Game Day R4: Adelaide v Carlton, Richmond Oval, Sunday 12.40pm ACDT

Remove this Banner Ad

The team as a whole looks unfit, Marinoff no excuse for carrying puppy fat after 3 years as a midfielder.

Might help her disposal aswell if she wasn't stuffed and could get out of a slow jog.

Poor fitness, poor decision making, lack of footy smarts on the day. Much to learn but a team with their success deserves to be backed in week to week. Love you girls.

Regards,

Yu
100% they've won 2 in 3 years we cant be the best team every year, the effort was there just the skills let us down today

Phillips off an ACL whilst she's down on fitness is still a superstar because of her elite kicking and decison making, mad props to her for constantly putting her body in the line

Very frustrating game. We need to work out what we're doing with our F50 entries. So many instances of us kicking it directly to a defender with no Crow near it. There's no connection at all between our mids and forwards at the moment.

Carlton to their credit were good today. They weren't going to lose it for us, we has to actually beat them. And we weren't good enough.
I didnt realise Hart was working with the ladies team as well.

The team as a whole looks unfit, Marinoff no excuse for carrying puppy fat after 3 years as a midfielder.

Might help her disposal aswell if she wasn't stuffed and could get out of a slow jog.
look they are not full time athletes and dont get paid a full time wage so you can't really expect that of them all.

I disagree. Was all self inflicted today chasing the blues players around. Did not set up well for their game plan and as a result has to do a crap load of extra running. And when we did have the ball we turned it over at our 50.

100% they've won 2 in 3 years we cant be the best team every year, the effort was there just the skills let us down today

Phillips off an ACL whilst she's down on fitness is still a superstar because of her elite kicking and decison making, mad props to her for constantly putting her body in the line

I don't think it's too much to ask that we can have consecutive good seasons. I wasn't expecting a flag this year, but we should be making the prelims at worst. Instead we've gone great to s**t, great to s**t again.

Very frustrating game. We need to work out what we're doing with our F50 entries. So many instances of us kicking it directly to a defender with no Crow near it. There's no connection at all between our mids and forwards at the moment.
IMHO theres clearly a strategy developed in training that involves spurning short passes in favour of kicking to space in the forward line. In practice there are defenders in the way.

Had to laugh at one of the Carlton parents yelling out at the end “yay, we beat the umpires!” Oh sweetie, the Carlton persecution complex is strong there.

we were tired (and it was really hot at the ground) and Clarke erred in dropping Newman and the structure he tried to get us to play with a loose player in defence. Our defenders were continually confused as to who was supposed to be loose and our forwards did not work hard to cover their free player out of our forward line. You play lazy, unaccountable football you would normally get beaten by more than 8 points.
Quite simply with our injuries we should have gone back to man on man in the last quarter.

But that is the most disappointing part. It was the skills and decision making letting us down. Just randomly bombing the ball into the 50 will no longer work.
we really should be improving this as a lot of these girls have played four years now.

Had to laugh at one of the Carlton parents yelling out at the end “yay, we beat the umpires!” Oh sweetie, the Carlton persecution complex is strong there.

we were tired (and it was really hot at the ground) and Clarke erred in dropping Newman and the structure he tried to get us to play with a loose player in defence. Our defenders were continually confused as to who was supposed to be loose and our forwards did not work hard to cover their free player out of our forward line. You play lazy, unaccountable football you would normally get beaten by more than 8 points.
Quite simply with our injuries we should have gone back to man on man in the last quarter.

Yep agree. Out coached and out played yet we nearly won. How was that free against Gumm in the last quarter.

We looked very slow (especially forward of center) and, despite being tall, quite inept aerially

If we wanted to bring in both Phillips and Metcalfe I feel a player like Bidell needed to make way instead of Newman. Missed her pace and agility.

look they are not full time athletes and dont get paid a full time wage so you can't really expect that of them all.

Nah, can't use the old "not full time athletes" excuse.

Plenty of ammos put in to ensure they are fit, I'm sure we all work with people who are fitness freaks (runners or cyclists) that have an office based job but still find the time to be super fit.

There is no excuse for any midfielder after 3 years to turn up carrying excess weight.

I disagree. Was all self inflicted today chasing the blues players around. Did not set up well for their game plan and as a result has to do a crap load of extra running. And when we did have the ball we turned it over at our 50.
We were too busy guarding the corridor while they easily went wide along the boundary.

If we had set up better to block off that switch outlet we wouldn't have been burned time and again.

If we could especially force them to kick long to contests, it would have exposed their lack of a penetrating kick and defensive setup, which would have allowed us more access to our fast counter.

You could even see players needing to run hard and burn energy to relocate from their corridor guard to manning up the kick-mark play down the wing. It cooked us.

One of the few matches I can recall us being comprehensively outcoached

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out coached and out skilled today. While some of our skills are improving, our kicking seems to have taken a step back. When under pressure, we kick blindly on a hope and a prayer, and today, almost every single time, it went to the opposition. Sometimes when we do that, it might just go to space, but not today. While I love Erin, she was a bit of a weight for us today because she can’t really provide any defence. Still a class above all others, we were too focussed on her in the first half, and in the second, oppo was just running off her at every opportunity. She needs to be plonked at FF with a quick small at her feet. Someone MUST teach Marinoff about looking before she kicks. Her turnovers cost us today.

The standard overall was terrible.
Opening 5 minutes was more so pro-carlton (Which made no difference), but for the rest of the game was terrible completely both ways.

