Preview R4: Richmond v Brisbane (Take 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soren Lorenson

Debutant
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Sunderland
Round 4 – Richmond v Brisbane

MCG 2.10pm

Traditional time, traditional venue and traditional opposition (sorry Bears supporters this is a 4th generation Fitzroy perspective).

Last years Premiers v last years wooden spooners doesn’t usually spark much interest except perhaps those who relish a one sided contest, especially when said wooden spooners are 0-3 and the Premiers 2-1, which includes a loss to last years runners up.

The straight facts however cover up some of the underlying stories that have played out in the last 6 months, or more so the last 3 weeks.

Most would have predicted the Lions to be 0-3 at this stage however I think it is fair to say that is not necessarily a true indication of where we are at.

After basking in triple premiership glory it has been a long road over the last 15 years with many false dawns and even more dashed hopes. However I think it is fair to say that there is light at the end of the tunnel and that this time it is not a train.

Having recently moved from Victoria to the warmer climes of the Fraser Coast, and not having had the luxury of Foxtel, I am now able to actually watch the Lions more than once or twice a year, and so far I have liked what I have seen. We all know the dramatic improvements off field with the introduction of Chris Fagan and co and now we are starting to see some improvement on field. Whilst I was gutted to lose, especially to xxxxing Port Adelaide, to have the desire and skill to be able to come back when it looked like they were going to run away with it was heart warming. Our two other losses to St Kilda and Melbourne were equally disappointing, but the key factor in both is that we fought back in both games when we could easily have been over run in both.

Ok, I would like to say a big congratulations to Richmond, I really didn’t think that Richmond and Premiers would ever actually be associated with each other except when old blokes reminisced about the 60’s 70’s and 80’s, or in Bay 13 style jokes. But here we are, Richmond 2017 Premiers. One of my best mates Dad has a Richmond garden gnome who is strategically positioned in the garden depending on how Richmond are going. Fair to say it spent a fair bit of time banished to the back corner but has been front and centre for the last 6-9 months. I think its time he spent some time in the back yard.

So whilst not suffering a Bulldogs style hangover, the Tigers do however appear to be a little slow out of the blocks. This is understandable because there is no point to being April Premiers when the aim is to be Premiers in September/October. I do however think they have shown enough to suggest that they will be one of the teams to beat and will be in the mix come the end of the year. Any side with a core of Martin, Cotchin, Rance and Reiwoldt, a solid support crew and some sprightly young guns will always be competitive and will be a test for our new resolve.

Ok, so how do we win this? Firstly by showing the same resolve we have over the past the 3 weeks, but this time do it for the full 4 quarters. Whilst we are not there yet there have been dramatic and positive improvements. Red time has been a real problem over the last few years and whilst this has not completely gone away (see the final 20 seconds against Port in the first quarter last week), we have seen some real improvement in this area based on the evidence so far.

Richmond’s strength has been there defensive pressure and quick rebound, both areas that have been deficiencies of ours. We do look good when we move the ball quickly however we will get burnt by turnovers if we give the ball up too easily.

So the keys for me to beat the Tigers are

- play 4 quarters

- limit turnovers

- fast accurate ball movement into the forward line

- defensive pressure

simples!

Lions to break the curse and return the gnome to the back corner, Brisbane by 14.

Go Lions!!!!

Round 4 – Richmond v Brisbane

MCG 2.10pm

Traditional time, traditional venue and traditional opposition (sorry Bears supporters this is a 4th generation Fitzroy perspective).

Last years Premiers v last years wooden spooners doesn’t usually spark much interest except perhaps those who relish a one sided contest, especially when said wooden spooners are 0-3 and the Premiers 2-1, which includes a loss to last years runners up.

The straight facts however cover up some of the underlying stories that have played out in the last 6 months, or more so the last 3 weeks.

Most would have predicted the Lions to be 0-3 at this stage however I think it is fair to say that is not necessarily a true indication of where we are at.

After basking in triple premiership glory it has been a long road over the last 15 years with many false dawns and even more dashed hopes. However I think it is fair to say that there is light at the end of the tunnel and that this time it is not a train.

