Review R5: Port v Gold Coast review

Remove this Banner Ad

Who sets up the kickouts?? It's the coach. The reason port looked lost everytime they came out of defense is that we have all our players flooded back and noone in front of the defensive 50. Surely we can give our players some confidence against gold coast, it's not like they have any marking forwards.If anyone doesn't have a plan b it is port because we can
never stop a team when they get on a role whether it be collingwood, richmond or gold coast!! Also how can we win a game when cam hitchcock is our CHF he played there for a majority of the game. If matty stays we need a complete cleanout of the assistants just for more of a outside view. Primus needs to take responsibility

Re: An attempt at a review...

You know what, I just don't care. Drop rodan, sal boak, it doesn't matter. Our side doesn't care, we have hit rock bottom. In embarrassed to be a port supporter this team is pathetic. People who are positive are kidding themselves
spit-the-dummy.jpg

Broady can at least kick a goal.
Hitchcock could have won the game 3 times at least.
But ****ed up big time.
**** that skinny arse squib off.

He can?

I see Broadbent as a player who just "makes up part of the 22" right now. He has absolutely no impact on the game, positive or negative, whatsoever.

But though I agree, Hitchcock should not be in the side until he adds some meat. Didn't think he should be in the side last year, don't think he should be in the side this year. He tries hard but he is just too small to tackle players or breakthrough tackles.

He can?

I see Broadbent as a player who just "makes up part of the 22" right now. He has absolutely no impact on the game, positive or negative, whatsoever.

But though I agree, Hitchcock should not be in the side until he adds some meat. Didn't think he should be in the side last year, don't think he should be in the side this year. He tries hard but he is just too small to tackle players or breakthrough tackles.

I don't think either of them deserves his spot in the team tbh.

Hitchy, Thompson and Irons may all end up being preseason rookie sensations who amounted to nothing.

Broadbent is a token 15 touch per game midfielder, who impacts nowhere on the ground. Doesn't win any clearances, doesn't run or carry and couldn't play a defensive run-with role to save himself. He's adding nothing to a very poor midfield group.

You know what, I just don't care. Drop rodan, sal boak, it doesn't matter. Our side doesn't care, we have hit rock bottom. In embarrassed to be a port supporter this team is pathetic. People who are positive are kidding themselves

Exactly.

I find it so funny reading the Facebook comments saying "don't bag the club or players, you supporters should be ashamed" along the lines of that.

I hate these supporters, they will back the club and players to the world and back, what a ****ing joke. We are pathetic and we sure as hell deserve to be smashed by our supporters.

It's supporters who accept s**t like this that make the club medicore. There not even supporters, they are "fans"

Needs more Pettigrew, Chad and Rodan.

I love Logan to death, but today most of that 'ANZAC spirit' came from slamming into our own players.
I am another massive Logan fan, however today he spoiled our KPB's as often as he spoiled opposition players. Some of those "spoils" resulted in goals for the GCS.

I'd like to know how many times GC players got handballs away when being tackled. They kept managing to get the ball moving forward. Just bad tackling. Drops under no pressure, bad kicks missing targets, handballs missing targets, fumbling when trying to pick up the ball. just constantly turning the ball over. There there was GC players who always seemed to be free to run with ball.

There was nothing positive about this game from a team point of view.

Drops under no pressure, bad kicks missing targets, handballs missing targets, fumbling when trying to pick up the ball. just constantly turning the ball over. There there was GC players who always seemed to be free to run with ball.

There was nothing positive about this game from a team point of view.

Between Carlile and Chaplin, there must have been about 4 dropped chest marks across HB, with virtually no opponent aruond them. Those and the countless OOF in the third quarter seemed to give GC the first hints that we were ripe for the picking. They responded accordingly.

Exactly.

I find it so funny reading the Facebook comments saying "don't bag the club or players, you supporters should be ashamed" along the lines of that.

