AFLW Autopsy R3: Outclassed by the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

R3.jpg

ROUND 3: ADELAIDE VS ESSENDON​

Wigan Oval, Unley SA​

Saturday September 16 @ 3.05pm AEST​

LastWeek.jpg

ESSENDON has marked its historic first AFLW fixture at Windy Hill with a 12-point win over St Kilda, continuing its unbeaten start to the season.

It was Essendon's first game at its spiritual home in a national competition – either men's or women's – since August 1991.

Essendon was dominant early and grabbed the ascendancy with three straight goals in the opening 10 minutes.

Prolific midfielder Maddy Prespakis starred again with a game-high 29 disposals in the Bombers' 6.4 (40) to 4.4 (28) victory on Sunday, with 15 contested possessions and five clearances.

The other half of 'Velcro', Georgia Gee, celebrated her 50th AFLW game in style, with 19 touches and a goal.

The Saints gradually dragged their way back into the contest, kicking four of the next five majors to level the scores midway through the third quarter.

But the Bombers steadied late in the third term and turned for home 12 points in front with co-captain Bonnie Toogood (17d, 1g), Sophie 'Magic' Alexander (19d) and newcomer Brooke Walker (15d, 6clr) contributing strongly.

Neither side managed to score in a hard-fought final period, including a spectacular smother by Daria Bannister, and ending in a win to kick off the Bombers’ 2023 campaign 2-0.

The Bombers' win came at a cost, with co-captain Steph Cain undergoing a concussion test during the final quarter after her head met the turf in a dump tackle from Jaimee Lambert, while midfielder Kodi Jacques was suspended for rough conduct after a solid tackle on Nicola Xenos.

ESSENDON 6.4 (40)

ST KILDA 4.4 (28)

GOALS: Vogt, Clarke, Gee, Toogood, Wuetschner, Radford
BEST: Prespakis, Toogood, Gee, Walker, Alexander, Vogt

Crowd: 3,915 at Windy Hill

55786325_797143013982494_1538847676479569920_o.jpg

ADELAIDE

FB:4. Zoe Prowse13. Kiera Mueller
HB:14. Stevie-Lee Thompson26. Chelsea Randall12. Chelsea Biddell
C:17. Madison Newman33. Anne Hatchard23. Niamh Kelly
HF:5. Rachelle Martin15. Danielle Ponter31. Yvonne Bonner
FF:32. Jessica Allan19. Jessica Waterhouse
Foll:1. Caitlin Gould10. Ebony Marinoff25. Teah Charlton
Int:28. Brooke Tonon22. Lisa Whiteley2. Eloise Jones
11. Sarah Goodwin27. Abbie Ballard
Emg:16. Taylah Levy9. Deni Varnhagen21. Montana McKinnon

ESSENDON

FB:17. Clarke26. Van Loon
HB:27. Van De Heuvel14. Gamble9. Walker
C:2. Gee20. Cain28. Busch
HF:33. Clarke24. Alexander8. Toogood
FF:3. Bannister21. Wuetschner
Foll:30. Wales5. Nanscawen4. Prespakis
Int:36. Brown18. Cutting10. Vogt
22. Radford32. Scott
Emg:16. Dyke6. Marshall11. Barba

selectiontable.jpg

Essendon has made one change to its side to take on Adelaide in round three.

Ruck Leah Cutting will make her club debut, replacing midfielder Kodi Jacques who will miss through suspension.

With previous AFLW experience at the Saints, Cutting will be looking to bring her strong aerobic capacity and competitive edge to the Dons' mix.

Forwards Bonnie Toogood and Jess Wuetschner will both line up for their 50th AFLW games.

MILESTONES:

1005287.png

#18 Leah Cutting​

Club Debutante​

1010690.png

#8 Bonnie Toogood

50 AFLW Games

1001690 copy.png

#21 Jess Wuetschner

50 AFLW Games

broadcast guide.jpg

Fox Sports 3, Kayo, AFL Live Official App, AFLW Official App
Coverage starts at 3pm

CARN THE DONS!

F5ttwjFaoAA0O3M.jpeg

Last edited:

The other notable difference is the size and strength of the Crows.

Just a more advanced footy team.
Hearing their coach talk in the huddle was interesting. Talking in code about "they've stopped clipping our wings so we'll go back to focus on shoulders" or whatever. Tells you a lot about how fluent they are with their game plan when that's all you need to say.

I’m so glad women have the opportunity to play afl professionally. I don’t think I could ever handle the physicality of it. Total respect and admiration for these players.

Bonnie is such a valuable and awesome player for us. Her mini interview at half time was great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still think we lack pace and outside run. We have a lot of hard at the contest players but we lack the spread and can get run over back the other way. Can not take anything away from our effort and willingness to complete.

🟠 That’s my girl stat alert 🟠
Amber Clarke completed todays game with 9 disposals and 4 good marks for the bombers. Good tackle as well.

I could have actually gone to this but I was stuck at the art gallery 😅

should've gone. We didn't win but Adelaide are probably gonna lift another cup

And you could've rubbed shoulders with Gil McLachlan, since he was also there
Rubbing shoulders with Gil would have been a win for me over an art gallery but I am just an uncultured truck driver from the North of Melbourne :p

Still think we lack pace and outside run. We have a lot of hard at the contest players but we lack the spread and can get run over back the other way. Can not take anything away from our effort and willingness to complete.

You are 100% correct - The team is painfully slow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back