Preview R4: Richmond v Brisbane (Take 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking forward to playing you guys this week, from what I’ve seen this year you’ve been pretty good for large patches, certainly better than 0-3 would suggest. Like what you guys are building and would comfortably take you guys over any of the other ‘young, developing’ clubs.

Bailey looked like a ripper in the u18s last year, he’ll be a player.

Great preview as well!

Looking forward to this clash. Thought Richmond were a bit arrogant in the later stages of last years clash. Hope we can silence the crowd now and then. Go Lions!!

With the shorter Richmond attack, do we think Walker will play forward or back? Not sure we need him in the back line, or will that allow Andrews to play the spare man and try and intercept more
Pretty sure Walker has been named at fullback in every game so far. But has played large chunks of the game up forward.

I think our selections so far have been refining our game plan a bit. Rarely have we gone like-for-like.

Will be interesting to see how much time Bailey plays in the middle or if he plays mainly forward.

Agreed. Player who win contested footy and get clearances :thumbsu: players that tackle :thumbsu: player with good disposal efficiency :thumbsu: now lets add all that and speed it up :thumbsu: fast open footy and run the opposition off their feet. Some players dropped don't fit that game plan, others dropped need to work on a couple of aspects yet. Maybe Cox its tackles and efficiency. Lester it's speed, McStay it's tackles and pressure and so on. I loved our game against Port that was bloody exciting to watch, we lost but I felt like a winner I could see all the pieces falling into place. Talking to 2 really good Richmond supporters today they admit the Tigers haven't been at their top yet, they have some big in's for them this week but if Hipwood and Walker play forward and drag their ket backs out wide they don't have the pace to match Charlie Cameron. Their IN's are more about stopping mid field possessions for us if we get it forward fast (go Matho ) then Charlie will be first there by 5 meters. Daily fits his piece of the puzzle nicely now the rest are getting it together. Could be a heat wave in Melbourne for this game, more in our favour with a kid from Darwin.

Hey Len
I agree with what you are saying, I’m just saying I don’t celebrate it or say about time because he’s this or that as a player. All that is up to the coach. I know how they feel when they get dropped so I empathise. I know these decisions have to be made for the betterment of the team and the individual but I see no value in some of the negative reactions relating to a players omission.

I agree with you, while a player is on our list we all hope they will become a super star until they are gone. But I also think we should be able to discuss, in a positive way, why they have been dropped and why they may not be being selected. The great thing about this forum is that there are some really really good observers of footy and different weeks different people see things others don't. It's just how we put that forward that matters. Some are down right cringeworthy and some are positive and encouraging.

With the shorter Richmond attack, do we think Walker will play forward or back? Not sure we need him in the back line, or will that allow Andrews to play the spare man and try and intercept more
Dont know , Walker played forward last week and Andrews was back to his best at those intercept marks.
Maybe Dizzy took more of the lock down role?
Game was too much of a blur to remember , maybe a factor was Dixon and Westoff had to share the ruck duties and Stef dominated them .

Its not even the reading of the forums that annoys me. It’s like some people around here think a player is playing badly on purpose? Or not giving it there all on game day. I wish the club could do a week in the life series or something. Show exactly how much work these guys put in. Then follow them post-game watch them get to bed before there curfews, get hassled out and about.

I know someone made a comment about an 80 hour week.... lol do you also have to watch exactly what you say out and about and on social media? Do you have to let the drug testers know every where you go 24/7?

What about watch out for all the people actively trying to catch you doing something wrong when you’re out with your mates. (Jesse Hogan’s cigarette). Or our most recent example of SPS night club incident which is looking more and more like bs as more comes out?

Playing professional football is not a normal job. Nothing comes close, it is one of the most intense lifestyles you can live. The scrutiny both on and off the field that these guys face is incredible.

To question effort on game day, a players desire or commitment to succeed is bullshit. To celebrate a player being dropped is also a s**t thing to do.

Yeah they get paid good money but they also miss out on a lot of things that we take for granted. And ya know what? The better player you become the worse it gets. The spotlight gets magnified ten fold.

Look at Ben Keays and Rohan Bewick going to falls over the off season. The way some people acted around here over that. The one week a year they can let there hair down and a lot of posters on here if they had the choice would’ve barred them from going.

When my kids were 7 and 5 one said to me how lucky the players were to play for the Lions. I marched them down to Cooparoo to watch pre-season training and they never said that again. Every year I'd take them down to the first pre-season session where the draftees turned up fo that year. No matter what hype over what kid they all did the same running in the hot sun. On another note i was at a luncheon with Wayne Bennett of the Broncos and Leigh Matthews talking about what it's like to coach a professional football team and they were saying that they only have the players around 24 hours a week, that was the work place agreement with the association and then on top of that each player had no more that 6 to 8 hours promo work in a season on the club's behalf. While it seems low compared to a 40 hour working week if you watch them train and play, in their jobs sleep and rest is necessary and punished if its not happening.