I hate these supporters, they will back the club and players to the world and back, what a ****ing joke. We are pathetic and we sure as hell deserve to be smashed by our supporters.

It's supporters who accept s**t like this that make the club medicore. There not even supporters, they are "fans"

I agree...

I used to be one of those supporters but now I still am but I will not defend our club to behavior of any supporter .....this club needs a good kick up the arse the board doesn't do it the leaders at our club do it...the only ppl left to do it is the fans

hmmm. Broadbent played a purely defensive role yesterday on Swallow and for three quarters shut him completely out of the game. He was one of the better players in the first three quarters yesterday.

Not sure what people expect from him at this point.

Yeah, not sure where the hate for Broadbent came from... One of the few players setting shepherds and actually doing team things. Was pretty useless like 80% of our team offensively, but unfairly singled out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its just so much of the same s**t. A game we are incredible favourites to win and the players take it easy. And they did take it easy. If there was a fumble count, ours would have been in the hundreds. Just about every time we went near the ball we either fumbled a ground ball or dropped a mark. Sound like a broken record but once again we just dont have the ability to stop an oppositions momentum. I dunno if the players were stuffed after last week but the clearance count must have been about 40-2 in the second half. Ive never seen a midfield comprehensively thrashed like that since probably the 07 GF, another great day in our history.

What more can you say? I could really rip into about 12 players but I just cant be ****ed anymore. Whats the point. It wont change. The piss weak attitude has gone viral right through our club and its turned it into without doubt the biggest laughing stock of a sporting club in the country by some way.
Why is it so hard for this bunch to put in a genuine 100% effort. We saw what that looks like last week for the best part of three quarters. Yesterday collectively this lot went out and gave it 80%.

Thrashed in the ruck, well beaten in the midfield and despite all of that we should have notched up a comfortable 50 point win. Instead the lack of total commitment and a series of howlers with the main culprits being Chaplin and Pittard handed this game to a side not expected to come within cooee of us on our home ground. (Actually I'll take that back because the commentators who've given us the shits by writing us off clearly had a better handle on things than us supporters). Forty points up with five minutes to play in the third quarter and we lose from there.

I don't want to hear any namby pamby statements this week I had enough of those last week:- "We're not going to take this team lightly". We're not going to have a let down after beating the Crows" "Blaah, blaah blaagh". Yeah right! :rolleyes:

Thanks boys, this goes down as one of a handful of truly shameful performances over the past five years.

End of rant.

Trying to find some positives I thought Cam O'Shea took a big step forward yesterday. Can't recall any major errors, was one of the minority that was prepared to give 100%, presented an option for team mates to kick to and disposed of the ball pretty well.

Daniel Stewart:- Best game I've seen from him. Did some genuinely good work in the ruck, chased and applied pressure pretty well and took a few big grabs. His disposal was pretty goot but a pity he missed an easy shot for goal from close range.

Daniel Motlop:- Four goals and I think three assists. Not the perfect game because he was still trying to be too clever by half on a few occasions.

Surjan, Thomas, Trengove and Logan escape serious criticism.

I will obviously keep fronting up to games week after week but please, please, please Port, could you stop breaking my heart!!! :(:(:(:(:(

One of the worst things was in the last quarter where you would have reasonably expected us to run on we stopped to a walk when the pressure came.

As soon as GC were within 4 goals you knew they sensed they could win it and the Port players just dropped their heads. There was no running between lines to create options no upfield movement.

And when we did get it out it was back to the old chestnut of trying get it over the top to Motlop one out in the F50. Everyone is awake up to that and it just doesn't work. Primus has for now abandoned his three tall forward line philosphy that was at least competitive late last year and gone back to Choco's structureless set up.

The defence was just panic central.

And we have no system in our midfield. It's just every man for himself at ball ups and stoppages. Against midfields as I saw described today as 'the worker bees of Adelaide' we can get away with that with a bit of luck with our own worker bee mids but against the truly quality players we get burnt.

