Autopsy R5 Freo def by Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

I just watched the first quarter. Some thoughts:

Skills were abysmal.
Complete inability to hold marks. Griffin and Clarke were absolutely shitful.

Alex Pearce did some great things but got outbodied twice and those lost contests cost two goals.
Neale: worst quarter I've ever seen him play.

Poor decision making. Case in point Carlton's second goal. Griffin runs out of defence. Fyfe is 20 meters in the clear. Griffin kicks to Mayne in a two on one. Goal to the opposition.

Taberner had a great first quarter. Took some marks, kicking was good, split a contest with Weitering which should've resulted in a goal but was missed by our guy running in.
Hill misses easy running goal yet again.
Weller I'd like to be more selfish. Running into 50 he looks to pass always as the first option. Kick the goal son.

Carlton flooding and because we run back so far, we look up and have no one to kick too.

All spot on but Pav has to get a mention if your talking the 1st quarter. He was not with it. The missed goal from 3m out, dropped marks, fumbling, wrong options...

Love to know what the pre match motivation talk was about? We were not switched on....again!

Second quarter: still absolutely no intensity.

Decision making and skills abysmal.
Curnow's goal resulted from a passage of play starting from a poor umpiring decision and a free against Dawson. He should've received the free.

Mayne centering the ball into a nest of Carlton players. WTAF are you doing you muppet?
Neale fluffing yet another short kick.

Grey was outstanding other than the shot on goal and Tucker should've kicked a goal.

Taberner wasn't massively involved but split a two on one contest and then gathered and hand balled out to a running team mate.
His first half was solid.

Griffin and Clarke horrible.

Hill probably our best.
Danyle working really hard but Fcuk me he's as thick as s**t with the ball in hand

Again, all spot on. That free was awarded by Farmer (big surprise) he fair dinkum guessed that. Saw the two players go to ground and just assumed it had to be Dawson's fault.

Now I've watched the game I'm not getting all the hate Hilly has been copping. Sure he missed a couple of running attempts on goal from 50, but he was excellent in the first half (our best player imo) and though his 2nd half wasn't as good it was still a decent game all up. One of our better players on the day I thought.

Now I've watched the game I'm not getting all the hate Hilly has been copping. Sure he missed a couple of running attempts on goal from 50, but he was excellent in the first half (our best player imo) and though his 2nd half wasn't as good it was still a decent game all up. One of our better players on the day I thought.

Same ,also thought Barlow was amongst our best.

One thing that struck me yesterday was how static we were up the ground when trying to move the ball out of defence. Compared to Carlton at least. Not a lot of movement and presenting of options. Dunno whether that's a result of players not quite knowing what the plan is. Kind of exacerbates the disposal issues.

I guess you can look at West Coast and how it basically took them 26-28 games and two pre-seasons to work out how to play Simpson's game plan after Woosha's more man-on-man style. Our list has more issues than theirs in terms of both across the board skill and specific holes but we do have some advantages.

One thing that happened time and time again, we had possession at half back, metres in the clear and a paddock of space in front, but instead of running the ball we kept bombing it long to a contest. What the * is wrong with having a bounce?

One thing that happened time and time again, we had possession at half back, metres in the clear and a paddock of space in front, but instead of running the ball we kept bombing it long to a contest. What the **** is wrong with having a bounce?

The one that sticks in my mind was when Danyle got it around the centre looked up and saw no one in front of him so stopped and turned around to see who he could give it off to. Why didn't he try and run it all the way? Lazy IMO. He handballed backwards which set off a chain of backwards handballs which resulted in a turnover.

One thing that happened time and time again, we had possession at half back, metres in the clear and a paddock of space in front, but instead of running the ball we kept bombing it long to a contest. What the **** is wrong with having a bounce?
Or we would go the switch. Isn't that what Sherro and Sutty and there to do. Be agressive and run the ball out of the backline, hit some targets down the corridor.

The way we played reminded me of Carlton under Malthouse, afraid to go down the corridor so they would switch and switch and switch or just play safe and kick to a contest on the boundary.

Or we would go the switch. Isn't that what Sherro and Sutty and there to do. Be agressive and run the ball out of the backline, hit some targets down the corridor.

The way we played reminded me of Carlton under Malthouse, afraid to go down the corridor so they would switch and switch and switch or just play safe and kick to a contest on the boundary.
Yup you got it 100% right . but I think playing Tab and Clarke also is our biggest downfall.Griff ,Tab and Clarke is just too tall for this season .the boundary game is always the way when you play two ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. I had a bit of a go at him but thats more something thats been building up. I Watched the replay and yes he was good. Apologies Stephen!

His application was great, but his ball use was way down and has been all season. He's not on his own at all, but nothing is more frustrating than seeing your best kick burning it.

