Preview R3: Changes V. Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's not just about one bad game though, we are far too tall and he's the most one dimensional of the lot.
Or the failings are with Frost being unable to contest and exert defensive pressure as is his role when playing forward. Or with Watts being unable to adapt to not being the focal point but being the running half forward player that his game suits. Or with vandenBerg and Kent being unable to be half forward/midfield rotation players as they should be.

Dawes is one dimensional, but it's an important role to provide a contest at half forward and give a 2nd tall option. It can work and it did in the first half v GWS. I'm in favour of at least trying it another week.

Or the failings are with Frost being unable to contest and exert defensive pressure as is his role when playing forward. Or with Watts being unable to adapt to not being the focal point but being the running half forward player that his game suits. Or with vandenBerg and Kent being unable to be half forward/midfield rotation players as they should be.

Dawes is one dimensional, but it's an important role to provide a contest at half forward and give a 2nd tall option. It can work and it did in the first half v GWS. I'm in favour of at least trying it another week.

Frost has been contesting and applying forward pressure, far more than Dawes.

Watts has adapted pretty well to his half forward role, baffled as to how you think otherwise.

vandenBerg's career is 2 games old and he's looked pretty good so far, ran out of steam in the GWS game.

Kent aside from his rough goal kicking against GWS looked every bit as lively as a half forward could, needs to make more of his goal kicking chances.

I'm curious how is constantly running under the ball considered "providing a contest"? How is getting in the way of Hogan helping? He's no danger of taking a mark because of his concrete hands and when the ball hits the deck all he can do is fumble. So again at what point is he providing a contest or being a 2nd option? He was legitimately s**t the entire game.

Why would you pick out Watts there? He's started the season well and hardly disgraced himself vs GWS.

vandenBerg is my pick for the sub.

How I hope we line up:

B. Nev Lynden Garland
HB. Salem MacDonald Lamumba
C. Vince Jones Newton
HF. JKH Dawes Garlett
F. Kent Hogan Watts
R. Jamar Tyson Vandenberg

Bench: Brayshaw Frost Cross Sub: Howe

How I hope we line up:

B. Nev Lynden Garland
HB. Salem MacDonald Lamumba
C. Vince Jones Newton
HF. JKH Dawes Garlett
F. Kent Hogan Watts
R. Spencer Tyson Vandenberg

Bench: Brayshaw Frost Cross Sub: Howe

Whoever you are, please just let us know that Tempy Tiger is alive.

Not sure I completely understand the Dawes bashing going on here. When the midfield was as pox as it was in the second half last week, the argument stops there. It doesn't reach the forward line imo.

Sawed also had a CRACKING game against Adelaide last year over there. I'm happy for him to be in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure I completely understand the Dawes bashing going on here. When the midfield was as pox as it was in the second half last week, the argument stops there. It doesn't reach the forward line imo.

Sawed also had a CRACKING game against Adelaide last year over there. I'm happy for him to be in

He's definitely due for a good game...

He was awful in the first half.

Hogan already looks a far better player than dawes , I know hulk is a freak forward talent but he looked better at every aspect of being a forward , dawes has had 7-8? Pre seasons ( maybe more ) and yet is still a horrible forward.. He can play watts role as the lead up no problems because he works hard but I'd rather watts because he takes his chances and uses the footy

He has one of the worst marking techniques I've ever seen, plant your feet to the ground then jump straight upward with both feet before trying to catch it with your palms , upon missing ball fall forwards with heaps of momentum and seperate yourself from the contest

Wash rinse repeat

Vichy, Grimes, Spencil as emergencies if the rumours of N.Jones not getting up have any weight.
Jones obviously has issues and I would bet that Michie travels to Adelaide in case Jones does not come up. Michie has been named in the centre for the Scorps but I reckon he is over in the city of churches.

Dawes running under the ball is the most frustrating thing about his game. I could forgive him dropping marks if he was at least there to clean up afterwards, but by the time the ball hits the deck he's usually sprawled on the ground. It makes me frustrated because I generally think his endeavour is good and his work ethic is strong.

Dawes running under the ball is the most frustrating thing about his game. I could forgive him dropping marks if he was at least there to clean up afterwards, but by the time the ball hits the deck he's usually sprawled on the ground. It makes me frustrated because I generally think his endeavour is good and his work ethic is strong.

Chris Dawes - The List of Frustrations
  1. Running under the flight of the ball regularly
  2. Spilling the mark the few times he doesn't run under the flight of the ball
  3. Missing gettable set shots at goal on the incredibly rare occasions where he does mark
  4. $500k per year
  5. Doesn't want to provide a chop out in the ruck, meaning we need another tall in the side
Chris Dawes - The Redeeming Qualities
  1. Tries
  2. Gives great press conference

3. Missing gettable set shots at goal on the incredibly rare occasions where he does mark
  4. $500k per year
  5. Doesn't want to provide a chop out in the ruck, meaning we need another tall in the side
  1. Tries
Its been bouncing down overnight in Adelaide and supposed to rain all day today. A wet ground and rain suits us I think, particularly with the likes of JKH at the feet of the pack.

Its been bouncing down overnight in Adelaide and supposed to rain all day today. A wet ground and rain suits us I think, particularly with the likes of JKH at the feet of the pack.

Chris dawes licking his lips at the prospect of everyone dropping it

Can't wait to see hogan

You don't crumb at Dawes' feet, you run 10 metres past him.

Our team, especially from the midfield forward, is a big work in progress. With so many new players this year, it's going to take a while for our more attacking gameplan to gel. The forwardline needs to get to understand their running patterns and structures properly and the midfield needs to improve delivery, which should get better when the forwards are better organised. Dawes is being scapegoated by us big time at the moment. He's not a strong mark but people are overstating things. Hogan's unbelievable ability to pack mark is somewhat covering very average midfield delivery. We're not exactly getting constant lace-out passes into the forward 50 and Dawes is spilling them all.

4. $500k per year
  1. Tries

At 193cm without a big leap, he's no good in the ruck. That was evident when it was tried at Collingwood. It also messed up the rest of his game. Not his fault the structure of the forwardline has changed since he arrived with the departure of Clark.

Our team, especially from the midfield forward, is a big work in progress. With so many new players this year, it's going to take a while for our more attacking gameplan to gel. The forwardline needs to get to understand their running patterns and structures properly and the midfield needs to improve delivery, which should get better when the forwards are better organised. Dawes is being scapegoated by us big time at the moment. He's not a strong mark but people are overstating things. Hogan's unbelievable ability to pack mark is somewhat covering very average midfield delivery. We're not exactly getting constant lace-out passes into the forward 50 and Dawes is spilling them all.

Dawes has always been rather rubbish. I object to your use of 'at the moment'. I am overstating things but its fun.

At 193cm without a big leap, he's no good in the ruck. That was evident when it was tried at Collingwood. It also messed up the rest of his game. Not his fault the structure of the forwardline has changed since he arrived with the departure of Clark.

No question he's crap in the ruck. He's quite bad up forward too. We have Jamar, Spencer and Gawn as our genuine ruck options. Jamar is just a tap ruckman, Spencer is bad and Gawn doesn't seem to be AFL standard (yet?). We don't want to play two of them, so Jamar goes it alone and someone needs to go in and jump around a bit while he has a hot dog and chips. At the moment its Frost, which is about three quarters of the reason he's in the side. If Dawes can do that terrible job instead, maybe we can get someone more useful in the team because it doesn't seem like we're ever going to pay the bloke $500k a year to play VFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back