Preview R6: Carlton v Bulldogs Sun 12th July 6.45PM @ Metricon - Team - Post #937

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
:carlton: v :bulldogs:

My take:

OUT: Newnes, Gibbons, Philp
IN: O'Brien, Fisher, JSOS

Newnes could not be more uninspiring with the football, and it's surely time for him to go watch some tape and discover something other than stutter stepping for 15 metres before disposing the ball. He's lost a yard and it feels like kicking it to him is sending your team's possession off to die.

Gibbons is where you send it to watch it die spectacularly. I can't recall the last time he kicked the ball inside 50 and it wasn't a turnover. I'll take a 50/50 ball at this point, let alone a kick to advantage. We just crush our forwards' spirits by giving him so many opportunities in that area, and I'm certain that the opposition now structure for it.

Philp was basically a sheepdog beyond a Joe the Goose goal. Yes, that was his role, but he had 12 pressure acts and zero tackles in the first half. Not good enough right now, and that's ok.

Have at it, I guess?

Last edited by a moderator:

SolGoodman

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
As bad as we were for most of tonight's game, I think even this sort of performance beats the Swans, I really don't rate them this year and absolutely think we should be winning this by 3+ goals.

Changes I'd make

Out - Newnes

In - Fisher

Would like to give Philp another run, had a strong finish tonight.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Give Kennedy a go also. Been dominating in the scratch matches and his fitness has improved. Just chuck him on the ball and see what he can do, it just has to be better than what we have atm. Got smashed tonight and it all started from the centre. Also our finishing is awful, and Kennedy can kick straight.

One thing is for sure, a lot of players were ordinary tonight. You can make a case for Fisher, LOB, Kennedy, Stocker, Honey, JSOS if fit, Dow if fit, and even (blergghhh) Moore coming in.

Pitto was very ordinary too and I am looking forward to DeKoning getting some real game time soon.

McKay did squat tonight.

If an experienced team is going to churn that out, we may as well pump games into young players again.

Is this game even going ahead?

We are going into a Sydney hub anyway. Depends if NSW are banning Victorian visitors.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
:carlton: v :sydney:

My take:

OUT: Newnes, Gibbons, Philp
IN: O'Brien, Fisher, JSOS

Newnes could not be more uninspiring with the football, and it's surely time for him to go watch some tape and discover something other than stutter stepping for 15 metres before disposing the ball. He's lost a yard and it feels like kicking it to him is sending your team's possession off to die.

Gibbons is where you send it to watch it die spectacularly. I can't recall the last time he kicked the ball inside 50 and it wasn't a turnover. I'll take a 50/50 ball at this point, let alone a kick to advantage. We just crush our forwards' spirits by giving him so many opportunities in that area, and I'm certain that the opposition now structure for it.

Philp was basically a sheepdog beyond a Joe the Goose goal. Yes, that was his role, but he had 12 pressure acts and zero tackles in the first half. Not good enough right now, and that's ok.

Have at it, I guess?

Adding Philp to the list of whipping boys Jim? Inspiring

DirtyLeeds

Premium Platinum
May 27, 2018
Soldiers Hill, Ballarat
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Golf handicap 16
Just not convinced with big Harry, Levi has claimed that big unit forward job, Walsh also well down this year (wouldn't drop him, and I assume he was the one to lock down Hill). Don't mind the kid Philip would keep him in for another week; Jack, Fisher and LOB/Kennedy in for Harry, Newnes and Murphy

AB_Blue

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 26, 2011
"South of the border"
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Selection for our next game should have a statement or 2 attached

SPS has been given a arm chair ride since his arrival. Stagnated IMO and needs to be dropped
I would drop one of Murphy or Simpson.
To soft and poor games from both tonight

JSOS, fisher and Kennedy are all live chances

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't see how we can continue to run SPS off HB. It isn't working defensively or offensively.

Need to move him elsewhere or drop him.

Newnes enough already.

Out: Philp, Newnes, SPS
In: Fish, Lob and JSOS

Agree, disappointment in SPS’s game, trailing behind and that kick (think he was put into the centre in last couple of minutes but no great effect).

Newnes; not baying for his demotion & he seems solid which is something we need vs either the hot or cold performers.

Setters could learn a little off Philpy and the way he attacks the ball in close.

In: J. Silvagni, M. Kennedy, L. O'Brien, Z. Fisher
Out: J. Newnes, H. McKay, S. Philp, M. Gibbons

B: L. Plowman - L. Jones - K. Simpson
HB: S. Docherty - J. Weitering - L. O'Brien
C: S. Walsh - P. Cripps - Z. Fisher
R: M. Pittonet - J. Martin - E. Curnow
HF: D. Cuningham - L. Casboult - S. Petrevski-Seton
F: E. Betts - M. McGovern - J. Silvagni
IC: M. Murphy - W. Setterfield - M. Kennedy - T. Williamson

Move SPS to the forward line. Tell him to work and run hard with Cunners and Eddie. Be attacking and aggressive at the ball and creating and working with space.