I think the most frustrating for me is that getting danyle is supposed to help hills but look like he did not help much.

Ok so this season is a ride off. Does everybody agree the following players need to go? Ballantyne, Dawson, C Pearce, D Pearce, Taberner, Barlow, Mayne, De Boer, Suban, Mzungu, Clarke, Johnson, Sandilands and we know Pavlich is retiring. Need to get top end picks and not old slow players that skills are up to wafl standard

How many draft picks do you think we will get? :S

His application was great, but his ball use was way down and has been all season. He's not on his own at all, but nothing is more frustrating than seeing your best kick burning it.
We all know Hilly is an awesome kick and if he can't find an open player up field then the other lesser mortals will have no hope. It starkly demonstrates the problem we are having in changing our style of ball movement.
Of our forwards Pav, Mayne, Ballas, even Son Son really struggle to get separation from the defender, probably a combination of lack of pace and not working well together at the moment.
But there are still some inexcusably bad kicks.

Only positives were that Weller and AP continue to play good footy and that Tucker looked good on debut. Went at 81% efficiency from 16 touches. Also thought that Grey was really good and took his opportunity with both hands. It's going to be a long season with both Fyfe and Johnson joining Bennell and Sandi in the recovery room for an extended period

Mundy and maybe Sandilands will be back this week.
Where did you get the idea that Sandilands will be back next week? Sandi definitely won't be back this week as he hasn't done any running and I saw him at training last week and he is getting around gingerly. He is a number of weeks away from playing and now that we are 0-5 there is no hurry to get him back given we are now in rebuild mode.

Last edited:
Yeah it does seem a confidence factor really at Freo,most of the same team/squad is there from last year for e.g yes you have the senior boys who are a year older & maybe could be slowing down a bit.But looking at how the team is playing this year especially since Ross' reign the team hasn't really struggled like this,just thinking maybe yes the second half of last season the team weren't playing like that blitzing start to 2015 whether that was not being able to sustain that great start to the year throughout the whole season a factor or not & whether or not also psychologically being so close so often has had some impact on the players confidence as well another reason as well?

I don't know whether it is the game plan of Ross Lyon as well & also perhaps not making more changes to the list where maybe that's what was needed?.Losing someone like Sandilands no doubt hurts like hell& you can see,there are obvious changes that are going to take place a number of players to be moved on hopefully it doesn't take too long for you guys to be back up there:thumbsu:;).

It is frustrating watching Freo, it always has been.
Watching everything other team, they kick and a player marks up the field. There always seems to be a player freeish (atleast with metres around him to mark)

We (FREO) seem to kick to packs every, single, *ing, time!

I think i only saw one instance against Carlton where we kicked it from Defense, to Med, to half forward, to the 50. 4 kicks, 4 marks.

Is it players decision making? Is it the game plan? do we have 0 open players 99% of the game?

Also, When ever we kick it up forward or up to half forward, there might be 1 or 2 defenders but 3 or 4 dockers and they all spoil the contest.

Pav, sorry to say buddy its time to go. Too often are you pushed off the contents, over run the ball or falling over. I respect why you stayed, but please make this the last season.

Barlow, can you not find a jersey that fits.. ever?

Dawson, I could handle your attitude if you actually achieved results, however you just are not savvy enough to match it down there and your attitude rubs off badly.

I have great faith in Ross Lyon and am disgusted by the hate being thrown at him. It just shows how feral we (the West) really are.. one season he's a god next season he's a devil.

Time to try new things, be creative, experiment.. If we take this years game plan into next season - we will be a joke

It is frustrating watching Freo, it always has been.
Watching everything other team, they kick and a player marks up the field. There always seems to be a player freeish (atleast with metres around him to mark)

We (FREO) seem to kick to packs every, single, ruddy, time!

I think i only saw one instance against Carlton where we kicked it from Defense, to Med, to half forward, to the 50. 4 kicks, 4 marks.

Is it players decision making? Is it the game plan? do we have 0 open players 99% of the game?

Also, When ever we kick it up forward or up to half forward, there might be 1 or 2 defenders but 3 or 4 dockers and they all spoil the contest.

Pav, sorry to say buddy its time to go. Too often are you pushed off the contents, over run the ball or falling over. I respect why you stayed, but please make this the last season.

Barlow, can you not find a jersey that fits.. ever?

Dawson, I could handle your attitude if you actually achieved results, however you just are not savvy enough to match it down there and your attitude rubs off badly.

I have great faith in Ross Lyon and am disgusted by the hate being thrown at him. It just shows how feral we (the West) really are.. one season he's a god next season he's a devil.

Time to try new things, be creative, experiment.. If we take this years game plan into next season - we will be a joke

WE have enough trolls. Mods do your job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back