For all the membership of our leadership committee (I'm expecting an invite any day now) the club has three on-field leaders - Cassisi, Brogan and Schulz. They were all missing and it showed. Too many make believe leaders at our club.

Just expect to lose every game for the next 10-35 years. That'll stop anyone from being upset when we win or lose.

It was guaranteed to happen, how could it not? We talked the talk throughout the week and look what happened. We need a ban on anyone talking to the media, or if they do, answering any questions regarding the game.

Need to go to this years draft and get ready made backmen and ruckmen... I don't care how, we just need to.

hmmm. Broadbent played a purely defensive role yesterday on Swallow and for three quarters shut him completely out of the game. He was one of the better players in the first three quarters yesterday.

Not sure what people expect from him at this point.

I don't know Macca, maybe you're right. I'm not seeing it, and if that is his role, then I just don't get it.

Let's stick with Kane as providing a very hard tag and tell him not to go chasing easy kicks or possessions.

Let Broadbent try to find his feet as an attacking player.

I commented during the matchday thread, that with 5 minutes to go in the third quarter, he started to struggle on the outer wing. It may have been soon after his heavy bump, but in any case he looked like a guy who didn't want the footy near him. He also let his opponent (Swallow) start to run forward into space for uncontested possessions.

The trouble is that all of the midfielders are well down on productivity and output. For four and a half matches this year, they have all been tracking similarly at very low possession rates. When the first quarter and a half of last week is put in the context of rds 1-3 and now rd5, it is evident that we either don't have capable players in there, or the part-time approach to Laidely's midfield coaching is producing a part-time product. Without being critical of young McMillan as assistant coach, alarm bells are starting to sound that we have taken the preparation of our midfield far too lightly this year. The loss of Cassisi has of course amplified it, but you can't tell me that between them, Boak, Salopek, Broadbent, Rodan and Gray shouldn't be accumulating at least 100 possessions and winning some clearances.

Broadbent is part of this group and is having a sustained run at AFL now. He needs some break-out games in the near future, otherwise he could earn a justifiable relegation to SANFL. I'm also astonished that anyone could ask "what more can he do?". All of our players can and should be doing a whole lot more. Broadbent was opposed to players younger and smaller than him yesterday and didn't dominate like some of his opponents.

One positive from the game was the form of O'Shea. Got to alot of ball and once again didn't drop his head even in the last. By comparison to his teammates, he seemed to have a pretty clanger-free game.

Still with thought over night, all I can come up with is that they were wrecked physically after last week. We looked tired in the 2nd quarter and were running on the spot in the 3rd. In the last, we may as well have been traffic cones because literally 3/4 of our side could barely raise a canter. This in itself is a ridiculous problem to have at round 5 and to me still raises questions of "what the **** did we do all pre season?"

At this point we have no real game plan, no real fitness and no players that we could have expected to improved have improved beyond a minimal amount. We would be by far teh worst team in the league in trying to get the ball outside the defensive 50. Its either a long kick to an opponent/OOF, or a short kick to the pocket followed by a long kick to an opponent/OOF.

I thought there were plenty of issues in the 2nd quarter which were hid by the fact we won the 2nd and 3rd quarters. We werent playing at all well but were still managing to sneak in goals to keep the status quo.

Im still shattered.

Player Reviews:

Hartlett - Our best and msot consistent player of the afternoon. A superb first half, he used the ball well and got it forward with class.

Chaplin - Was good in the first half, made a lot of mistakes in the second including dropped marks and kicks to opponents. Crumbles under pressure far too often.

Motlop - Our best forward on the day but still felt he could have done more. Wasted a few genuine chances to win the ball by playing for the free in the second half. I dunno, but I dont like players grinning from ear to ear whilst in the play expecting a free kick. Still, he was one of our best.