Jack plays third tall and works his way into the runners group outlined above.

Kennedy rotates into the midfield and forward line as required.

Lochie plays the role currently assigned to SPS in the backline. He will be no worse than SPS but I believe he'll play that role and make it his own. He'll work in well with Doc and Simmo. Willo swaps in and out as required there.

With Cripps, Martin, Curnow, Fisher, Walsh, O'Brien, Cunners, Murph, Setters, SPS, and Kennedy you have 11 men able to rotate in and around the midfield.

Might be a little small but I like the run that team generates and we have several who can or do play taller than their size.

Even if we win this game we will get nothing out of it. Sydney are a mickey mouse team atm

Nothing out of it?

If we win we'll get 4 points and even the ledger at 3-3.

Lots of doom and gloom around tonight but if we were asked prior to the season starting, everyone would have taken that going into round 7.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I don't see how we can continue to run SPS off HB. It isn't working defensively or offensively.

Need to move him elsewhere or drop him.

Newnes enough already.

Out: Philp, Newnes, SPS
In: Fish, Lob and JSOS
SPS had one bad quarter in round 2, and had to contend with midfield support that spent the first half doing a great impersonation of tissue paper.

Is he an ideal small defender? No. Is he holding his own, and offers intelligent use of possession? Yes.

I don't think he'll be put to better use in the midfield, because he won't tear up a wing, and he won't rip it out of a stoppage. His weaknesses remain the same from the day he was drafted, in that his speed/endurance mix doesn't feel very impactful through the middle of the ground. Florent or Simpkin might have been the pick in hindsight, but I have faith the conditioning staff can do work on him if the coaches engage their brains and seek to project who he can be as a footballer.

Give Kennedy a go also. Been dominating in the scratch matches and his fitness has improved. Just chuck him on the ball and see what he can do, it just has to be better than what we have atm. Got smashed tonight and it all started from the centre. Also our finishing is awful, and Kennedy can kick straight.
Take a closer at Kennedy's highlights from those matches, and while he looks improved, he still looks like he's running on slower turf than most players around him. Happy to see progress from him, but he's not ready yet, certainly not as a midfielder.

Adding Philp to the list of whipping boys Jim? Inspiring
"Not good enough right now, and that's ok."

Changes

Back to the tempo footy from last week, out attack at all costs

In TDK, Jack

Out Harry, Gov

SPS back to the midfield, Newnes to HB, Cuners wing

Martin to stay in the guts
Scott Clayton called, he wanted to know how you stole all of his football knowledge...

By all means, let's get some speed into the stoppages if they can actually contest, but they were being beaten down by a strength/speed combination in there, with the Saints rotating Ross, Steele and Marsh.

Did you know that tonight we had both an age and experience advantage? Over a year older and some 25 games more experienced on average, but those numbers were padded a bit by Newnes and Betts. Then there's the issue of the execution of a tactical system where Marc Murphy doesn't get to kick the ball inside 50 once, and Gibbons is allowed to do it 3 times.

The real difference between the teams was us placing people with bog average decision making and physical attributes - at least in terms of the competition - in a position where they have to make a critical play for their team. It happened for years under other coaches, and we lamented the list, and now the maturing talent is sitting in the reserves while Plodder 1 and Plodder 2 'play a role'.

If you think their physical maturity outweighs their peanut brain decisions and execution, you're completely missing the point of what maturation is supposed to be for. They're almost certainly not taking feedback properly, so they must be dropped, they must be given further and better feedback on what needs to improve, and they must work on that.

If I'd known what the club had planned for Dow, O'Brien, Stocker and Walsh, I wouldn't have just been writing some paragraphs in here on their merits and alternatives, I probably would have been yelling and gesturing directly at club staff for even thinking of drafting them only to be left to languish in the reserves or in defensive roles after 2 or more pre-seasons, while VFL stars show everyone why they're VFL stars. It's a slap in the face to the 19-23 bracket that have come into the club, clearly of excellent character, and are being weighed down by the coaches' perceived weaknesses from our football departments' analysis.

Data-driven recruitment is wonderful, in that it can highlight perceived biases and reveal new opportunities, along with the ability to more objectively analyse what you have and what you need, but Mr '50/50 dispute winner' and Mr 'Metres Gained' are not working, because they mostly nail metrics, not spoils, tackles or critical passes.

I'm done with watching the crap those two are dishing up because we're 'delighted with their pressure and example'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back