Review R23: Port v Gold Coast Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Well thank god that season is over! Nice to get a win to finish off the year and some decent individual performances to take into next year.

Cant be bothered doing a big review this week, just votes. But Bonner looked good, glad Snelling got a goal, Wines and Gray were great and real happy that Schulz ended with 3 in his last game with us.

POTY Votes
9 - R Gray
8 - Wines
7 - S Gray, Trengove, Ebert, Impey
6 - Lobbe, Bonner, Broadbent, Palmer, Boak
5 - Clurey, Pittard, Schulz, Westhoff, Polec
4 - Amon, Krakouer, Snelling
3 - Young, DBJ
1 - Austin

Well thank god that season is over! Nice to get a win to finish off the year and some decent individual performances to take into next year.

Cant be bothered doing a big review this week, just votes. But Bonner looked good, glad Snelling got a goal, Wines and Gray were great and real happy that Schulz ended with 3 in his last game with us.

POTY Votes
9 - R Gray
8 - Wines
3 - Young, DBJ
1 - Austin

bit harsh on Austin. Had some good contests, was beat a few times, beat his man a few times too, unlucky with a free, then got injured. Lynch is a hard man to contain, so id give him at least a 3.5

Snelling was great, Bonner needs a bit of work but it was nice that he found the ball.

Impey and Amon good and they are much more effective with their defensive efforts than Neade.

Austin great in the first half.

Snelling and Impey got us so many goals with their defensive pressure.

bit harsh on Austin. Had some good contests, was beat a few times, beat his man a few times too, unlucky with a free, then got injured. Lynch is a hard man to contain, so id give him at least a 3.5

Fair. I thought he got thumped, then got injured.

POTY Votes
9 - R Gray
8 - Wines
3 - Young, DBJ
1 - Austin

Wrong on Austin.

Unfair overall on our undersized back 6.

Westhoff without an opponent was worth 5, with one he was worth 0.

All played alrightish.

Notes:
Gray really good after an apathetic start. Wines very good. Ebert solid despite being quiet in the middle quarters. First gamers good. Glad Jay got his 3.0, still a weapon from the set shot.

Westhoff was abhorrent before the Austin injury.

Metricon looks like such a dangerous oval to play at if it were home to competent team. Unique dimensions.

GOLD COAST 1.4 2.7 7.10 9.12 (66)
PORT ADELAIDE 2.3 6.4 10.7 13.11 (89)
GOALS
Gold Coast:
Fiorini 2, Day 2, Rosa, Matera, Sexton, MacPherson, Lynch
Port Adelaide: R. Gray 4, Schulz 3, Boak, Young, S. Gray, Impey, Snelling, Ebert
BEST
Gold Coast:
Miller, May, Hallahan, Lynch, Fiorini
Port Adelaide: R. Gray, Wines, Bonner, S. Gray, Ebert, Broadbent
INJURIES
Gold Coast
: Nil
Port Adelaide: Austin (lower leg)
Reports: Nil
Official crowd: 9213 at Metricon Stadium

You forgot one thing
Interest Nil

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone so sombre about tonight I was quite happy:

Jarman impey, for the bloke who, when drafted, the club felt like they had to release 2 highlight videos to suffice for his draft pick up. From playing him as a back pocket to breaking ballatynes jaw to a 3 goal game from a positional change again Richmond and 5 weeks later were he produced his best ever game at afl level against Collingwood. How far has he come and how proud I am to call him a port player. He even started in the centre circle in the first bounce tonight and up against the wings which is signs of what is yet to come. His agility, aggression and flare sets him apart from most. 2017 is his year and he will never look back

Karl amon, for the bloke who got chased down numerous times against carlton at Etihad and arguably cost us the game. Pumping 14 games into him has now allowed him to adjust to the pace of afl level, use his speed; sprinting instead of jogging and his kicking and awareness has improved through the roof. Only good things to come from this bloke aswell

As much as we couldn't make the eight and thus everyone saying its a wasted season I beg to differ. We were allowed to expose guys like jarman, amon, howard, Austin and clurey amongst others to afl level and actually give our depth some games at the bigger stage which was the query at the start of the year, port = no depth. Now when we get our guns back; ryder, monfries, hartlett, hombsch etc we find it difficult to displace the ones we have brought in and that's the absolute beauty of it.