Westhoff - Was very good and is our most genuine tall forward at the moment. Great hands. Im shattered about that kick for him and hope he can regroup next week and have a ripper.

Carlile - Plays every bit like a bloke thats signed for another club. Have never in my life seen a player so consistently go up in defensive marking contests with both hands by his side like theyve been tied to his body. One of the worst halves ive seen from a key defender because when the game was on the line, he had less than zero desire to win the football. Jogging around 10 metres behind an opponent whos in his 4th match, dropped marks on his own. Horrible

Surjan - Was great in the first half on harbrow and Ablett but really fell out of the game in the scond half when moved back to defence.

Trengove - Good around the ground, but was smashed beyond recognition in the ruck.

D Stewart - One of our best. Alright around the ground and was alright in the ruck for the first three quarters.

Pittard - For me, any free pass he gets for being young have been eroded by constant turnovers and terrible mistakes with noone near him. Happy for him to stay in the side to learn, but he really shouldnt be the number 1 kick option in defence.

Boak - Started int he forward pocket and was barely seen in the midfield. Got bashed about whenever he touched it and looked half injured.

Thomas - Thought he did a fantastic job on Ablett in the first half, was ok in the third and was smashed in the last.

O'Shea - Marked improvement again on last week. Used the ball well, no errors and to me was in the top players on the ground. Seemed to enjoy playing through the midfield

Ebert - Great first quarter in the midfield. Didnt see him at all after that

Broadbent - Shut Swallow out of the game until the last quarter. Looked slow but tackled well and used the ballw ell

Salopek - Much better game than last week, despite not seeing a great deal of the ball. Another that fell away in teh last when we needed his experience

Hitchcock - I didnt think he was too bad in the first half, but he just lacks any sort of polish to make him a viable forward option at this point. Kicks nothing but helicopters and is too easily brushed off the ball

Pettigrew - Alright in the first half but was terrible after half time.

Logan - Went in hard....too hard probably and seemed to be running around in the last half like someone that had just gone 10 rounds in the ring.

Cornes - Presented ok but was well beaten for the second week in a row

Gray - Lots of flash but no substance

Rodan - Worst game hes played since the 07 GF

Davenport - Gave some zip when he came on but not enough in the last quarter when we needed some fresh legs to run out the game.

POTY VOtes:
7 - Hartlett
6 - Motlop, O'Shea
5 - Westhoff
4 - D Stewart
2 - Surjan, Trengove, Thomas, Broadbent
1 - Chaplin, Hitchcock, Pettigrew, Gray
0 - Carlile, Pittard, Boak, Ebert, Salopek, Logan, Cornes, Rodan, Davenport

Broadbent is part of this group and is having a sustained run at AFL now. He needs some break-out games in the near future, otherwise he could earn a justifiable relegation to SANFL. I'm also astonished that anyone could ask "what more can he do?". All of our players can and should be doing a whole lot more. Broadbent was opposed to players younger and smaller than him yesterday and didn't dominate like some of his opponents.

He could have done more, but ive seen about a dozen posts talking like he was a disaster, when he was given a very specific defensive role, which he probably isnt greatly suited to, and with our two best defensive mids out of the side and did an ok job until the entire team went home at 3/4 time.

I agree that he needs to improve his all round game and hes just going as an AFL player at the moment but I thought he was acceptable yesterday.

I thought Motlop was close to a 10.
I doubt any player in the league, past or present, could have done more given the lack of help he got from his team mates.

I thought Motlop was close to a 10.
I doubt any player in the league, past or present, could have done more given the lack of help he got from his team mates.
Too right i counted 7 times in the 3rd half by its self .If one of the idiots actually kicked it long to him on a one on one motlop may have had 6 to 7 goals glad he didnt leave our club he is truely or only A grader

Motlop imo was BOG for us. Good to see him finally get back to some decent form as so far this season he has exceeded my expectations

Remove this Banner Ad

Back