Autopsy R22 Review: Port 64-115 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought we were blessed by the umpires in the first half, and that you looked threatening and capable of out-playing us for the full 120 minutes.

Umpiring in the third was nothing short of a joke though. It seems that this effect happens every bloody week - umpires go in at half time, are informed of the count and then deliberately go out to square it up in the third quarter. I’ve lost count of how many times umpiring has seemed to change drastically quarter to quarter in the favour of the team with the lower free kick count.

Hope you don’t mind the intrusion - felt you were hard done by and thought I’d share with you to see if it was something you had all noticed as a theme through the year too?

I noticed in the first half yes you guys had the rub of the green. What I mean is, we touched it and grabbed HTB. You guys were afforded more time to dispose or jsut drop the ball. This causes fear and confusion with players, such as Aidyen Johnsons goal, terrified of HTB he threw it out straight to a Pie's player which resulted in a goal. The thir the umps definitely made it more equal, last was a shitfest in your favour of general play with umpires having nothing to do with it. Even the Motlop goal from a 50, which shouldn't have been, doesn't allow our players to give up so meekly.

To make matters worse (if possible) no representative from the coaches at the aftermatch. KT was there looking pretty gutted (as he should). Didn't offer anything noteworthy. The worse thing imho were the players that came back. Daniel Norton talked to DBJ. He said he was happy with his effort on Sidebottom in the 1st. Kept him to 3 possessions. When asked why he was moved in the 2nd he said he wasn't sure and that he had to play his role. Hombschy spoke with class as always and was pretty apologetic. Polly was there but didn't speak and poor Riley. Looked so upset. Played a bad game, I know that, but he's a young kid. Is that what we are into these days, humiliating our young players? Ken continually saying publicly Billy not ready despite our dire need for a ruck? Even mentioning our youngsters in the pressers. Why didn't you front up Ken? Too much pressure? Give me a freakin break.
Have you seen him at an agm. Deer in headlights imo.

What was interesting was the first time that we’ve had some commentators - Gary Lyon and Nick Riewoldt - really get noticeably stuck into our conservative gameplan and how it limits our upside. Normally we fly under the radar in this regard as commentators either couldn’t give a flying **** about us and/or do not possess the mental faculties to do so.

Can only be a good thing that the heat is brought onto what is essentially Nathan Bassett’s SANFL gameplan. It may have worked against a bunch of tradies and PE teachers, but it has proven not to stand up at the elite level.

We’re stuck with Ken, so if he has pride in his performance, reputation and legacy, he will develop a far more attacking inclined style next year. Sure, the stats may indicate that if you send 2 or more defenders you win more contests, but it doesn’t build any capacity in your players. You need more players who are capable and/or taught to win 1-on-1s, thus enabling a more potent structure around the ground.

When it comes off, commentators praise the game plan as a high marking uncontestable game plan made famous by hawthorn - "if you get that many uncontested marks in a game you will win" "they are just denying the opposition the ball"
When it doesn't come off, commentators pay it out as not being willing to play on and take the game on.

Pro: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2004, 2013, 2014

Con: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Maybe I'm marking too easy on 2014, maybe I'm marking too harsh on 2007, but yeah. I was hoping we'd broken the shackles and rid ourselves of derpin' it up, but we just keep finding new and unusual ways to mine disappointment and embarrassment from opportunity.
My clear one's are:
Pro: 1997 - 1999, 2013, 2014
Cons: 2000, 2003, 2005-2006, 2008-2012,2015-2018

Then it comes down to are we talking retrospectively or during the year.

2001 and 2002 I enjoyed during the year, into finals after a s**t year in 2001, hadn't yet established the choking tag, so annoyed at the loss to the Hawks, but still happy with the year overall. In retrospect it was the beginning of 3 years of s**t. 2002 was similar, but we finished top so until the finals I thought we were now a much better team so we won't fail like that again. Oops.

2004 I didn't enjoy the home and away at all, by then we all knew it was pointless how many games we won and by how much. Our QF win was good, but then we almost threw the match against the Saints (and lets be real here, if their numbskull fans hadn't invaded the pitch to mob Gehrig we would have) so it wasn't until Wanganeen got his 3rd in the GF I could actually enjoy it without waiting for it all to fall apart.

2007 - we shouldn't have been near a GF, but unlike this year every roll of the dice went our way until the fateful day. Obviously that put a pale on the year in retrospect.

In any case, at best it's 9 of 22, with the first 2 down to just joy of being in the AFL, before starting to have any expectations beyond that. So really it's at best 7 from 20. And 2 from 10 in the last decade. Yet it's not 2012 anymore, so I should go out and get the Botox so I'm always smiling? o_O

just read on AFL website that collingwood had 26 inside 50's in the last quarter, and there have only been 3 worse quarters for inside 50's against this century (also one in 1999). Of the worse ones, one was against us (Hawthorn in a game we won after the godmode first quarter), and 2 others were in Bellerive gales.

so all together, it was one of the worst collapses this century.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back