Review R20: Crows v Saints - We're stranded...on...our....own (in 8th spot)

Remove this Banner Ad

Gibbs has what is in desperately short supply on our list. Talent.

Considering what we gave up to get him, and the fact he can do what most can’t with his eyes shut, he is one older player who should never be out of the side. I don’t give a rats arse how many tackles he doesn’t lay.

I guess his problem is that he gets shut out too easily in the big games. There has to be a role for him though, AFC knew what they were trading in. SANFL has slowed his game down considerably, I think he’s salvageable but not under the current administration.

Well obviously we did
We only used the usual Crouch x2 + Sloane and occasionally Gibbs and/or Douglas at center bounces didn't we?

Making Matt Crouch, possibly our slowest and worst ball user, the outside receiver deserved to get us torched and a non-bottom 4 side would've done just that.

Especially incomprehensible considering Milera was on the same football field wearing the same jumper.

God help us if we try that malarky against west coast

He was by no means our worst, and that one bit of play streaming through the centre which resulted in a goal was super and will no doubt see him play the rest of the season... but a solid game against poor opposition. Whoop-de-doo. We’ve seen this all before. There remains zero point in playing him ahead of any number of young guys.
That run got him another 2 year contract for sure

Fog led up to Centre Half Forward - as in, true Centre Half Forward - six times. Three times he marked, three times he brought it to ground in a meaningful way.

His goal was exceptional.

But the best moment for me was in the first quarter when the high ball came in to the pocket and he neutralized the contest when he had two Saints hanging off him, so Betts could mark. If that was Jenkins he would've tried to roll off out the back and let the Saints +1 to intercept.

He's a footballer.

Milera floated around the edge of the game not doing a lot. It's a bad habit he needs to break out of fast.

Didn't help that we played him in defense, when really he should be fitted with a shock collar that goes off if he ever sets foot defensive side of centre.
Milera in defense is a waste of resources on par with Smith as a forward.

I saw it at about 7-7 centre clearances, then it finishes 8-15

So no 2nd half fade out on the scoreboard but if that’s good opposition that centre clearance fade out definitely would have caused one

Well the only midfield players I saw in the centre bounces were - Sloane, both Crouch brothers, Gibbs and Douglas. Don't recall seeing anyone else in there.

Bickley should never be allowed to comment at all on anything
He is an apologist for anything spin

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

Yes, when he keeps coming up with parrot cliche phrases such as the 'line breaking' miracles of Mackay. Give me strength.........

Gibbs has what is in desperately short supply on our list. Talent.

Considering what we gave up to get him, and the fact he can do what most can’t with his eyes shut, he is one older player who should never be out of the side. I don’t give a rats arse how many tackles he doesn’t lay.
Kicking at 60% and jogging around looking confused while oppo ball carriers zing past him.

Yep gift him every game because he cost us 2 first round kids

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was one time in the game Gibbs had a rushed kick inside 50 and it was an absolute perfect skilled instinct pass to 30m out from goal directly in front in a huge hole.

It's the sort of kick an elite talent makes without thinking because it's the perfect zone to hit up.

One problem: we didn't have a single forward anywhere near this hot zone so a St Kilda defender took an uncontested intercept mark in an acre of space

All our forwards were in the pocket, outside 50 or on the goal line. No one was there to lead into this absolute paddock of space for this perfect kick.

How on earth are our midfielders supposed to perform under pressure when their instinct actions are to no avail because of our diabolical structures

You'd think that Gibbs kick was one of the worst in his career. Except for most of his 200+ games that kick would have been perfect. At the Crows? We're asking him to become a worse footballer to fit into our game plan

Best part about Fogarty’s goal was he had a man (Murphy I think) five million meters in the clear and he said, no, I’ve been watching you fu**s fu** everything up for 20 rounds and I’m kicking this myself, stand back and watch how it’s ******* done.

******* music to the ears of 50,000 Crows members.

Said straight after he kicked it that he will probably be castigated after the game for not following team rules.

Like it when a player decides he is going to be fully responsible and accountable for the decisions he makes - was the perfect tonic of how we should play most times.

People forget Murph is only 20.

He wont be a star. But a very good workmanlike small forward.

Stengle should be in this side to work with him. Instead of Knight.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Yes, I think Knight has stagnated and is in trouble

There was one time in the game Gibbs had a rushed kick inside 50 and it was an absolute perfect skilled instinct pass to 30m out from goal directly in front in a huge hole.

It's the sort of kick an elite talent makes without thinking because it's the perfect zone to hit up.

One problem: we didn't have a single forward anywhere near this hot zone so a St Kilda defender took an uncontested intercept mark in an acre of space

All our forwards were in the pocket, outside 50 or on the goal line. No one was there to lead into this absolute paddock of space for this perfect kick.

How on earth are our midfielders supposed to perform under pressure when their instinct actions are to no avail because of our diabolical structures

You'd think that Gibbs kick was one of the worst in his career. Except for most of his 200+ games that kick would have been perfect. At the Crows? We're asking him to become a worse footballer to fit into our game plan

Our forward setup is a complete mess.

Best part about Fogarty’s goal was he had a man (Murphy I think) five million meters in the clear and he said, no, I’ve been watching you fu**s fu** everything up for 20 rounds and I’m kicking this myself, stand back and watch how it’s ******* done.

******* music to the ears of 50,000 Crows members.
Roo often used to do that in the Craig years.

We’d dominate possession for a bit without generating a scoring shot. Then seemingly out of frustration he’d go bang from 55. Like * this I’ll do it myself.

I can’t believe Atkins is still playing. Hartigan likewise. ROB was also completely outplayed. Needs a rest. The hype has gone way overboard with him. Will never be more than a serviceable ruckman. Everything else was pretty much business as usual. Gibbs looked lethargic, Murphy tried hard but not really AFL level, Mackay had good and bad moments, Dougy too old etc etc.

The rest mostly stood up at least.

If ever the term 'a rabbit in headlights' could be applied to a player it is Atkins.

With the rumour that St Kilda was about to offer Brad $900k, I have to ask, what would they offer for Matt?

35 and 2 goals was a great game. And one of the few people I didn’t remember making horrible skills errors repeatedly. Pretty sure he saved us in the back half of the 3rd quarter on at least 6 occasions.
Matt hasn't suddenly got better since last week .....his weaknesses are still evident .....we have way to many slow midfielders, no line cutters who attack the goal face

Matt getting the ball is perfect for opposition defenses ......he gives them plenty of time to structure up and get reinforcements

Saw most of the second half.

The effort from the players was there, but the gameplan is a ****ing disgrace.

Impossible for any of our outside players or forwards to do well with that sort of ball movement.
Did we slow the ball movement down:

a) because we haven't the fitness for a high energy game in the 2nd half

b) a fast paced game, simply exposes our lack of pace ......and play into the hands of quicker sides like ESS

Our season up to the byes was characterized by tough scrambling footy .....I'd suggest this was purposeful to offset our lack of pace .....open the game up and we're dead meat

Milera floated around the edge of the game not doing a lot. It's a bad habit he needs to break out of fast.

Didn't help that we played him in defense, when really he should be fitted with a shock collar that goes off if he ever sets foot defensive side of centre.
I wasn't upset at a quick Milera playing off HB, with Smith on a Wing :thumbsu: .......but I agree, he just hung out too much

Atkins out next week .....Seedsman and Smith the two wingers ....yes please

Hartigan out .....Keath takes his place ....yes please

Still have to get Jones in ......PLEASE !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back