Preview R4: Richmond v Brisbane (Take 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got taught a lesson about commenting on player selection when BRISBANE used to run a similar forum but it was club specific, back in I think 1999. Passed the opinion that a bloke named Bolton wasn’t up to it (thought I knew a bit about footy I did), a premiership in 2005 sorted that out for me.
At the time that forum allowed access to your email and I was surprised to get an email from Craig Starcevich’s account asking “how many games did you play campaigner”. Got in touch with the club about it and the players used Starces computer during their downtime. They don’t know who sent it, but what it taught me was
a) how little I knew about players development and
b) players do read these forums and do get affected by comments

I got taught a lesson about commenting on player selection when BRISBANE used to run a similar forum but it was club specific, back in I think 1999. Passed the opinion that a bloke named Bolton wasn’t up to it (thought I knew a bit about footy I did), a premiership in 2005 sorted that out for me.
At the time that forum allowed access to your email and I was surprised to get an email from Craig Starcevich’s account asking “how many games did you play campaigner”. Got in touch with the club about it and the players used Starces computer during their downtime. They don’t know who sent it, but what it taught me was
Sorry to say... But you are a campaigner if you reported that comment to the club.

Geeeesh

I’m super excited to see what young Zac can do

That said, I’m disappointed at the “let’s dance on Lester’s grave” attitude being displayed by some around here, as though it’s some kind of zero sum game.

Bad karma.

So yeah, let’s have some respect for a loyal servant of the club.
Absolutely agree. True supporters do not take delight & joy when a great club man loses his spot in the team. yes... bad karma

Thank God the last 67 losses in a row we’ve had to them have all been unimportant little games:think: ;)

None of them have been ‘Daydream Time at the G’ games though. This is a biggie and Richmond are going to choke. They are going to really struggle against our small forwards. I think we will share the goal kicking about, but I can see Charlie Cameron ‘kicking a bag.’ Watch out for Rohan Bewick this week. I am tipping his BREAKOUT GAME!

With our improvement and some consistency and a quickly improving list this is the result , players unlucky to be dropped. Both cox and lester are unlucky but they will be made aware what they need to improve.

The game plan involves pace this week against the Tigers , let's hope we are on the money

Just hope our youngins don't get stage fright eg MCG, huge opposition crowd etc.

Be very vocal Lions fans at the game, be very vocal......and I want to hear the chant, gives me goosebumps every time.

Go get 'em Lions! Time to take back and show who the real King of the Jungle is.

Agree with some of the previous comments about Richmond's susceptibility to speed/running. They're very physical in the midfield, and like to keep everything to the skinny side of the field and use long down the line pretty frequently, but don't like running too much. If we can use the switch and get their midfield moving, we have a real chance.

Their defenders also aren't great at ground level, which plays right into our hands if we can get the ball down there and let our smalls work.

Its not even the reading of the forums that annoys me. It’s like some people around here think a player is playing badly on purpose? Or not giving it there all on game day. I wish the club could do a week in the life series or something. Show exactly how much work these guys put in. Then follow them post-game watch them get to bed before there curfews, get hassled out and about.

I know someone made a comment about an 80 hour week.... lol do you also have to watch exactly what you say out and about and on social media? Do you have to let the drug testers know every where you go 24/7?

What about watch out for all the people actively trying to catch you doing something wrong when you’re out with your mates. (Jesse Hogan’s cigarette). Or our most recent example of SPS night club incident which is looking more and more like bs as more comes out?

Playing professional football is not a normal job. Nothing comes close, it is one of the most intense lifestyles you can live. The scrutiny both on and off the field that these guys face is incredible.

To question effort on game day, a players desire or commitment to succeed is bullshit. To celebrate a player being dropped is also a s**t thing to do.

Yeah they get paid good money but they also miss out on a lot of things that we take for granted. And ya know what? The better player you become the worse it gets. The spotlight gets magnified ten fold.

Look at Ben Keays and Rohan Bewick going to falls over the off season. The way some people acted around here over that. The one week a year they can let there hair down and a lot of posters on here if they had the choice would’ve barred them from going.

None of them have been ‘Daydream Time at the G’ games though. This is a biggie and Richmond are going to choke. They are going to really struggle against our small forwards. I think we will share the goal kicking about, but I can see Charlie Cameron ‘kicking a bag.’ Watch out for Rohan Bewick this week. I am tipping his BREAKOUT GAME!
I'm feeling some confidence as well with this game, team has some real hard working talent in the side now that will show others that is whats required to impact games. eg. Charlie.
Rowen yeh , i called him last year after rd2 that he had a quantum leap , and the team as well. Rd3 I think we got smashed.
He just struggled with his disposal, burnt the ball one or two many times.
I'm with you though I still think he can make it , just needs to kick those goals or improve his disposals.
Also a big issue with him was his poor tackling style with a stretched out arm, to me this is were if he fixes this and does what he does and becomes a tackling machine he would be best 22, always been a bit of a favorite , so disappointing when he misses tackles or a terrible disposal or a miss on goals. Needs be clean up all those areas or at least be exceptional in some.
He covers the ground really well , could be similar to Jordan Lewis .
This would be his time , no doubt , or he could be gone for good.
A few Tigers will be sore after this game.
Lions to hold off the Tiges. by 3.