Your thoughts on seeing Josh Walker named at full back?:p
Usual Fagan - Playing Ducks and Drakes with Walker on the team sheet. In time, Walker might make a great full back or a Full Forward in the Daniel Merrett mould. ;) Only time will tell.

Last edited:
I got taught a lesson about commenting on player selection when BRISBANE used to run a similar forum but it was club specific, back in I think 1999. Passed the opinion that a bloke named Bolton wasn’t up to it (thought I knew a bit about footy I did), a premiership in 2005 sorted that out for me.
At the time that forum allowed access to your email and I was surprised to get an email from Craig Starcevich’s account asking “how many games did you play campaigner”. Got in touch with the club about it and the players used Starces computer during their downtime. They don’t know who sent it, but what it taught me was
a) how little I knew about players development and
b) players do read these forums and do get affected by comments
One of my first posts on this web site was to suggest that Bolton was going to be a very good player. What a pity I have done so poorly since.

Is it possible to look up your old posts?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking forward to playing you guys this week, from what I’ve seen this year you’ve been pretty good for large patches, certainly better than 0-3 would suggest. Like what you guys are building and would comfortably take you guys over any of the other ‘young, developing’ clubs.

Bailey looked like a ripper in the u18s last year, he’ll be a player.

Great preview as well!
thanks you the encouragement, this year we are really liking what we have seen so far, as a club we have hope again.

Its not even the reading of the forums that annoys me. It’s like some people around here think a player is playing badly on purpose? Or not giving it there all on game day. I wish the club could do a week in the life series or something. Show exactly how much work these guys put in. Then follow them post-game watch them get to bed before there curfews, get hassled out and about.

I know someone made a comment about an 80 hour week.... lol do you also have to watch exactly what you say out and about and on social media? Do you have to let the drug testers know every where you go 24/7?

What about watch out for all the people actively trying to catch you doing something wrong when you’re out with your mates. (Jesse Hogan’s cigarette). Or our most recent example of SPS night club incident which is looking more and more like bs as more comes out?

Playing professional football is not a normal job. Nothing comes close, it is one of the most intense lifestyles you can live. The scrutiny both on and off the field that these guys face is incredible.
To question effort on game day, a players desire or commitment to succeed is bullshit. To celebrate a player being dropped is also a s**t thing to do.

Yeah they get paid good money but they also miss out on a lot of things that we take for granted. And ya know what? The better player you become the worse it gets. The spotlight gets magnified ten fold.

Look at Ben Keays and Rohan Bewick going to falls over the off season. The way some people acted around here over that. The one week a year they can let there hair down and a lot of posters on here if they had the choice would’ve barred them from going.
Well said Billy - very perceptive and understanding...you appear to write from either personal experience or the experiences of those close to you. Either way, well said...full credit to you.

It's that time folks! It's time for "Kezza's Superstitious and Completely Bogus Logic!"

You see, the past 12 months at work have been hell, due to our wonderful "leaders" getting rid of our beloved manager and putting "Miss Management" in charge, completely destroying morale and ripping apart my performance in particular, jumping on every little mistake I make and blowing it out of proportion. Well, on Wednesday I got the phone call - I have a new job at a new company and I can kiss the horrors goodbye in four weeks! In fact, on Wednesday morning, I told my mother that Wednesday was the day I would be getting the phone call - and I was right!

That being said, this means that this weekend the Lions are going to win. It might only be one point, but we are going to win. I know it the same way that I knew that phone call was coming on Wednesday. Richmond are going to completely underestimate us, and it will be their downfall.

It was good to hear Daly say on the podcast that it was good to see us look composed against port but we should have won and we have achieved nothing this year. Worried that if we don't get a result this week or next, we'll see a drop off in effort.

Pretty sure Walker has been named at fullback in every game so far. But has played large chunks of the game up forward.
He needs to be able to give Stef a chop out as required, so would not be back unless things were pear shaped.

Has anyone seen the forecast!! Typical....Max of 16 degrees...windy....rain...thunderstorms predicted....all around match time.
Will this negate our speed and open play or help Richmond's close in strengths?

Has anyone seen the forecast!! Typical....Max of 16 degrees...windy....rain...thunderstorms predicted....all around match time.

It won't help our skills .

Grounds drain quickly these days...ball will be slippery

Last edited:
I think.it helps us, tends to even.up.skills, is all.about contested ball which we are good at this yr & just getting it forward which suits robbo & Matho in the middle.

If we want it enough we can win, wet or dry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back