doesn't chase, doesn't tackle, not fast enough. Would rather Kelly on the wing that this front running, soft rooster.
Mackay...200 plus games and really we could have got 10+ games into some kids instead of what he has provided.
Hartigan.. his first half was a clangerfest.
Talia has lost a yard or two of pace.
The Crouch boys have average kicking skills and Matt is too slow.
Our midfield setups have been rubbish for a long time...Campo needs to take his skills somewhere far, far away.
JJ would rather wrestle all day than actually lead up into space.
Murphy should have been dropped weeks ago. Can we find a small forward taller than 6ft?

Dropping Greenwood and Betts was stupid. Bringing Wilson and Otten in was even stupider. Our selections have been stupid for most of the season. Gold pass for bruise-free Atkins.

And all Don can say is disappointing, we will review it, we are still in the 8....$&^$%&^$&($#%^$&^($^%#%^$&($( YOU!!!!!

Thankfully I can't make the Saints game due to birthdays as I can't see us winning another game this year. Over it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Asking Sloane to tag Cripps was stupid in the extreme. Riley Knight has done it and he did fk all yesterday.
SLOW SLOW SLOW in all lines. A group went over to the G, spent good hard-earned and most thought with the ins and outs it would be a L.

Atkins jogs around doing stuff all, doesn't chase, doesn't tackle, not fast enough. Would rather Kelly on the wing that this front running, soft rooster.
Mackay...200 plus games and really we could have got 10+ games into some kids instead of what he has provided.
Our midfield setups have been rubbish for a long time...Campo needs to take his skills somewhere far, far away.
Murphy should have been dropped weeks ago. Can we find a small forward taller than 6ft?

Thankfully I can't make the Saints game due to birthdays as I can't see us winning another game this year. Over it.
Wow captures the picture perfectly. 💯 agree.

Dropping Greenwood and Betts was stupid. Bringing Wilson and Otten in was even stupider. Our selections have been stupid for most of the season. Gold pass for bruise-free Atkins.

And all Don can say is disappointing, we will review it, we are still in the 8....$&^$%&^$&($#%^$&^($^%#%^$&($( YOU!!!!!

"Murphy should have been dropped weeks ago. Can we find a small forward taller than 6ft?"

Dropping Betts and Greenwood was the right call imo. Stengle got 2 which is more than Betts would have, so nothing lost there.

Wilson, sure he was in form, but another inside mid? Cmon, even Pyke said we need more speed (Jones)

Keath out was an opportunity to change the dynamic down back. We are too tall and slow.

Keath out for Scholl for me.

Knight on Cripps from the opening bounce.

But no, we let Cripps run loose and play Otten

Asking Sloane to tag Cripps was stupid in the extreme.

Maybe.

Left to play his game, Cripps is untaggable. Can be taken from a great game to a good game. That's it.

Bolton's last desperate throw of the dice was to make Cripps be an in and under distributor; feeding out to the infant mids who were not ready to be week in week out matchwinners.

It worked for about a game and a half. But quickly became a recipe for making Cripps taggable. Left to play the game, he is not.

Maybe.

Left to play his game, Cripps is untaggable. Can be taken from a great game to a good game. That's it.

Bolton's last desperate throw of the dice was to make Cripps be an in and under distributor; feeding out to the infant mids who were not ready to be week in week out matchwinners.

It worked for about a game and a half. But quickly became a recipe for making Cripps taggable. Left to play the game, he is not.
I was at the G and Cripps had no one on him in general play for most of the first half. He just ran wherever he wanted. Rory wasn't the right player to play on him. Leftfield choice might have been Kelly with Rory playing off HB.

Dropping Betts and Greenwood was the right call imo. Stengle got 2 which is more than Betts would have, so nothing lost there.

Wilson, sure he was in form, but another inside mid? Cmon, even Pyke said we need more speed (Jones)

Keath out was an opportunity to change the dynamic down back. We are too tall and slow.

Keath out for Scholl for me.

Knight on Cripps from the opening bounce.

But no, we let Cripps run loose and play Otten

Murphy should have been the one to go. I like him, but the guy is just too short and can't time his leads so the mids kick it on his head all the damn time. Eddie and Stengle was the play. Scholl or Butts instead of Otten.

"Murphy should have been dropped weeks ago. Can we find a small forward taller than 6ft?"

6ft players are small in AFL today. If you are going to be short you need to be fast and have a good leap. He's not fast enough or tackles enough when the ground is dry. JJ should be watching his tapes and Murphy should be getting the Joe the goose goals. I actually like the way he plays, but don't think he is going to make it long term.

I was at the G and Cripps had no one on him in general play for most of the first half. He just ran wherever he wanted. Rory wasn't the right player to play on him. Leftfield choice might have been Kelly with Rory playing off HB.

Well I have the disadvantage of a TV viewing of this game. However my information is that that Cripps was tagged for around half of the game, and got around half of his stats in that time.

I will be honest - I read these threads as a rare gloating opportunity. But being rational, I would worry most about one of Adelaide's most impressive players - O' Brien in the ruck.

Looks like a great prospect, and you don't see a good young ruck every day.

And yet he conceded 4 consecutive goals to his opposing ruckman. And him not even in the picture at the contest. Would have been 5 if not for a miss from 25 out in front.

The kid might be lazy - I don't think so.

Or let down by how his coaches are using him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back