I laughed at one instance (3rd quarter I think). The bald umpire (Andrew Crosby - yeah, I hate him because hes shown how crap he is at sanfl level before) had an instance where we tackled a Carlton player after prior opportunity and it went out of bounds. It's either holding the ball for incorrect disposal or last possession out of bounds..... No call, throw in. Bullshit call. You have 3 calls. 1 is right, 1 saves face, the other is wrong. You selected the wrong.

But at the end of the game, that game was lost in the coaching box. Reminded me of the 2006 mens loss to Richmond. Chip kicks all day across the backline and we never adjusted.

I remember seeing something last year about how there's a lot of Neil Craig protégés in the AFL. That's what I saw today. Never reacted.

Once Phillips is back to full fitness we can win it in the guts and potentially nullify the s**t Carlton brought out.

One thought of the game, Hatchard did a lot of great stuff with ball in hand. But she was spent in the 4th. What happened to our rotations? Did either Hatchard or Phillips spend 1 minute on the bench (besides mid 4th for Phillips where I didn't see her)

Got to admire Daniel Harford reckon he puts in the most effort as a AFLW head coach, has been a great addition to the competition. Obviously watched a lot of footage and planned on this game from a long way back. Carlton should’ve won by more they smashed them around the ground all day.

You’re not going to win with the stats the way they were

Crows;
  • Minus 92 possessions (-57 kicks, -35 handballs)
  • -23 contested
  • -71 uncontested
  • -49 marks
  • Tackles in Fwd 50 -10 (3 for the entire match, men’s team like)
When the team’s much better skilled than you that’s just handing them the game.

Carlton were easily the better team today. Crows were lucky to be ahead and in it early on. Their players ran hard into space. Their kicking was precise. They were marking it. I think Crows are a great contested side and that's where our midfielders dominate, but our outside is weak. Their players just looked way more skilled today, while the Crows looked fumbly and kicking it forward to no one in particular.

Justine Mules played well today. Metcalfe played alright. Allan was as good as she could be playing on Harris.
Crows need a different game plan if they are to compete this year.

Jess Foley’s loss was huge just went downhill at the stoppages around the ground with them going all Carlton’s way, having Hatchard play 2nd Ruck instead of Biddell was robbing Peter to pay Paul stuff. Also Doc Clarke subscribing to his old mate Campo’s “Good teams don’t tag” strategy against Prespakis didn’t work, it was like he hadn’t seen her play this year.

Time for Stevie Lee to be dropped was awful has been all season, Newman getting dropped a bad call, really starting to miss Varnhagen’s running ability and the drop back wing position she plays between mid & defence, the Sophie Li version in that role was Dear in headlights stuff in defence.

Interesting little coincidence I was thinking about all through the game, in ‘98 when Modra came back from his knee he played against Carlton at home and Carlton won, Erin comes back from her knee and Carlton win.

Marinoff has really turned into the Crouch sister this year, lots of stats, not a lot of impact, and a major purveyor of the finest turnovers a piece of silver can purchase.

Shifting Allan off Harris and moving Rajcic there instead for the premiership quarter also didn't help.
I don’t believe you sneak in to AFWL forum thinking you can just off load your hatred of the Crouch boys
Discusting

This game was probably a better reflection of where we’re at currently among the team rankings. Some teams have advanced and we seem to have stagnated. Hatchard the only clear improvement that I can see, whilst other players are seemingly plodding along.

Great to see Erin back and not showing signs of fear for her knee. Metcalfe looking reasonably in good shape also. Though that last minute play by Metcalfe was frustrating with her taking her time to go back at the 50m mark and not bothering to look what was in front of her. All it did was to allow the Carlton defenders time to set up their defense, and did Metcalfe think she was going to kick a 50m goal?

I think Jess Foley is underrated by the fact witnessing today after she was off injured, our structure just turned to shits. Hope it’s not a serious injury, whatever it is.

Lots of good comments here. At the ground it was very frustrating to see Carlton have one or two players loose in defence, then when they win the ball due to our lack of targets our our blind kicking they run it out of defence with ease. All day. We did not seem to even attempt to counter being outnumbered or countering the switch.

Then when they get it pass centre they just look for Harris. We missed Cheslea bad, she used to take care of her. I don't know what our defensive match-ups were meant to be but often it did not seem that we had our best tall defender (Sarah Allen) on Harris. Isn't that coaching 101? Nullify their main goal kicking threat?

I hope Doc isn't from the Don Pyke/Neil Craig school of "who needs a plan B?". We needed one today.

I think Jess Foley is underrated by the fact witnessing today after she was off injured, our structure just turned to shits. Hope it’s not a serious injury, whatever it is.
I don't think Jess Foley is underrated at all. She's one of our most important pillars in the team. I don't know if people remember Metcalfe in the ruck, but she's not the best. She's a good backup ruck, but not a number 1. Foley dominates the ruck for us, though she can play forward and back as well. Foley was actually pretty good up forward before Metcalfe was injured and she was forced to play in the ruck. She's also been one of our more consistently good players this year. Hopefully she's not out too long with the ankle.
To be honest she looked a bit worried about over exerting herself.
Her speed and turning were really slow to non existent, but I didn't expect her to come back first game and throw herself around.

The last 7 minutes highlighted our lack of understanding about pressure football

It's still early enough in the games development that front on hard running in your face pressure will see mistakes

But we looked to be jogging when we should have been running hard

Remove this Banner Ad

Back