Preview R6: Carlton v Bulldogs Sun 12th July 6.45PM @ Metricon - Team - Post #937

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It always starts off like that until......... :)

No one can really make a claim for any players to have been included, given we haven't seen any VFL games this season.
It must also be pretty difficult for all teams because there's little more than training form to go by.

Good for Kennedy. I do like him but not so much for him playing forward.
If we're going to play him, may it be for the midfield showing he's presented on the track.
;) hahaha - I've always always backed Kennedy/Levi/Weitering/SOJ and players of the ilk - over (ahem) different sorts....(and always will)....

Hasn't really impacted our effective speed, it's not like Philp was offering any run and carry or chase down tackling. He will, in time, but Kennedy has trimmed down and is moving well enough to impact.

******* hope he's in to play midfield though. Dump him in a pocket and it's a waste of time.
I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t play in the middle as that’s where his form is and also where we will need as many bodies as possible, really hoping he stamps himself on this game and becomes the help we need as his success in there can change our fortunes in a big way, expect Cripps to spend more time forward if it works.

Hope so. That would make sense because it looks like we'll be lacking tackle pressure across half forward.

Can't have the Dogs rebounding the ball effortlessly out of defense. Game could get ugly quickly if we don't bring the forward half pressure.

I guess you could say that if it was pouring rain it would be hard for the Dogs to rebound effortlessly with run and overlap...the game will be a slog.

In that case, our taller forwards should be able to keep up. Besides, i think the MC considers Gov a 'medium forward'...so only 2 key tall forwards Casboult/McKay and Cas will spend some time rucking. I don't think that's too top heavy.

In a rainy slogfest Kennedy should do quite well and be strong in the contest...we've also heard he's slimmed down and running better too. Fisher, being quite small and not having played much footy, could struggle in this kind of game. If we were playing under the roof at Marvel Fish would probably have been named instead.

Last edited:
Even if it does not rain during the game, it will be very dewy, especially in the second half. I hope Harry and Gov are both late outs for Fish and Polson.

Why?

We'd be so short up forward and in a rain soaked game, there will be a lot of contests and long kicks forward...if we have no aerial presence we'll get slaughtered.

Rainy games become a slogfest with lots of contests...Fish and Polson are both small and we could get pushed off the ball too easily.

Concussions come in different forms, they aren't all the same.

They may have had 'mild' concussion, compared to the heavy ones where guys get completely KO'd on the field.

But yeah, they might play but not to their usual standard which would be good for us.
Couple of good early hits will sort out there fitness, get that brain rattling around in there skull then we will know how ready they are.

Why?

We'd be so short up forward and in a rain soaked game, there will be a lot of contests and long kicks forward...if we have no aerial presence we'll get slaughtered.

Rainy games become a slogfest with lots of contests...Fish and Polson are both small and we could get pushed off the ball too easily.

Yep, need some talls in the hotspots so the rushed kicks can a) potentially be marked, and b) at least be brought to ground.

Get the ball forward and either score or force a stoppage.

Midfield needs to find a way to break even. We’ve got bigger and slower types running through there - Cripps, Ed, Setters and Kennedy. Means we need to win first possession and get it moving forward. No excuses for losing the contested ball. If they get first hands to the ball, we need to lock them down with strong pressure and tackling at the source. If they spread, our guys won’t catch them. Hoping the rain comes and slows down the game for us.

Who are the fast WB players?
Bailey Smith is the one I think of, and there’s a strong chance he’ll be a late out with concussion protocol.
McLean is quick too, and Johannisen in the backline.
Looking at the rest of their mids, unless I’m missing someone I see the following as fairly slow/one-paced players:
West
Liberatore
Hunter
Macrae
Lipinski

Not saying they’re poor players, but I’m not sure they’re as fast as their reputation might suggest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry does anyone have a readable link to the HS article just published re: how we manufactured the jack Martin deal? Cheers

Hmmmmm.....

By my calculations we have named:

2 players under 22yo
9 mid aged journeymen
3 blokes almost down the other side of the mountain

Is this what the rebuild has come too?

