Sep 12, 2011
GWS
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
BOS:Celtics/Patriots/Bruins/Red Sox
Round 3
GWS GIANTS vs West Coast Eagles
Blacktown International Sportspark (BISP)
1:10pm, Sun 15 April 2012

Reserves:
UWS GIANTS vs Sydney Hills Eagles
4:15pm Sunday at BISP (after the main game)

Teams:
GWS Giants
B: Phil Davis, Tim Mohr, Jack Hombsch
HB: Luke Power, Chad Cornes, Adam Kennedy
C: Rhys Palmer, Tomas Bugg, Tom Scully
HF: Stephen Coniglio, Jeremy Cameron, Adam Tomlinson
F: Toby Greene, Jonathan Giles, Devon Smith
Foll: Dean Brogan, Callan Ward, Dylan Shiel

I/C: Israel Folau, Curtly Hampton, Jacob Townsend, Adam Treloar
Emg: Will Hoskin-Elliot, Liam Sumner, Shaun Edwards

In: Adam Treloar, Adam Tomlinson, Dean Brogan
Out: Will Hoskin-Elliot (omitted), Nathan Wilson (omitted), Dom Tyson (injury)

West Coast Eagles
B: Beau Waters, Eric Mackenzie, Ashley Smith
HB: Adam Selwood, Will Schofield, Shannon Hurn
C: Andrew Gaff, Scott Selwood, Chris Masten
HF: Josh Hill, Quinten Lynch, Jack Darling
F: Dean Cox, Josh Kennedy, Ashton Hams
Foll: Nic Naitanui, Luke Shuey, Daniel Kerr

I/C: Mitch Brown, Patrick McGinnity, Bradd Dalziell, Koby Stevens
Emg: Sam Butler, Ryan Neates, Jacob Brennan

In: Mitch Brown, Patrick McGinnity, Bradd Dalziell, Koby Stevens
Out: Andrew Embley (Shoulder), Darren Glass (Groin), Matthew Priddis (Quad), Matthew Rosa (Quad)

Dean Brogan looks set to return to help Giles against Cox and Naitanui after he had a good run with UWS on weekend. Anthony Miles also did well being named best on for UWS, while coach Brett Hand noted that Treloar might need a few weeks to push for senior selection. I can't see any glaringly obvious outs despite the big win to North.

The stage is set for another tough day at the office with the league-leading Eagles visiting Blacktown. Giles held his own against the Roos ruck corps and will be further tested against Cox and Naitanui. It will be interesting to see how Sheedy and Williams set the structure this week after the first two rounds saw a breakdown at half forward and coming off half back (especially in round 2). I'm hoping for more of a forward structure this week with Folau coming out of the goalsquare and Cameron given the chance to own the forward 50. That still leaves 16 to play behind the ball :D

Nonetheless, it should be a good afternoon out at the admin and training base of the Giants!

Nice little write up there ... I'd just thought I'd pop in and ask about Darley

How far away do you think he is from a debut? .. Or is Sheeds quite confident in your defenders at this point? .. looked really good in the NAB cup

Thanks .. and good luck for the game!

Looking forward to this game. I think we will see an improved performance on
Sunday! Yes tough and I can't see us getting within 10 goals of WC but I think Sheeds n co will change a few things and have the boys pumped in front of a vocal, local home base crowd! .....

I'd like to say that I'm expecting a close-run game but the betting agencies are giving your lot no hope whatsoever.

Woosha has also indicated he won't be taking this lightly even if there is the temptation to rest key players. This might get ugly, no offence.

One thing I do hope for is that neither side picks up injuries and that your boys are better for the run.

Nice little write up there ... I'd just thought I'd pop in and ask about Darley

How far away do you think he is from a debut? .. Or is Sheeds quite confident in your defenders at this point? .. looked really good in the NAB cup

Thanks .. and good luck for the game!
Darley was thought to be in contention for a spot but he hasn't been lighting it up in the couple of games in the NEAFL nor has he really been mentioned in any selection talk. That and I think they're pretty confident in Davis, Mohr, Hombsch, Greene, Cornes, Kennedy, Bugg down back. Darley will also now have Buntine (back from injury, missed NAB Cup and round 1) to contend with for a spot down back.

Pretty tough to tell when Darley will get a run but it probably won't be this week or the next few (from what we know...)

Looking forward to this game. I think we will see an improved performance on
Sunday! Yes tough and I can't see us getting within 10 goals of WC but I think Sheeds n co will change a few things and have the boys pumped in front of a vocal, local home base crowd! .....

I CAN see you getting within 10 goals of West Coast. I've just put $200.00 down hoping for anything better than a ten goal loss.

I CAN see you getting within 10 goals of West Coast. I've just put $200.00 down hoping for anything better than a ten goal loss.

You have just lost $200, stupid bet.

Good luck guys, let's just hope no injuries come out of the game.

You have just lost $200, stupid bet.

Good luck guys, let's just hope no injuries come out of the game.

