Review R23: Port v Gold Coast Review

Remove this Banner Ad

To me the game looks like it was a pre-season game for both teams. A lacklustre game that meant little.
I guess it essentially was a preseason game.
Good to get a win for Jay. Good luck in whatever the future brings.
Bonner and Snelling impressed in their debut matches and along with Palmer it was good to see all three with their first win in Power colours.
Impey continues to impress and I think his upside is massive. Robbie Grey in another class above everyone else.

Anyway thank f*** this year is over. Bring on 2017

Last edited:
This game has me really worried for next year - I really hope ken sees this and is prepared to do what is needed to o fix it.

We looked really bad out there and the only reason we won was because gold coast is so bad. A good team would've thrashed them by 100.

I haven't seen the game yet, but there are probably other things that may have contributed to a lacklustre performance. It's hard enough to get up for a game with almost nothing riding on it, and it's likely that there were players out there that know, or at least suspect, that was their last game for the club, or have close mates in that situation. We were probably lucky that we had the young first-gamers out there to give us a lift, and the obvious incentive to get a win for Schulzy.

Ken's press conference said it all really. Did not mention one thing that happened in the game of football and spent half the time talking about Paddy Ryder and Angus Monfries. What a season.
Sounds like a lot of arse covering. Please don't tell me he said we can take a lot a positives from that game as a springboard into next year.

Lobbe was beyond aweful
The rock lobster was better in the 2nd half, but let's face it his opponent Keegan Brooksby is an ex South Adelaide player who has played about 7 AFL games, and I doubt he will play 50.
Ken seemed upbeat about him in the presser o_O. We will know more in the off season and definitely
after the 1st 1/2 of next year but my fear is that Ken having driven us over the cliff is likely to say to the doomed
"it's ok guys i've got my hands on the wheel"

16 Ollie Wines
Second of the mysterious 3 named in our best. What did he actually do? Got a few possessions by virtue of his strength, I'm not sure he had an effective/useful disposal.
His kicking is diabolical. I love him and his clearance work is crucial for us but wow his disposal is scary.
Surely it's fixable so i'll assume the coaches have/are working on it.
Mind you when you assume it can make an ass of u and me.
39 Justin Westhoff
Going through the motions. Is he ready to pull the pin or something?
Rucci this morning made the comment that we are after pick 6 and that to get it will be expensive and controversial.
mmmm.....personally if there is anything in it there are some household names we could all throw around.
My fear is, if true, could it involve our Jasper. I've got no idea but he's looked a bit antsy and frustrated lately.

His kicking is diabolical. I love him and his clearance work is crucial for us but wow his disposal is scary.
Ollie did have one kick that was marked by one of our players.....

Rucci this morning made the comment that we are after pick 6 and that to get it will be expensive and controversial.
mmmm.....personally if there is anything in it there are some household names we could all throw around.
My fear is, if true, could it involve our Jasper. I've got no idea but he's looked a bit antsy and frustrated lately.
My preference is to keep Jasper, however if he made it clear he wanted to leave, then pick 6 would be fair (perhaps an exchange of later draft picks too if necessary). Absolutely would not be handing over our first round pick as part of the deal though.

Pick 6 for jasper, where do we luck into that... Bloody hell can get a gun midfielder for that pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

... Rucci this morning made the comment that we are after pick 6 and that to get it will be expensive and controversial. mmmm.....personally if there is anything in it there are some household names we could all throw around.
You quoted me on Westhoff but talked about Jasper. I can't quite work out if was the Hoff you meant.

Wondering about Hoff
Worried about Jasper
Rucci rumours who knows, I certainly don't.
I'm a bit over the Hoff and perhaps he needs a restart.
I'd be vexed about Jasper but he'd get a good price and DBJ is a pretty handy replacement. With Hombsch, Clurey, Carlile (if ever fit again), Jonas (if recontracted), Krakouer (if recontracted) we have plenty of proven defenders.

There's been some funny responses to this but I wouldn't be surprised if he's right. I've got a feeling we'll lose a few and get back into the draft.
We can replace him immediately with his brother Tommy Gray, already on our SANFL list.

We can replace him immediately with his brother Tommy Gray, already on our SANFL list.
Ball magnet with above average disposal, shows this despite being in a team of players with crap disposal and decision making. Yet you still think he is SANFL quality?

His stats are as good as anyone when the team is playing well, but then again some people just look for flashiness rather than consistency.

Ball magnet with above average disposal, shows this despite being in a team of players with crap disposal and decision making. Yet you still think he is SANFL AFL (my addition) quality? ....
Sammy's better than Tommy, there are other Maggies i'd draft first (wrong thread to discuss this). I'm just playing, reminding people the club overall has 3 Grays (and 2 Youngs).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back