I've ridden the ups and downs with this board for the whole season, im looking forward to trade week and draft night and bringing all the emotions into the 2017 season. Thanks for all the banter and laughs from everyone on this board by no means signing out just thankful for the help during an up and down 2016 season :thumbsu:

I recall some years back at Etihad John Butcher had the ball and Ollie was in space. John missed him, the ball went out and Ollie looked daggers at Butch. Maybe Butch can get a bit of his own back when Ollie returns because that occasion we were running free with three available players to go into the 50 and he kicked 20 metres over the players head for Gold Coast to run it back wasn't exactly Ollie's greatest hour. May even have been a turning point because I think we were 33 or 39 points up at the time and they got a run on to get to 15 at 3/4 time.
But anyway, what was a pretty scrappy and bruise-free game ended with us winning, although Gold Coast could just as easily have done so with better kicking for goal. Funny how the umpires seem to switch off at these games too. The frees were OK but there were a few fifties went missing and a couple of balls that were deemed to be knocked out would have been called scoop passes earlier.
As most would have said, Robbie had to be BOG. Broadbent got a great deal of the ball and was efficient. 20 of Ollie's 30 possessions were contested and he had 9 clearances. Sam Gray had 32 touches though at a low 62.5%. It was mentioned a few Vic clubs were after him but nothing more was said.
A much greater percentage of Matthew Lobbe's taps were going direct to our players whether in the centre or around the ground. And although he is not up to 2014 levels with his tackling he did pick the ball up off the ground well and in traffic. When Sam Gray kicked a point in the last quarter Lobbe put the ball right down his throat in the forward pocket like Lade to Burgoyne.
These lapses seem to be a reaction to something not going our way. When Logan Austin went off we were 33 points up but by 3/4 time it was 15. Two of the goals came from Sam Day, the 3rd tall who would have been able to get away with Logan's injury.

The most notable thing about that game was how many times those two hawthorn slugs, Ben Dixon and Dermott Brereton, said "Port Power. It was almost like they had a wager on who could say it the most.

I got ****ing angry listening to it.

Not dropping names but know Dicko and he is a ripping bloke so rest assured he will be educated throughout the Spring Carnival.

Dermott is beyond help. Much like his plastic face.

Lobbe was really good I thought.
Cluery had a fine game
Grays and Ollie take a bow

POTY Votes
9 - R Gray
8 - Wines
3 - Young, DBJ
1 - Austin
swap austin and the hoff around

It may well be the flu drugs, but our centre square clearances tonight seemed to be ridiculously good? Ok, ridiculously good when compared with other train wreck like weeks.

It seemed to me that Lobbe did pretty well (I did see a contested mark too, right?), he we won most taps, some to advantage, and then Ollie & Gray x 2 managed to gather, swing wide to a receiver and we were away. Must be the drugs...haven't seen clearances, from the bounce or stoppages, as fluid as that all year.

It may well be the flu drugs, but our centre square clearances tonight seemed to be ridiculously good? Ok, ridiculously good when compared with other train wreck like weeks.

It seemed to me that Lobbe did pretty well (I did see a contested mark too, right?), he we won most taps, some to advantage, and then Ollie & Gray x 2 managed to gather, swing wide to a receiver and we were away. Must be the drugs...haven't seen clearances, from the bounce or stoppages, as fluid as that all year.

It was the drugs.

What just happened.

Have you ever seen 22 games fly by for no discernible reason whatsoever like that?

Gosh.

Yeah.

At least in 2015, we had the big 3 against North, Hawks, and the first Showdown, plus the second Hawks game. That was something at least.

What did we have in 2016?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back