Review R5: Port v Gold Coast review

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly 10 years ago since the day Gold Coast got their first ever win against the Power.

How do you feel about the way things have gone since this day? What are your thoughts looking back?

How did Geelong supporters feel when our first win in the AFL was against them. Or when Fremantle’s first ever home win was against Geelong?

******* irrelevant I’m guessing and that’s how I feel now about the Suns game.

Exactly 10 years ago since the day Gold Coast got their first ever win against the Power.

How do you feel about the way things have gone since this day? What are your thoughts looking back?

Pretty good actually I had money on GC at $5+ from memory.

Id love to one day get the image of Pittard kicking into the man on the mark in the goalsquare, missing the tackle, falling over and taking out a teammate to lose us the game out of my head.

Should have delisted the campaigner then and there

I left Australia after the premiership and didn't come back until we were good again in 2013.

What is this lean period you all speak of?

Yeah, funnily enough after being the first side to ever lose to them, we now hold the longest streak in the league of having not lost to them.
That game was clearly a turning point. I can see why Gold Coast supporters would be so concerned about that result.

Screenshot_2021-04-23-11-19-35-992.jpeg

Id love to one day get the image of Pittard kicking into the man on the mark in the goalsquare, missing the tackle, falling over and taking out a teammate to lose us the game out of my head.

I said the exact same thing to my footy chat group today. Diabolical.

I wasn't on Bigfooty back then but I was at this game. Good times. God we were s**t.

You must lead an interesting, full life.

I'll never forget we always used to go to West lakes early have a punt and a few beers.
On this particular day KG came in took up a set and was drinking scotch or the like having a punt.
U couldn't help myself who you going for KG? Pooroort he said I said bullshit and sat back down.
We left 5min before kickoff just made it in time as we always did KG hadn't moved and wasn't going to.
The next wk he done a hatched job on us how we don't deserve to be in the AFL and so forth.
The *er didn't even go to the game w***er.

Lol. I was OS at the time and never saw the game. Found the footage - 3.10 in this video. Also keep watching for a fist-pumping Kenny Hinkley in the Sun's box about 30secs later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I knew we were toast when Ablett kicked a couple just before the 3/4 siren. Just had that terrible sense of doom about what was going to happen in the next 30 minutes

One grab contested marks and straight kicking from one C. Dixon ;) we even won the free kick count by a handy margin...

Had to leave at 3/4 time for reasons now lost in the mists of time. Wasn't feeling great about the game and that feeling didn't get any better as I drove home with the bloody radio on. Ineptly smashed fist on the steering wheel took a few days to heal.

Thanks for the memories :eek:

Anyone who was up the other end watching Chaplin fall over, kick the ball to the opposition, push teammates over and spoil teammates in the air would beg to differ.
And then 3 years later, Chappy actually achieved something that he couldn't achieve while playing for us - hit a Port player on the chest.

ITT: Two of the worst sides in decades play a game, one loses. Riveting stuff.

I reckon the Richmond loss (who were winless) in the monsoon at AAMI bothered me more. That and the Brisbane loss, also in a monsoon after leading by 30 odd at the last change.

ITT: Two of the worst sides in decades play a game, one loses. Riveting stuff.

I reckon the Richmond loss (who were winless) in the monsoon at AAMI bothered me more. That and the Brisbane loss, also in a monsoon after leading by 30 odd at the last change.
Me and my Dad still talk about those games whenever it looks like it is going to rain at the footy. Two of the worst footy experiences in my life. The Brisbane game was dry up to 3 qtr time, I think. We somehow managed to give up a 5 goal lead once the rain came. Freaking absurd.

Oh look. The nightmare is on youtube. It was worse than i remembered

I knew we were toast when Ablett kicked a couple just before the 3/4 siren. Just had that terrible sense of doom about what was going to happen in the next 30 minutes

Was that when Ryan McMillan was our midfield coach?

How do you not have a man on defensive goalside at a centre bounce when you’re 40 points up with a minute to go in the third quarter? From memory Dom was missing with a fractured leg (RD1 vs WCE) so we were down on grunt, experience and leadership in the guts, but FMD.

What were they doing midweek? Just smelling each other after that comeback win over the Crows?

It blew my mind then, and it blows my mind now.

Me and my Dad still talk about those games whenever it looks like it is going to rain at the footy. Two of the worst footy experiences in my life. The Brisbane game was dry up to 3 qtr time, I think. We somehow managed to give up a 5 goal lead once the rain came. Freaking absurd.

Oh look. The nightmare is on youtube. It was worse than i remembered

Was huddled under a heater with our group outside Goalkickers Bar as it was all going down, witnessing a punch-on inside that saw the loser leaking claret like a second-hand goonbag.

Dystopia.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back