Watch out for Rohan Bewick this week. I am tipping his BREAKOUT GAME!

I don't want to think how many times over the years we have thought/hoped that such a thing might actually come to pass ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank God the last 67 losses in a row we’ve had to them have all been unimportant little games:think: ;)

Nobody beats us 68 times in a row!

Will be a blessing for the NEAFL team
THIS. Exactly this.

Lester isn't the most naturally talented player on our list, and I'm sure he'd admit that. But he's a bloody hard worker and a leader (whether natural or developed I'm not sure, but I like it either way). Frankly, even if he stays in the NEAFL the rest of the year (which I doubt), he would be to the NEAFL what Hodge is to our AFL team (except a comparatively better player - Hodge's best is behind him, and his onfield play has been reasonable but not A-grade this season. Lester will dominate the NEAFL). Really think he'll be a huge benefit to guys like Starcevich and Cox and the like. Even if only in the NEAFL, he'll earn his wages.

30D89033-F0A3-4C9B-BFE0-CEF14AD487C3.jpeg Given our team, the ‘Daydream Time at the G’ has goal-fest written all over it. I am loving Fagan’s aggressive team selection and the outfit he has assembled for the game tomorrow. I think the Richmond defenders would be quietly ‘cacking their dacks’ when they look at this lineup.

Just hope our youngins don't get stage fright eg MCG, huge opposition crowd etc.

Be very vocal Lions fans at the game, be very vocal......and I want to hear the chant, gives me goosebumps every time.

Go get 'em Lions! Time to take back and show who the real King of the Jungle is.
We silenced the crowd at Adelaide not many of our supporters there, should be a bigger lions supporter numbers this week.
Time to pounce , lets get us a scalp.

Weather isn't looking great for others like myself making the trek.

Cloudy. Very high (90%) chance of showers, most likely in the late morning and afternoon. The chance of a thunderstorm from the late morning. Winds west to northwesterly 25 to 40 km/h tending north to northwesterly 35 to 50 km/h early in the morning then turning westerly 35 to 55 km/h in the middle of the day.

The sentiment is admirable, the evidence, for the belief , is unfortunately ,lacking.Its one thing to support a player,its another thing again,to promote someone at the expense of those more deserving.

It can go both ways though. The evidence has to be there that there were other players more deserving. In this case Fagan has decided that there is but its hard to argue that Lester has been gifted games. what's that based on? Supercoach and AFL Fantasy stats? Zorko dropped by on the Northern Exposure podcast this week with Mike Whiting and Hammo and they were talking about lester. He said that a most of the things he does aren't reflected in AFL captured stats. They have a footy analyst rewatch the game over a 3-4 hour period, giving a point for a range of acts set by the coaching staff. These are one of the major stats that are on display each week around the club and each player is rated against. Things like chases, blocks etc. He said Lester is top 5 almost every single week. Another player on one of the podcasts also mentioned that he had been performing a similar role to Hodge does in the backline, up forward most of last year, directing traffic and making sure the structures and positioning the young guys were doing was correct, especially last year. This year with Robinson, Christensen and Cameron in there the need for such a role has probably diminished.

Perhaps as a result of this change his role has changed a bit and he's now being asked to do a few more things on an individual level, and hasn't been able to hit those new targets, which is why he has been replaced.

To say that the evidence as to why he has been playing isn't there is untrue, you just have to look a little harder for it than a stat sheet.

Finally, I think its actually positive for us as a team that guys like Lester are sitting on the fringes of selection now and have to improve in other areas going forward to get games. It is a good indication of our growth as a playing group. My hope is that he goes into the two's and improves on the areas he's been told to improve on and works his back into the side. I'm always a big fan of guys who play their roles and make it easier for others around them to shine, and I think that Lester is one of those guys.

Hey Len
I agree with what you are saying, I’m just saying I don’t celebrate it or say about time because he’s this or that as a player. All that is up to the coach. I know how they feel when they get dropped so I empathise. I know these decisions have to be made for the betterment of the team and the individual but I see no value in some of the negative reactions relating to a players omission.
Well said Robbo - I agree with your sentiments entirely...

View attachment 482380 Given our team, the ‘Daydream Time at the G’ has goal-fest written all over it. I am loving Fagan’s aggressive team selection and the outfit he has assembled for the game tomorrow. I think the Richmond defenders would be quietly ‘cacking their dacks’ when they look at this lineup.
Your thoughts on seeing Josh Walker named at full back?:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back