Review R19: Port v Brisbane Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Such a hollow victory. Looking at the bigger picture, we expect more from this side.

Belting a crap side in a dead rubber means very little. If we were in the finals chase it would have meant a lot more to me.

why bother watching the game then? just give up half way through the season when it was obvious we were stuffed.

Sep 8, 2014
Look behind you!
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Detroit Red Wings, Oakland Raiders
Great win guys. I must say as a Lions fan I am well and truly accustomed to watching beltings, but 4 goals for Butcher is taking the piss. That hurts more than the margin.

Jerks...
Let go of your anger, my son. Let Butcher's love guide you.
270775_4a0bac88682b7c8fc0a6521a1489db52.png

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
You were one of the people who said that Butcher would get crucified because we weren't playing another key forward with him, weren't you?
Yep, I was wrong. I totally underestimated the ineptitude of Brisbane. Butcher had an elite game, but his judgement will come next week.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
I don't understand why when there is a stoppage in our forward 50, we have a small in our goalsquare and Butcher lining up 30-40m further up field, sometimes further from the goals than where the ball is being bounced or thrown in.

Mate, we've been stuffed since 2014. I spotted it one showdown. There was a throw in at centre wing, equal distance from both goals, and was a good camera angle, so I compared our F50 setup to the crows. We didn't have one. They had Walker and Betts one out. Schulz was on the HFF and Wingard was on the 50 I think. It worked for us that year because Walsh had our middle seriously ticking over, but I don't believe it is a sustainable structure at all.

What has happened since is our F50 setups have gotten even less sustainable, and our midfield has decreased in output.

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
people are upset because they're still believing we're at 2014 level.

that was a one off. we surprised the comp and the comp caught up.

in 2 years since then (apart from one first quarter against hawthorn) we've shown nothing you wouldn't expect from a 6th-10th side. we're an average side. which is still a s**t ton better than we were before 2013. but it'd be nice to see some forward progression. i'm not really sure if we've seen that. ah chee, sam gray and co stuck their hands up last year at the end of the season and looked like guns. where were they this year?

if you accept that we're just a middle of the road side atm it makes the ride a bit easier

We weren't horrible, but we weren't great. That was clearly the worst big win I've seen in a long time. We were playing against witches hats and still were fumbling and bumbling our way down the field. Missing wide open targets, choosing the wrong options and then blowing a ridiculous number of easy opportunities.

What we did great was absolutely monster them in the middle, I mean we had 120 more touches. However Other than that we let them score way too easy, we were extremely wasteful and even though there was zero pressure all night we still looked like a side that has zero confidence and is still way to fumbly to be any good. Our decision making and our basic mistakes as well are just horrible to watch. So many basic and elementary errors that top sides dont do.

Play that way against the Swans next week and we'll lose by 5-10 goals.

That game said more about Brissy than us. That was the worst AFL team I've seen in my memory. Even our darkest days didn't look that bleak.

Biggest win against Brisbane this year (to give with 4th biggest in the win at Adelaide Oval)

79 points was only their 9th biggest score this year. Finals sides in West Coast x2, North Melbourne, Hawthorn & Sydney all conceded more points to Brisbane than that.

Lets just face it. No matter what, some people just aren't happy.

Port's highest score since round 17, 2007 folks. That's like, 200 rounds ago.

Even more than that actually. It was our 2nd highest score of all time. Highest score since Round 3, 2004.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Muunky Tuunk Man

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PAMFC, 36ers
Can't understand people complaining about the result. It's the AFL. The hardest comp in the land. Yeah Brisbane weren't at full strength but neither were we.
Do some people expect score lines like Kilburn dished up against Seaton Ramblers a couple of years ago - 54.23-347 to 1.0-6?

Just enjoy the fact we won.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Can't understand people complaining about the result. It's the AFL. The hardest comp in the land. Yeah Brisbane weren't at full strength but neither were we.
Do some people expect score lines like Kilburn dished up against Seaton Ramblers a couple of years ago - 54.23-347 to 1.0-6?

Just enjoy the fact we won.
Agreed, Top teams take full credit when they only win by a few goals against a depleted Port side.

What did we kick in our demolition of Hawthorn in 2005?

29.14. We kicked 25.23 tonight. Shoulda beaten it really

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Butcher - very good. Work rate was top notch. Great reading of the play. Can't teach what he has. The more games he plays the better he will get.

R gray - usual awesome self. Unique in traffic

Wingard - had his opponent shitting his pants all night

Ebert - has really lifted in second half of the year

Trengove - beast. Couldn't believe commentators were talking about smith non stop the first half when Trengove was absolutely killing him.

Boak - dunno. Good and bad. Gets involved with plays , influences contests. Building on his year.

Impey - Great first half he was our most aggressive player out there.

Young - terrible around goal, shitty disposal. Story of our year to be honest. Our skills are just s**t by foot. Great work rate and reading of the play.

Pittard - they tagged him, and it didn't really matter because he is so good defensively he still helps us and we now have other good users back there in krak dbj and even clurey (who I thought made some clangers) and Austin

Clurey - good. Some good moments with ball and not so good. It continues to impress for a young tall

Austin. - just kills contests in the air. Has those fletcher go go gadget arms

Dbj - exactly what we always expect

Krak - love him in the side

Polec - that's the Polec we want and need

S gray - found tonnes of ball again , wastes half of it. Much better game from him he needs to be up around 25 possies week in week out though.

Wines - grunt, but boy he is bad by foot. He isn't alone , it's been our down fall this year our whole team has regressed with our footskills.

Westhoff - some really good grabs. Floated in and out

Amon - played the role we have missed matt White in. Very good. He needs to gut run like that every game.

Ah chee - I've been harping on about this , but he is as strong as an ox through his core this lad. It allows him to get off handballs in contests. was a good game from him in what was basically a serious of good cameos. Still want him to get better outside the contests though but has time on his side.

P stew - good defensively, has become another player who I don't want to see dispose of the ball though. Never creates, it's all just reactionary stuff from him.

Broadbent - some good defensive efforts. Poor with the ball, which for a supposedly good kick isn't acceptable. Is coasting by unnoticed while Hartlett cops a lot of flak.

Toumpas - was gifted an opportunity to come into a game where we had a tonne of the ball out in space and he a) doesn't get enough of it b) wasted too much of it. Kind of want him to be given an extended run at afl at some stage, but boy he is making it hard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back