Preview R5: Changes vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fletch drop punted a goal from inside the centre square last week. He doesn't need to torp.
true when you can kick drop punts like that. Was just saying generally he's good at the torp. He's the only player i can think of that can use the torp well. Cooney got lucky but it was a good effort though

Another calf for Dawes? Not looking great for him. Great forced out for us though, pretty exciting seeing Billy on the cusp too.

Interesting that he's also ahead of Toumpas.

Edit: As in Pedersen in, Stretch added to Riley and Spencer as the emergencies.

Itchy sack, had no hands to scratch with.

The irritation was too much.

I was leaning towards the after-match press conference being cancelled due to Freo catching an earlier flight back so they didn't see the point in picking him. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

No he isn't, they are just giving him time to develop at Casey in the midfield instead of being sub for Melbourne.
Plus Goodwin described him as a required player during the last trade period, so i assume the toump will be around for a while

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plus Goodwin described him as a required player during the last trade period, so i assume the toump will be around for a while

You're not exactly going to tell the press and public that he's not a required player, unless the only offers you want for him are similar to the pick #88 for Cale Morton trade.

No he isn't, they are just giving him time to develop at Casey in the midfield instead of being sub for Melbourne.

Stretch was added to the Freo game as the emergency. As a one off, doesn't mean much, but if it continues and it seems Roos rates the skinny 18 year old Stretch ahead of Toumpas, surely you're going to have to admit there are some serious warning signs when a fair few new players we draft jump him in the pecking order.

For a guy drafted where he was, he is shockingly out of place in the top tier.

I'm not saying he doesn't have the potential, or that he can't be "developed" into a player that can consistently make the top-22, but to say he isn't on the brink is naive imo.

He is hit and miss in the VFL, which is well below the AFL. Most of his professional career has been played in the VFL and he still can't find form on a consistent basis. He is on the brink. Third year in the system and he still looks like a very average player in a bad team. We've moved beyond that now.

He has this year to prove his worth and then he'll be up for trade. At the most he'll get 2016 as well, but he has a long way to go and we already have 6-8 players who would get a game in his position ahead of him (Viney, Brayshaw, Tyson, Kent, Newton, Michie, JKH, Petracca, and now, Stretch).

Stretch being named ahead of him means nothing here. I've been a vocal critic of Toumpas at times, but 2.5 years is nothing and I'm quite certain that Roos wants him playing good footy at Casey - which he has been - until we hit easier waters. Throw him in now, we lose and everyone blames him. Rather not need him as an emergency, not to mention the fact that Stretch is a small defender and we are short on those. Maybe there's an injury cloud over someone else?

Meanwhile, Jetta was reprieved after his fifth season the list and was far worse than Toumpas - not third.

Stretch being named ahead of him means nothing here. I've been a vocal critic of Toumpas at times, but 2.5 years is nothing and I'm quite certain that Roos wants him playing good footy at Casey - which he has been - until we hit easier waters. Throw him in now, we lose and everyone blames him. Rather not need him as an emergency, not to mention the fact that Stretch is a small defender and we are short on those. Maybe there's an injury cloud over someone else?

Meanwhile, Jetta was reprieved after his fifth season the list and was far worse than Toumpas - not third.

Pretty sure Stretch needs time in the VFL as well. Are any of the emergencies non-playing when you're at home? Thought you only had the one non-playing emergency travel with the team when away. If all the emergencies are playing in the VFL, then it's a bit weird for Stretch to get named. I doubt he's in as small defensive cover - thought he played on the wing? Terlich - even though no one wants to see him again - would be the logical defensive cover.

And on Jetta type revivals, we can't afford to hang on to players for 6 seasons and hope they'll miraculously come good.

For a guy drafted where he was, he is shockingly out of place in the top tier.

I'm not saying he doesn't have the potential, or that he can't be "developed" into a player that can consistently make the top-22, but to say he isn't on the brink is naive imo.

He is hit and miss in the VFL, which is well below the AFL. Most of his professional career has been played in the VFL and he still can't find form on a consistent basis. He is on the brink. Third year in the system and he still looks like a very average player in a bad team. We've moved beyond that now.

He has this year to prove his worth and then he'll be up for trade. At the most he'll get 2016 as well, but he has a long way to go and we already have 6-8 players who would get a game in his position ahead of him (Viney, Brayshaw, Tyson, Kent, Newton, Michie, JKH, Petracca, and now, Stretch).

Except he's been playing very well in the VFL because he's being played in the midfield and getting a full game rather than playing a quarter as a sub which people seem to be basing their opinions off of.

Jesus guys, be part of the solution. Everyone says Watts was so poorly managed, how about we cut the Toump some slack and get behind him.

Put the pitch forks away, let the guy develop with time on his side (being 21 years old, and all) and hope that he can come out the other side as a quality winger/flanker.

Jesus guys, be part of the solution. Everyone says Watts was so poorly managed, how about we cut the Toump some slack and get behind him.

Put the pitch forks away, let the guy develop with time on his side (being 21 years old, and all) and hope that he can come out the other side as a quality winger/flanker.
Spot on.

He is playing good VFL footy now too.

I dont care if he plays the whole season in the VFL if he keeps playing well.

Don't get me wrong. I am behind Toump. I'm putting it to him that he's on the brink and he needs to find a way into the top 22, consistently.
He isn't on the brink though. When does a third year player, let alone a fourth pick, get delisted after playing 20 odd games?

He isn't on the brink though. When does a third year player, let alone a fourth pick, get delisted after playing 20 odd games?

October 2015?

Unless Jimmy reads the forum here and gets disheartened by the perceived lack of support, what we say here doesn't make a lick of difference.

There are no pitch forks out, just people pointing out that Mr Toumpas has done nothing that indicates that he's going to be a mediocre C Grade player for us, let alone a gun player worthy of the #4 pick. Who gives a shite about VFL form. Blease, Magner, McKenzie, Bail, Spencer, etc have all cut it up at that level. The only thing to worry about is if a player can't shine at that level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back