AFL Autopsy R22: Power out

Remove this Banner Ad

To me, it looked more like a person being stabbed and calling for help, and having no help arrive. What else can you do but take the jabs and accept your fate by then.

This club is a shambles with no accountability, and it rots from the head.

There better be no excuses for next year. Consistency signs and semblance of structure. They need to be shown.
Everyone who is expecting us to rebound should tempter expectations. This list is 2-3 years away from seriously competing. Bringing effort on a weekly basic is another whole issue though.

That was bad.

Cue all the Rutten haters calling for his head cos coaching is the only issue. The players are faultless
This type of performance isn’t a one off under Rutten, what type of standards does he set if senior players can put in games like this and keep getting rewarded for it. The coaches also got it terribly wrong with team selection, it’s a whole club debacle this week.

We just simple cannot have the same midfield next year. I refuse to watch with this midfield. I thought going hard for Dunkley would be enough, but now I’m starting to think we may need to trade a few out.

Hopefully only one more game of this left before we see the back of Dodoro and his protégé of players that are not defending.

Conversely, there are those who stoically defend Rutten and his coaching. Then lump all blame on the players.

The answer is somewhere is in the middle, but ultimately the responsibility lies with the coach for the performances.
As I've told you about a dozen times I'm not convinced either way on him.
I think 'Rutten haters' is a silly, emotive term. Fans are pissed, and they have every right to be. Clearly the message/s aren't getting through and you can't replace a playing list, which only leaves one option if there's to be a change (which there won't be)
How can you not replace a playing list? Seriously. You can trade players, delist players. You can't replace an entire list as well but that's simplistic
cue it’s the players fault
a coach coaches
this pleb has no answers and no imagination
please watch the 1984 and watch what a decent young coach did when our team was down
i was privileged enough to be there
i can’t comprehend anyone being an apologist for rutten
he just isn’t made to be head coach in my opinion
i am surprised he coped with that rigorous coaching process and interview

oh dear
Oh cool, all the players are faultless.

This type of performance isn’t a one off under Rutten, what type of standards does he set if senior players can put in games like this and keep getting rewarded for it. The coaches also got it terribly wrong with team selection, it’s a whole club debacle this week.
If that happened under Clarkson he would be punching walls

Anyone who thinks that structure is how they want to play has had limited exposure to coaching.
I can agree with the fact the coach lives and dies with his ability to sell the message and Truck is dying. They are not playing for him and it is a terrible look.
He is going to need an absolute miracle next year.

However it is not just the coach. This is a group of players who seem to never advance under any coaching if defensive plans are put in place. Has been going on for 15 years. Truck may need the boot but so do some senior players.

Call me what you want but 15 years of junior coaching and bits of recruiting along with watching other sides play live a lot forms my opinion.
I have seen first hand how different groups of players handle game plans as we had different groups come through every year. Some pick it up. Others do not.

It seems out guys do not want to know about defensive.
Truck is not an idiot. You do not hold defensive coach in a premiership team if you are an idiot. His issue is clearly buy in which is death as far as coaching goes. He has to wear the consequences and should pay the price.

But I stand by the fact that bad sides play bad footy and AFL coaches do not just have s**t game plans.

And so not get me started on leaders.

Everyone who is expecting us to rebound should tempter expectations. This list is 2-3 years away from seriously competing. Bringing effort on a weekly basic is another whole issue though.

No one is expecting contending. No one expecting banking wins. But we are expecting guidance. Signs of tactical improvement. A level of consistency, win or loss.

And it better damn well come. Because if we are serious as a group, we wouldn't be expecting anything less. We don't run on faith, we run on legitimate in-roads that we can see with our very eyes. The moment you run on just faith, you lose buy-in from those who aren't stupid (for which I hope most aren't) and most importantly, you lose buy-in from the players.

No more of this "but but but the players" crap, they've played enough to buy.

Rutten better start selling. The honeymoon is over.

435.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1660470095186.png

Me contemplating which Queensland team I should switch to.

Call me what you want but 15 years of junior coaching and bits of recruiting along with watching other sides play live a lot forms my opinion.
I have seen first hand how different groups of players handle game plans as we had different groups come through every year. Some pick it up. Others do not.

Is it fair to say that the complexities of modern football and how defensive it has become and fast it is, can be a bit too much even for good draft picks??
I mean, players have hardly any space and you have to have great reflexes in the contest. It's such a big upgrade to other leagues, obviously.

Richmond are going to tear us a new one.

You aren't often this pointed in your criticism of our performances.

I think 'Rutten haters' is a silly, emotive term. Fans are pissed, and they have every right to be. Clearly the message/s aren't getting through and you can't replace a playing list, which only leaves one option if there's to be a change (which there won't be)
I honestly question whether the senior players will listen to anyone bought in to coach them. It's like there's an ingrained aversion to defending; some weeks they can go through the motions and we look ok, but other times they just do whatever the * they want.

Like even if we somehow got Clarkson on board I suspect he'd need to spend another couple of years pruning the list to get a group who will actually do what he wants of them, which seems to be exactly what Rutten is in the process of doing.

Is it fair to say that the complexities of modern football and how defensive it has become and fast it is, can be a bit too much even for good draft picks??
I mean, players have hardly any space and you have to have great reflexes in the contest.
Other teams are drafting and developing players from the same talent pool we are...

It's really hard to give a s**t when, from the outside looking in, the whole club from top to bottom doesn't seem to give a s**t.

The best thing to happen will be for Richmond to oblterate us next week. Instead of finishing a season with a decent run of form and having the club feel pretty good about themselves, finish with 3 consecutive beltings and go into the off season knowing there's a mountain of work to be done with no false hope to sell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back