I'm content to keep watching and evaluating(what else can i do), but i'm starting to get more and more concerned with selection. Not pointing fingers, because i basically not sure what is going on internally, but gotta be concerned atm. Scrape a win with that side, get belted with that side, are we really acheiving much with that side?

Can't help but have the feeling that Teague and Barker are getting a bit of tunnel vision with journeymen.

Wow!
Happy for Kennedy to come in - I honesty think his versatility is much needed.
All this talk of his improved athleticism due to recovering from his leg injuries is very encouraging, so it will be good to see.
I also wonder if he’ll be given time in the middle.
Shocked Fish didn’t get picked.

Agree let’s keep an open mind on MK , he’s been able to get his body better, he’s at least done enough to EARN a recall. I had high hopes for him when he came across, would love to be proved right

Last edited:
Hmmmmm.....

2 players under 22yo
9 mid aged journeymen

I'm content to keep watching and evaluating(what else can i do), but i'm starting to get more and more concerned with selection. Not pointing fingers, because i basically not sure what is going on internally, but gotta be concerned atm. Scrape a win with that side, get belted with that side, are we really acheiving much with that side?

Can't help but have the feeling that Teague and Barker are getting a bit of tunnel vision with journeymen.
With the next batch of rounds, apparently to be released on Monday. 4 day breaks, means that our over 27 players should have a few rest's. I would be happy to see just about every player of our's get at least one game during this period. First cab's off the rank should be Stocker, O'Brien, TDK, and maybe Owies.

It feels like one of those games that we'll learn more from a loss than for a win.

What's the idea of Kennedy, given the squad named?
So far this year we've mostly employed Cripps and ECurnow in the centre and then sprinkled in the likes of Setterfield, Cuningham, Murphy and Martin.
So how does Kennedy fit into the midfield from the get-go.......he doesn't........so it's forward, right?

I don't know. It all seems so very unbalanced and especially so given the prediction of a wet night.

I'm not sure what we can take out of this match, win, lose or draw. It just feels odd.

It might help that he can stick a tackle?

Hmmmmm.....

2 players under 22yo
9 mid aged journeymen

Have to agree to an extent, although we've had injuries to those out of the side. Kennedy is getting a chance. Philp has had a go. Dow has had a go but we must persist. LOB ... no idea what he has to do to get back. Same with Stocker.

I'm not sure who is missing out really, but the age vs talent profile is a little ho hum.

Hopefully, we will ring the changes as we attempt to cram extra games in.

Agree let’s keep an open mind on MK , he’s been able to get his body better, he’s certainly at least done enough to EARN a recall. I had high hopes for him when he came across, would love to be proved right
I also have always had high hopes for Bam Bam. Has had a rotten run with injuries. Seems like he has his body right and with the rains coming, his time is now.

I also have always had high hopes for Bam Bam. Has had a rotten run with injuries. Seems like he has his body right and with the rains coming, his time is now.
Re the wet, just wish I hadn’t seen him stink it up v Bombers last year on a dud wet day, but then again he had plenty of mates. He does seem made for the wet though, big unit

Who are the fast WB players?
Bailey Smith is the one I think of, and there’s a strong chance he’ll be a late out with concussion protocol.
McLean is quick too, and Johannisen in the backline.
Looking at the rest of their mids, unless I’m missing someone I see the following as fairly slow/one-paced players:
West
Liberatore
Hunter
Macrae
Lipinski

Not saying they’re poor players, but I’m not sure they’re as fast as their reputation might suggest.
Certainly not the fastest team in the competition. Suspect we see Bont, Macrae, Libba, Smith and McLean go through the middle. Maybe Hunter and Lipinski but they’re more likely to play on the wings. I reckon each of those guys, bar maybe Libba, is quicker than each of Crippa, Ed, Setters and Kennedy. These four are some of our better tackles but, if the ball gets out of the congestion, our guys won’t be able to chase them down. Big emphasis on winning the contested ball and, if we can’t, shutting down the spread with tackling pressure.

Remember watching one of Bam Bam's early games with us, playing on the ball, and thinking how much more dangerous Cripps looked with another big mid who knew how to block to create space. Not tagging, just a smart body check at the right time to allow his teammate to get a clean clearance.

Still not sure what our best midfield mix is, but Kennedy shouldn't be written off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back