Preview R6: Carlton v Bulldogs Sun 12th July 6.45PM @ Metricon - Team - Post #937

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
...AFL should be looking at ways to pay less free kicks rather than more, that's what the fans want.

Bevo was right in being pissed at the AFL changing an interpretation because one coach had a rant and the change resulted in a massive increase in free kicks, with again a lack of consistency across all games.

But I’m not sure you’re in the majority for wanting less free kicks, in some areas maybe, but the amount of throws, holding the man by taggers, players creeping over the mark, holding the ball and tacklers laying a tackle only to be tackled by an opposition that are just ignored does my head in a lot more than anything else.

So many of these things don’t need a rule change or interpretation change, they are against the rules as they currently are.

Bevo was right in being pissed at the AFL changing an interpretation because one coach had a rant and the change resulted in a massive increase in free kicks, with again a lack of consistency across all games.

But I’m not sure you’re in the majority for wanting less free kicks, in some areas maybe, but the amount of throws, holding the man by taggers, players creeping over the mark, holding the ball and tacklers laying a tackle only to be tackled by an opposition that are just ignored does my head in a lot more than anything else.

So many of these things don’t need a rule change or interpretation change, they are against the rules as they currently are.

If they start paying more free kicks, it’s likely some will get missed, adding to the frustration. Back to the 80s and 90s - no free kicks unless it’s blatantly obvious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would also think, given the nature of weather forecasting we might name the 3 talls on Friday and make the call if we replace one of them with an emergency an hour out from the game if the forecast still holds rather than decided 48 hours out.
Weather forecasting is terrible on the Gold Coast. I don't believe it unless I'm seeing it outside my window. Many, many times I've been promised a big exciting storm only for nothing to happen, or record high falls of rain only for the odd shower or two to fall about the place. We have mountains right by us, so the storm/rains are coming then they hit the mountains and break up leaving not much to hit the city.

Having said all that it has been quite mild this week, most lows in the mid-high teens and has been humid which is probably 5-10 degrees above average and unusually humid given winter is our dry months. I wouldn't be surprised if the week is capped of with a massive bunch of rain, which seems to align with weather report.

I think you're right, we'll need to be fairly agile with team selection this week, not ruling out late changes.

BOM predicting 10-15mm of rain on Sunday, starting from the afternoon and early evening.

I reckon we definitely see Fish in for Philp. If the forecast is correct (we can wait until game day to make this call), I reckon we also see Kennedy in for H.

I think our tall forwards are one of our biggest strengths against the Dogs, but if it buckets down I can’t see us needing all 3. The game will be played on the ground and Kennedy is, at least, a big body that is difficult to move off the ball.

On Simmo, subject to him carrying an injury, I think he plays for the next two weeks - a 10 day break and then a 7 day break. After that, the rumours are that we see a compressed fixture (potentially games happening every 4-5 days for teams) and, at that point, expect to see Simmo and others managed.
Good, then lets go with Fish, Finbar and Mooreray.

Cam polson must be a real neat guy. Something is still not right here.
totally agree. Have you all forgotten little Han's' last performances??
Meanwhile LOb? Stocker?? Kennedy?
but...horse, cart..
we don't know yet what will happen so why are we angsting all over the place?

because lockdown obviously.

Teague just guaranteed Gov’s position (subject to any last minute injury) in his press conference. If a key forward is to go, it looks to be H in the gun.

He also talked of Harry "lacking continuity with everything, his training and his playing" and that it "might just take a little bit of time" and that "while he is bringing effort we will continue to reward him and give him the opportunity to play well" - put that togther with his post game press conference statements and it seems unlikely H will be dropped.

totally agree. Have you all forgotten little Han's' last performances??
Meanwhile LOb? Stocker?? Kennedy?
but...horse, cart..
we don't know yet what will happen so why are we angsting all over the place?

because lockdown obviously.

Now this might be a crazy thought but is it possible a 4th year player in an elite training environment may have improved in the 15 months since we last saw him at the level? Especially given the change of roles.

If this isn't the case what are we doing as a club?

Now this might be a crazy thought but is it possible a 4th year player in an elite training environment may have improved in the 15 months since we last saw him at the level? Especially given the change of roles.

If this isn't the case what are we doing as a club?

It's Polson last stop, before being moved on.

I don't think that's a criticism as much as it's likely to be a fact.
There's no room for Polson in our midfield and the forward line just isn't for him.

It is backline/negative role or bust but that's OK.
Whilst he's still in the system, you never really know.

If he is to come into the team to perform a lockdown role on Daniel, that's fine.
I also then think, maybe it's a role that could also be given to Philp. It wouldn't hurt him either.

He also talked of Harry "lacking continuity with everything, his training and his playing" and that it "might just take a little bit of time" and that "while he is bringing effort we will continue to reward him and give him the opportunity to play well" - put that togther with his post game press conference statements and it seems unlikely H will be dropped.
Yeah agreed. He did sound fairly supportive of H. All we really know is that, if they move away from the 3 key forwards for this week, then it will be H that goes. Wouldn’t surprise me to see this decision left until the last minute to get a proper gauge on the weather. Personally, if the conditions are ok, I’d be playing all 3 talls again. This is our number one advantage over the Dogs, as shown by H and Charlie dominating them last year. However, if it’s going to bucket down, I think Kennedy in for H is a logical move. Let’s see what happens at 5pm tonight. Very winnable game for mine.

Yeah agreed. He did sound fairly supportive of H. All we really know is that, if they move away from the 3 key forwards for this week, then it will be H that goes. Wouldn’t surprise me to see this decision left until the last minute to get a proper gauge on the weather. Personally, if the conditions are ok, I’d be playing all 3 talls again. This is our number one advantage over the Dogs, as shown by H and Charlie dominating them last year. However, if it’s going to bucket down, I think Kennedy in for H is a logical move. Let’s see what happens at 5pm tonight. Very winnable game for mine.
I'd go Newnes out for Fisher and Philp out for Kennedy and still have the 3 talls.

It's Polson last stop, before being moved on.

I don't think that's a criticism as much as it's likely to be a fact.
There's no room for Polson in our midfield and the forward line just isn't for him.

It is backline/negative role or bust but that's OK.
Whilst he's still in the system, you never really know.

If he is to come into the team to perform a lockdown role on Daniel, that's fine.
I also then think, maybe it's a role that could also be given to Philp. It wouldn't hurt him either.
I am not disputing that he is on his last chance but if the MC want to pick him he must be doing something right. If he gets a chance I hope he takes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back