Women's Footy R2: Bulldogs vs Crows @WO 7:00pm Chan 7 Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Was at the game and here are my thoughts.

- Team had no idea on what to do with forward 50 entries. They either played on after taking the mark with no viable target to kick or handball to or they handballed to a stationary target. Coach Groves needs to get cracking.

- Players were reluctant to switch play. Either they were instructed not to or they didn't trust their skills to do it. Very little lateral play by the forwards or midfielders and there was so much space with 16 a side.

- A few of the ladies need to adhere to the Dale Morris and Caleb Daniel rules. If you're not a good kick, handball to someone else who can kick. If you
do have the ball, take a beat and find someone in a better position to give the ball by hand or foot. Way too many play ons and rushed kicks.

- Adelaide had a simple plan. Long kicks towards forward 50 and rush the ball drop. So many goals out the back

- Great crowd again. Maybe next year they'll increase the quarters. Match was over at 3qtr time.
Caleb Daniel is not a good kick?? o_O

Watched the game and found it very frustrating. Obviously the skill level will improve over time but it is more important than ever to make sure the ball is in the hands of your key players in the women's game. So many times we stuffed up shots at goal more because the ball just ended up in the wrong girls hands when the shot had to be taken.

The umpiring was definitely one sided but we certainly were undisciplined as well which contributed to it significantly. But I would say there were a lot missed on the Adelaide side. It wasn't the frees paid against us because most of them were probably there, even if some were a bit soft, but they didn't seem to pay the same ones when Adelaide did the same thing and I think our girls got frustrated by this and this made their discipline even worse.

Looking at the players Erin Phillips from Adelaide really stood out to me. She is very balanced, skillfull and her professional basketball background is standing her in great stead. She never looks panicked or out of control which 90% of the players seem to be when it is very contested. She was the one who killed us around the ground and then the Adelaide forwards took a lot more advantage of their opportunities. The Crows looked good, definitely one of the favourites to win the whole thing in my view.

Adelaide were first in and deserved every free kick they got. We were undisciplined and, in scenes reminiscent of the McCartney days, seemed to want to handball ourselves into trouble. The Crows frequently got more players to the contest because they worked harder. They also have some very pacy players who can cover the ground and who will worry most teams.

That breaks what, an 12 game winning streak at all levels?

Very disappointing. A lot of work to do to be top 2.

One more loss and you can nearly write us off for this year.

The easiest way for the Dogs to get goals, is to get the ball to Kearney and Blackburn. Both gain yardage with their running and kicking capacity. They have two tall targets - KB and Gamble (14) with KMac sniffing around for the crumb.

Does anyone else think there should be a final 4? I don't like a 1v2 granny that will undoubtedly have places that are determined by percentage. It should be:

3 v 4 elim
1 v 2 qual
Prelim with winner of elim and loser of qual.
Granny.

Does anyone else think there should be a final 4? I don't like a 1v2 granny that will undoubtedly have places that are determined by percentage. It should be:

3 v 4 elim
1 v 2 qual
Prelim with winner of elim and loser of qual.
Granny.
Problem is that they wanted to fit the season into the 7 week block between the end of the Australian Open and Round 1.

I expect you'll need six wins to make the final. So essentially we have to go undefeated from here on, especially with our percentage taking a hit last night.
It's a bit pointless to really make predictions. Many permutations are possible.

It could be that four teams finish 5-2 to be top of the ladder and it comes down to percentage.

If we thump Melbourne next week - who have looked pretty average in their game and a half so far - given that one of Carlton and Adelaide lose, we can move to 2nd on the ladder.

From that point on as long as we win by enough goals, it's still in our control - maintaining that 2nd on the ladder position

Some of the girls strutting around the Western Oval like they own the joint and annoying some of the other occupants with their entitled attitudes.

Seriously cannot wait til the footy starts but not next week for me. I wil watch what I want to watch not have things pushed down my throat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of the girls strutting around the Western Oval like they own the joint and annoying some of the other occupants with their entitled attitudes.

Seriously cannot wait til the footy starts but not next week for me. I wil watch what I want to watch not have things pushed down my throat.

Shoved down your throat? What are you on about? No one is shoving anything down your throat.

How dare they walk around the home ground of the club they play for like they belong there, outrageous!

What did you even mean by that comment MD? "Like they own the joint". Elaborate on it.

How dare they walk around the home ground of the club they play for like they belong there, outrageous!

What did you even mean by that comment MD? "Like they own the joint". Elaborate on it.

See twisting words.

I never said they didn't belong there I said they were walking around like they own the joint. Massive difference. One is a given, the other is self entitlement.

Don't believe me(no one does) just have a chat to some of the people who work at Whitten Oval and their opinions on the attitudes. Not happy Jan.

And anyone that thinks this hasn't been jammed down our throats or at least attempted it to be is kidding themselves.

Anyway hope the girls get back on winners list next week so the last games actually mean something. Dead rubbers will not be good for any ladies teams imo

Last edited:
Missed out on the match on friday due to work but attended the melb vs pies game
Loving the crowds, the moment the ball went near melbourne forward 50 the whole crowd started cheering

Shame that Katie might miss a game due to her foot, reckon she should start pushing into the midfield to be around the ball

Missed out on the match on friday due to work but attended the melb vs pies game
Loving the crowds, the moment the ball went near melbourne forward 50 the whole crowd started cheering

Shame that Katie might miss a game due to her foot, reckon she should start pushing into the midfield to be around the ball
It's a real shame that she's got that dodgy ankle, because she should be taking the competition by storm and letting everybody know how she's the best female footballer in Australia, but being prevented though by her ankle.

Should she rest up for a week and make sure it's okay for the rest of the season? We almost certainly won't make the Grand Final if we lose this week. But I say if we're not good enough to win without her against Melbourne, we're not good enough to win a Grand Final against any opponent carrying her injured. Let her rest up, hope we do enough to get the win and hope that a more fit Brennan leads us to 5 more consecutive wins for the flag.

It's a real shame that she's got that dodgy ankle, because she should be taking the competition by storm and letting everybody know how she's the best female footballer in Australia, but being prevented though by her ankle.

Should she rest up for a week and make sure it's okay for the rest of the season? We almost certainly won't make the Grand Final if we lose this week. But I say if we're not good enough to win without her against Melbourne, we're not good enough to win a Grand Final against any opponent carrying her injured. Let her rest up, hope we do enough to get the win and hope that a more fit Brennan leads us to 5 more consecutive wins for the flag.
Rest her against the Pies, I think the Dees will be tougher than the Pies match tbh.

Rest her against the Pies, I think the Dees will be tougher than the Pies match tbh.
Dee's gamestyle is pure contested footy so if dogs wanna protect Katie then yeah because clubs are targeting players more than afl teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Back