Preview R6: Carlton v Bulldogs Sun 12th July 6.45PM @ Metricon - Team - Post #937

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will be bitterly disappointed if Bam Bam doesn't play mid. All he needs to be is average speed for a mid and he's a very, very good inside mid IMO, and hopefully slimming down and some time to let his ankles heal means he's there. Excited to see how he goes!

Sorry, but based on what? He has literally zero runs on the board as an AFL mid and didn't exactly get 40 per game in the VFL last year.

He has only shown worth as a 4th forward...so far.

I hope more than anything that he becomes a star but has literally shown nothing to suggest he is a 'very very good inside mid.'.

With the next batch of rounds, apparently to be released on Monday. 4 day breaks, means that our over 27 players should have a few rest's. I would be happy to see just about every player of our's get at least one game during this period. First cab's off the rank should be Stocker, O'Brien, TDK, and maybe Owies.
Polson Moore Probably get first crack

Stocker can only assume he isn’t fit enough for 18 man zone cause absolutely everything football wise about him impressed me.

Lob: obviously fitness not issue, but newnes doing enough to hold him out. Personally I loved his finish to 2019 and would have him ahead of newnes as many others do. But hey what do we know.

The tackle and pressure stat really pisses me off. Surely the coaches bring this up each week that we’re the worst in the league? Wouldn’t that eat you up as a player? I just can’t see how or why we don’t want to bring intensity and pressure unless it’s a directive. Does anyone else think it could be a side-effect of trying to get the players to hold space? Last few years we’d have everyone in the contest and get killed on the outside. It’s very clear we’ve put work into improving this, but has it made us second guess whether to go in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think LOB is strictly a role thing. Wings are Murph, Walsh and Newnes. Murph is banned from on ball. Newnes could play back but they’re happy with the back 7.

the only way LOB gets a game is injuryto Murph/Walsh or further loss of form by Newnes.

I think LOB is strictly a role thing. Wings are Murph, Walsh and Newnes. Murph is banned from on ball. Newnes could play back but they’re happy with the back 7.

the only way LOB gets a game is injuryto Murph/Walsh or further loss of form by Newnes.

Time will tell if Teague is unwilling to drop a veteran player. LOB should be able to get a game if his upside is better than one of those veterans. Certainly kicking penetration and run is better. Murph has better smarts and ability to affect the game in clutch situations. I'm not sure where Newnes is better aside from experience and maybe a perception of being harder at it, but I'm not entirely sure the latter is that pronounced.

Newnes is getting a game because (a) they traded him in when he sooked it up for being told he wouldn’t be guaranteed getting a game at Saints and (b) because we are very conservative at selection: he’s played 150+games, doesn’t make a million mistakes etc. his game ceiling is 6/10. His game floor is 5/10.

Annoying but that’s the go. We don’t HAVE to play these guys but Teague is very conservative IMO.

Time will tell if Teague is unwilling to drop a veteran player. LOB should be able to get a game if his upside is better than one of those veterans. Certainly kicking penetration and run is better. Murph has better smarts and ability to affect the game in clutch situations. I'm not sure where Newnes is better aside from experience and maybe a perception of being harder at it, but I'm not entirely sure the latter is that pronounced.

I think the short turnarounds will force the hand of the MC and make them play these kids. My hope is that the MC will have the strength of character to keep the kids in the team (if form permits) when the veterans are fresh enough to return.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That feeling when the first thing your eye sees on the list of threads is the post match thread...

"Yeah, I've been crook all week but... I'm not *that* sick."

Going to be a good match.

Sorry, but based on what? He has literally zero runs on the board as an AFL mid and didn't exactly get 40 per game in the VFL last year.

He has only shown worth as a 4th forward...so far.

I hope more than anything that he becomes a star but has literally shown nothing to suggest he is a 'very very good inside mid.'.
To be fair he showed a little bit towards the later stages of 2018. Think he managed to get up around that 20+ disposal mark in consecutive games, including a strong performance against the hawks (29 and a goal) even though we got smashed.
We barely even played him there last year, so hopefully Teague plays him in the middle on Sunday.

Who are the fast WB players?
Bailey Smith is the one I think of, and there’s a strong chance he’ll be a late out with concussion protocol.
McLean is quick too, and Johannisen in the backline.
Looking at the rest of their mids, unless I’m missing someone I see the following as fairly slow/one-paced players:
West
Liberatore
Hunter
Macrae
Lipinski

Not saying they’re poor players, but I’m not sure they’re as fast as their reputation might suggest.
It's their ball movement that is quick. They flick around quick handballs to get it to the open man.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good luck to Kennedy, few things i really like about him is tough he has a red hot crack, attacks the contest hard, he tackles hard has really good hands and is a decent kick... Thought he could transition into a good midfielder when we got him over from GWS, he’s had a crap run with injuries for me it’s time we really need to have a much clearer idea what his midfield capabilities are we know he can play forward, so let’s find out what the kid has got ..

Surely it can’t be anything tank related, the games this year are 4 minutes per quarter shorter. If Stockers fitness is even the same level as last season, he should be able to run games out better than last season.

Four inclusions this week, still couldn’t get a gig. Something smells
Maybe his fitness levels are a result of attitude and the club aren’t going to accept poor attitude? Maybe we are trying to improve standards like great teams do? Maybe that’s why Kennedy is getting a game this week. Maybe all that’s wrong.
who knows really but it’s not that difficult to be a best 22 player for us so I’m happy enough for these guys to earn it.
it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if it is as simple as the current coaching group thinking that gifting games to lesser players is poor for a clubs culture. It’s hard to lift standards when you don’t reward players.

In Stockers case,it might be form?
could be....bit hard for us to know because there is limited viewing and reporting of the scratch matches and they cant be treated too seriously in any case due to their informal nature. must be challenging for our club though to try and give all those deserving a run and win games.

I’m not as astute at reading tactics as some on here
I really appreciate some posters observations of the game but I feel we were out coached last week
That’s not a knock on Teague in essentially still first year of coaching against a coach I rate highly
But the next 4-5 games sets up our year it will boldness in strategy and subtlety in selections to get us through
Big test for Teague as much as the team I have faith he is the right coach win or lose I hope learns a lot about our team’s strengths and weaknesses
I feel Rats minimised our strengths and accentuated our weaknesses I think Kennedy’s positioning big body will minimise his lack of speed some players can run quickly into a tackle or rushed handball but someone who absorb a tackle and release to player coming past is just or more effective
Also his accuracy in kicking for is team lifting and hopefully infectious
GO BLUES

You can’t blame the coach when players aren’t giving their all. We know what we’re capable of it’s just replicating it week in week out.

Hopefully we won’t make the same mistakes this week.

I’m predicting Eddie will have a field day tomorrow.

I think the short turnarounds will force the hand of the MC and make them play these kids. My hope is that the MC will have the strength of character to keep the kids in the team (if form permits) when the veterans are fresh enough to return.
We need to be looking at these upcoming games as more of a whole - not just focus too much on the next one.

It makes sense to play the older, harder (albeit slower) guys in the wet. The Dogs are skillful on the outside, but we can more than match them in contested stuff. They were horrendous in round 1 against the Pies when it rained just prior to the start. For some reason the roof at Marvel was left open, and I reckon it threw the Dogs out big-time. We should expect, not just hope, to beat them in the likely conditions.

Then we have the option (read, likelihood) of adding fresh, younger blokes for the Port game. That game is at 1.05pm and every chance to be a dry, fast track. We will need a different mix to compete with them, and I am sure that is already being planned for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back