Preview R6: Carlton v Bulldogs Sun 12th July 6.45PM @ Metricon - Team - Post #937

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cripps is gonna have a game soon where he kicks 6-7
They'd have to be all from in or around the goal square, much further than that he struggles. Below average shot at goal, to kick 6-7 he'd have to have 12-15 shots, aint gonna happen. He needs to play to his strengths and grow some balls dealing with taggers.

This has been my criticism of Murphy too. When you have senior players that are conditional it doesn’t set the right example for the rest of the team, despite having the likes of Cripps, Doc, Simmo running around.

People can insert whatever excuses they like and yes he’s been a bloody good player for us over the journey, but it’s hard to impose values on the rest of the group that your senior leaders don’t live themselves.
Simmo, Murphy and Ed C have been great players for club, but its time.

Simmo, Murphy and Ed C have been great players for club, but its time.

Ed can stay. Still an important part of the midfield rotations. Can lock down as we know.
Leads by example and would be great to have around in the 2s should others go past him

Murphy won’t cop that and simmo will (should) retire

Kruz is another question all together. In our best 22 when fit l, but will he ever be for again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Why is it a poor draft? Because 3 20 year old players haven't yet cemented themselves at AFL level?

I agree with you. WAY too early to judge that or any draft since then.
Every year there are one or 2 outliers who blitz the comp and make everyone think that all others in that draft are “spuds.” Rowell this year is the perfect example. Now he looks sensational, you can see AA written all over him. That doesn’t mean that everyone else in that draft is crap. Some kids develop quicker, some are a slower to fill out and learn how their skills transition to the big league.
I have faith that Dow, LOB and TDK will be consistent fixtures in our best 22 - maybe later this year, probably next. Do I think any of them will be champions? Honestly - no. But honest reliable players are also very important.
We hit the jackpot with Walsh (despite what the moron Cornes says), but even he is struggling a tad with the increased attention and expectation after a Rising Star win.
I’d love a few ready-made rookies to lift this team to greatness - it just happens so rarely it’s no surprise we don’t have them.
Yet.

We got 2 top 10 (3 in the top 30) draft picks in 2017 and between them this year they’ve played ONE game.

Thoughts?

They still have time on their side but they're not giving me much confidence on exposed form. Not sure why Paddy has had more opportunities than the Lobster. though. Lochie by all reports has all the athletic attributes to be a great link man wingman like Gaff. His kicking technique looks sound but the ball often doesn't go where it should when he kicks it. He needs to add more aggression if he's going to make it though, I reckon. Paddy has decent enough aggression, is not bad overhead and has a nice turn of speed. He lacks finesse and endurance.

The question is do both of these blokes want to add what they need to add to their games to become the players we need them to be.

You used to live in VIC right. I notice you reference areas around Blackburn North and Doncaster. Did you live near to there?

They'd have to be all from in or around the goal square, much further than that he struggles. Below average shot at goal, to kick 6-7 he'd have to have 12-15 shots, aint gonna happen. He needs to play to his strengths and grow some balls dealing with taggers.
what?

We also need to be careful of not conceding too early. We can't have opposition coaches say 'just a put a tag on Cripps and Doc and it pulls them out of the danger zone'.
We also can't be one dimensional and be able to think on our feet if Doc and Cripps have a heavy tag on them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure he did this at the lower level

People call for young players to be elevated on the back of good performances at the lower level, then want to push them back through the revolving door

Nervous first game, improved this week and was not our worst.

Do we not reward progression, in young players in a year we were never considered a final 8 side?
Whilst I agree with your sentiment, I think Fisher should come in and Philp is the obvious “out” for him. Two games to provide a taste of what is required at senior level is good I feel. He can work on things in the practice games, I like him.... he has some weapons, I just don’t think it will be a bad thing to play him in the reserves after giving him a taste.

Great post. The writing is on the wall we need to Dust Martin Pat Cripps but do we have the midfield that can stand up for periods without him

Who said pressure acts don't count but our tackling is killing us. Isn't that what what Philp was brought in to do? The stats say no one in our team can dispossess the opposition of the ball as we are amongst the bottom few in tackles
The tackling was terrible on Thursday. We were vastly inferior, there were so many times they were able to get an effective ball away whilst being tackled compared to us was ridiculous. And that’s not even mentioning all the missed tackles.

Whilst I agree with your sentiment, I think Fisher should come in and Philp is the obvious “out” for him. Two games to provide a taste of what is required at senior level is good I feel. He can work on things in the practice games, I like him.... he has some weapons, I just don’t think it will be a bad thing to play him in the reserves after giving him a taste.

I guess it comes back to expectations

Do you want a side structured for the future, or a win at all costs in the now.

I don't think Philip was in our worst

I guess it comes back to expectations

Do you want a side structured for the future, or a win at all costs in the now.

I don't think Philip was in our worst

Agree with you.
We all saw that Philp continued with his case of the fumbles, despite the closed roof and drier conditions. It’s a very different proposition in the seniors as opposed to a 14-a-side scratch match.
That said, I thought he really improved as the game went on. He applied a lot of pressure, had some nice follow up efforts and contributed to some chains of ball movement going forward. Not world beating stuff I’ll admit, but positive signs.
He will take time to get to the level, but better in the ones than in the scratch matches.

Correct me if I am wrong, SOS also acquired Gibbons right?

Yes he did in the post season draft. Did you expect him to have a high hit rate with effective pick 90 and if you do you might be better referring to Tom Williamson. Gibbons is a good get at the pick but Carlton shouldn't have to rely on him as a prime midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back