Having recently moved from Victoria to the warmer climes of the Fraser Coast, and not having had the luxury of Foxtel, I am now able to actually watch the Lions more than once or twice a year, and so far I have liked what I have seen. We all know the dramatic improvements off field with the introduction of Chris Fagan and co and now we are starting to see some improvement on field. Whilst I was gutted to lose, especially to xxxxing Port Adelaide, to have the desire and skill to be able to come back when it looked like they were going to run away with it was heart warming. Our two other losses to St Kilda and Melbourne were equally disappointing, but the key factor in both is that we fought back in both games when we could easily have been over run in both.

Ok, I would like to say a big congratulations to Richmond, I really didn’t think that Richmond and Premiers would ever actually be associated with each other except when old blokes reminisced about the 60’s 70’s and 80’s, or in Bay 13 style jokes. But here we are, Richmond 2017 Premiers. One of my best mates Dad has a Richmond garden gnome who is strategically positioned in the garden depending on how Richmond are going. Fair to say it spent a fair bit of time banished to the back corner but has been front and centre for the last 6-9 months. I think its time he spent some time in the back yard.

So whilst not suffering a Bulldogs style hangover, the Tigers do however appear to be a little slow out of the blocks. This is understandable because there is no point to being April Premiers when the aim is to be Premiers in September/October. I do however think they have shown enough to suggest that they will be one of the teams to beat and will be in the mix come the end of the year. Any side with a core of Martin, Cotchin, Rance and Reiwoldt, a solid support crew and some sprightly young guns will always be competitive and will be a test for our new resolve.

Ok, so how do we win this? Firstly by showing the same resolve we have over the past the 3 weeks, but this time do it for the full 4 quarters. Whilst we are not there yet there have been dramatic and positive improvements. Red time has been a real problem over the last few years and whilst this has not completely gone away (see the final 20 seconds against Port in the first quarter last week), we have seen some real improvement in this area based on the evidence so far.

Richmond’s strength has been there defensive pressure and quick rebound, both areas that have been deficiencies of ours. We do look good when we move the ball quickly however we will get burnt by turnovers if we give the ball up too easily.

So the keys for me to beat the Tigers are

- play 4 quarters

- limit turnovers

- fast accurate ball movement into the forward line

- defensive pressure

simples!

Lions to break the curse and return the gnome to the back corner, Brisbane by 14.

Go Lions!!!!
Glad you had a copy.

Unfortunately there will be a few on here celebrating Lester's dropping. I do agree he had to go and be replaced by speed then why Cox if they wanted to go with a faster team. Beams had to come back in and a swap for Lester seems find. Cox for Bailey I guess is also like for like. Really does make our team super fast if the effective disposal % is high.

Never been this happy for two players to be dropped

Our team is looking good :)

Also so keen to see Bailey

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mmmm, not sure if that was the final cut but i guess it will do.
This must be the BF version. For the Director's Cut or the Extended version, or the Remastered version or the Fan's Cut we will have to wait. Right?

Bailey is going to be a great player for us but don't expect too much this season as he is physically not ready. I assume this is about getting games into a future star (which I am ok with). I guess they will play him as a small forward and tell him to use his pace to put pressure on and then kick goals like his second one on Sat night .

I don't want to have a go at your posts but this was a bit unnecessary. I'm also excited to see what Bailey can deliver though and I think we can win on Saturday. :thumbsu:

I feel like he was right but for the wrong reasons. No one deserved the chop. Cox still played with intensity and Lester was his fine old self. Just shows that we are getting more depth where more is expected of each player every week in order to stay in the side.

I’d imagine with Rich coming in next week and Lester being dropped, everyone will definitely bring it because no one is safe.

I think our selections so far have been refining our game plan a bit. Rarely have we gone like-for-like.

Will be interesting to see how much time Bailey plays in the middle or if he plays mainly forward.

I guess Lester isn't the protected species some make him out to be
Well his form has been very ordinary and alot of people on here want to carry on about all the little things he does.What he doesnt do is win enough football or hurt the opposition with those touches.There is no doubt he is very professional and well regarded within the group but the younger talent is going past him at a rate of knots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back