Trust a freo supporter to make a bet like that. Haters gonna hate!

Might be a good bet if we decide to rest quite a few players.

Trust a freo supporter to make a bet like that. Haters gonna hate!

Might be a good bet if we decide to rest quite a few players.

You will be resting a few players. It's GWS first home game. GWS have players to come into the side. WCE have two trips to make, one to Sydney and another to Blacktown.

I think the previous poster made the most telling point. If the Eagles are going in with the mind-set to simply avoid injuries, the game will throw up a few surprises.

I've seen this "resting players" and "we are taking this game seriously" talk over the years and it never works out.

This has nothing to do with "hating" the Eagles. I'm still backing them to win ... just by not much.

We won't be resting players, Woosha isn't like that. It's just stupid to rest players this early into the season. Don't just say "You WILL be resting a few players" when you don't have a clue. The 100 point margin will have been breached by 3 quarter time.

Eagles to win by between 1-19 points was paying $201.00 so $50 down for a $10,050 return. You had to be quick though it's not available any more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We won't be resting players, Woosha isn't like that. It's just stupid to rest players this early into the season. Don't just say "You WILL be resting a few players" when you don't have a clue. The 100 point margin will have been breached by 3 quarter time.

Everyone will have an opinion but I take it you havent seen the ground at Blacktown, it is very short in comparison to what the Eagles are used to and like the SCG doesnt suit big forward lines so some changes from the Eagles would be advised as 4 x 190cm plus forwards will have no space, like the SCG the Centre half forward line is almost redundant.

Big scores are rarely kicked at the ground as it is easy to shut teams down by conjesting areas and as there are no stands the wind howls thru and can play havoc.

I would be very wary of big predictions on the margin not due to the talent of the teams but more the conditions and elements like the travelling time and GWS knowing the ground backwards.

What can you tell me about Blacktown? Is it a big ground?
As deluge said above me, it's not a huge ground - I read a post by Giants FC a while ago who said it was probably similar to the SCG but a bit longer.

[/b]

Everyone will have an opinion but I take it you havent seen the ground at Blacktown, it is very short in comparison to what the Eagles are used to and like the SCG doesnt suit big forward lines so some changes from the Eagles would be advised as 4 x 190cm plus forwards will have no space, like the SCG the Centre half forward line is almost redundant.

Big scores are rarely kicked at the ground as it is easy to shut teams down by conjesting areas and as there are no stands the wind howls thru and can play havoc.

I would be very wary of big predictions on the margin not due to the talent of the teams but more the conditions and elements like the travelling time and GWS knowing the ground backwards.
Interesting in that we never play the SCG that well. I think you may be surprised that our 190cm+ forwards actually run and tackle as well as most small forwards. I would think they would have a considerable size advantage to the GWS palyers (ie strength) and will easily out body them in marking contests.

Sheedy is an old foe to West Coast though and we have a colourful history with him at Essendon, so wont be surprised at anything he pulls out of his bag of tricks!

Praying for no injuries and an entertaining game.:thumbsu:

Going to be great to watch!

The Eagles should be a lock for the Top 4, they are an incredibly physical side that will pressure the Giants all day and they rarely waste posession..

The Giants do have an array of talented players, and with Sheedy giving them confidence to go out aggressively and with a more experienced line-up than their previous two games they will be definately primed to prove something against the Eagles.

I like the previously raised idea of Folau playing out of the square with Cameron playing the CHF role..

I'm not holding my breath about any potential upset this week (we'll have Rounds 5, 7 & 8 coming soon enough for that), but I was very much looking forward to being at BISP. I'd even mapped out my 105 min train/ bus trip!

Then my wife pointed out that this Sunday is Orthodox Easter, so family function takes priority (bar regular surrepticious ducking out to listen to the on-line radio call).

West Coast are very much the real deal, so this game will be great for GWS' future stars to also get an idea of what the great teams play like. The lessons of this game will hopefully pay off in a few years time.

Squads updated in the OP, three to drop from each side. Ins and outs:

GIANTS:
In: Shaun Edwards, Adam Treloar, Adam Tomlinson, Liam Sumner, Dean Brogan
Out: Nathan Wilson (omitted), Dom Tyson (injury)

Eagles:
In: Sam Butler, Mitch Brown, Patrick McGinnity, Bradd Dalziell, Koby Stevens, Ryan Neates, Jacob Brennan
Out: Andrew Embley (Shoulder), Darren Glass (Groin), Matthew Priddis (Quad), Matthew Rosa (Quad)

I wouldnt be suprised at all if west coast use most of the inns - to give more game time too brennan, neates, stevens, dalziell etc etc

watch for exprienced players to be rested prior to the bounce

Woosha is like that :thumbsu:

He said on 6PR last night that he would be happy to win by 24 or 25 points. So I backed the Eagles to win by between 20-29 points. That was paying $151.00 :eek:

I've even backed GWS to win at 500/1, in a two horse race.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back