Preview R6: Carlton v Bulldogs Sun 12th July 6.45PM @ Metricon - Team - Post #937

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We really need to be on at the centre bounces to give our forwards a chance...our whole game is based on trapping the ball in our forward half. So when our F50 entries and ball movement are restricted like the Saints game we look pretty terrible. And we need to find another way to rebound and transition the ball from D50 when Doc gets tagged.
I just wait for the confident kicking game where we go for it all day. Take our shots. It seems if we score HD first goal or two we keep going with it. When we hold back o red make early errors we seem to take some time to recover. If McGovern had received the push free v Wilkins in the first 2 minutes i say we would of beaten saints. One extra goal, early confidence and McGovern gets going early. Different story at 3-2. #fiveinches

The only advantage we have in this game is height - it will be a real test of skill for our midfield ( trying hard not to laugh) Doggies will run and run and run and run....if we dont tackle tackle tackle ...

not sure SOJ will be back for this one either....

I give us a < than 35% chance of winning based on last week's performance from midfield. Personally I'd love to see Docherty cop a hard tag again and see how he responds. Time for Walsh to lift and looking forward to Fisher back. 2nd game back for harry - maybe cobwebs got blown away...

yep it is our height that will work for us - if anything.

Cant wait till we get Philp with an AFL ready body. Players like Rowell might you up being great but will they have the upside. Walsh Philp Ramsay Honey and Kemp is a pretty good young group coming through. These guys will help Cripps in 1-2 years.
Lol does Rowell need any more upside? Just about the best player in the league (by coaches votes) over 5 games....in his first 5 games...absolutely astonishing. Very sad he hurt his shoulder.

Just watching players arrive to the hub from all clubs on 360. Carlton have slot of younger players, mid their players without kids or older players with older children. Apart from Casboult no one took there kids. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a father and I love my kids but I feel carlton will have less distraction in the hub than other clubs. The dogs have a heap of new borns. Bruce, Johannison and Wallis all
Under 1. That’s gonna be very tough. Of course this could all go the other way and be a sense of belief and make them play better with our players leaving family at home.

Just watching players arrive to the hub from all clubs on 360. Carlton have slot of younger players, mid their players without kids or older players with older children. Apart from Casboult no one took there kids. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a father and I love my kids but I feel carlton will have less distraction in the hub than other clubs. The dogs have a heap of new borns. Bruce, Johannison and Wallis all
Under 1. That’s gonna be very tough. Of course this could all go the other way and be a sense of belief and make them play better with our players leaving family at home.
Having family around could also enhance an individuals performance.

Apparently our season is over so we may as well not bother, mate that Hutchy on footy Classified is just a big fat bloated leach on the arse of the AFL, if you want to know how to exploit every last cent out of the AFL the leach is your man, if you want to know how a team is travelling or anything meaningful about the game don’t waste your time your better off talking to a *in house brick. Idiot

Apparently our season is over so we may as well not bother, mate that Hutchy on footy Classified is just a big fat bloated leach on the arse of the AFL, if you want to know how to exploit every last cent out of the AFL the leach is your man, if you want to know how a team is travelling or anything meaningful about the game don’t waste your time your better off talking to a fu**in house brick. Idiot
Craig "they're a long way off it" Hutchison?

Apparently our season is over so we may as well not bother, mate that Hutchy on footy Classified is just a big fat bloated leach on the arse of the AFL, if you want to know how to exploit every last cent out of the AFL the leach is your man, if you want to know how a team is travelling or anything meaningful about the game don’t waste your time your better off talking to a fu**in house brick. Idiot
you're better than this rubbish, nasty comment........

It ok we all deep down know the truth -- until the day we have opportunity to go to centre bounce with three positive midfield option (instead of one definite tagger) we can't be elite -- our forward can't take advantage of 666 our backs will be under pressure -- but we can still plan to win with what we have .. let's just keep it close so we have a chance to win..

Say what you want about Hutchy, but I didn’t have a problem with what he said. I took it that he meant we were not a contender for the Finals/flag - and as much as I wish we were, I can’t disagree with his call.
A lot would have to go right for us to even sniff the 8, and we are a long way from challenging for the flag.
While he didn’t have time to delve deeper into every team he put a line through, I certainly don’t think this means the season is a write off. Need to keep improving, get games into the kids and start getting the “cohesion” that Juddy used to always speak of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Say what you want about Hutchy, but I didn’t have a problem with what he said. I took it that he meant we were not a contender for the Finals/flag - and as much as I wish we were, I can’t disagree with his call.
A lot would have to go right for us to even sniff the 8, and we are a long way from challenging for the flag.
While he didn’t have time to delve deeper into every team he put a line through, I certainly don’t think this means the season is a write off. Need to keep improving, get games into the kids and start getting the “cohesion” that Juddy used to always speak of.

Clearly we're not winning the flag.

As for finals, I wouldn't bet on it, but I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest we can play finals in 2020.

We've won 2 games and there are plenty of winnable games ahead. Especially in a season with as many curve-balls as this one.

The only advantage we have in this game is height - it will be a real test of skill for our midfield ( trying hard not to laugh) Doggies will run and run and run and run....if we dont tackle tackle tackle ...

not sure SOJ will be back for this one either....

I give us a < than 35% chance of winning based on last week's performance from midfield. Personally I'd love to see Docherty cop a hard tag again and see how he responds. Time for Walsh to lift and looking forward to Fisher back. 2nd game back for harry - maybe cobwebs got blown away...

yep it is our height that will work for us - if anything.
It's better than that. No Marvel and we like the underdog tag.. Blues by 17pts

Spot on regarding our work rate defensively, against Cats and Dons we won the defensive running stat, last week we lost it badly, tried to move the ball to fast in attack and didn’t cover anywhere near fast enough when it turned over, the exact reverse of our wins and exactly the same as the first half to last year. This defensive running is the area we have actually turned around the most under Teague unfortunately we reverted a bit last week and we will need to get back to using speed of mind in attack this week instead of ball speed and speed of feet defensively as well as improving our structures and tightening up our press.
I saw Walsh get burnt at least 4 times in the second half by players kicking long around the boundary / turnover / deep attack for the oppo. Either players aren't looking inboard or they are coached that way. Hopefully this is addressed and corrected this week, whether it be player or coach. Felt for Walsh couple of times his opponent was on the end of it, simply because he couldn't bridge the 3 or 4 meters he had already gained on them.

Yeh that's the conundrum try and make finals to build a belief. Or put games into the youth for future success. Would not like to be in the position to make that call.
I would love to make the call.

Fish in. Philp will get his time next year, or even later in the season. But Fisher is clearly better and it's not like Fish is old.

I would love to make the call.

Fish in. Philp will get his time next year, or even later in the season. But Fisher is clearly better and it's not like Fish is old.
Has to be Fish and SPS are in the years they should be taking the next step as footballers. Ones going backwards

We can make the 8.
Where there's the will
There's the way.
We have the talent and the right coach.

Imho.

I saw Walsh get burnt at least 4 times in the second half by players kicking long around the boundary / turnover / deep attack for the oppo. Either players aren't looking inboard or they are coached that way. Hopefully this is addressed and corrected this week, whether it be player or coach. Felt for Walsh couple of times his opponent was on the end of it, simply because he couldn't bridge the 3 or 4 meters he had already gained on them.

That's Walsh's specialty - Knows exactly where to be and when. Remarkable football IQ
You're right in that, Walsh often gets overlooked for down-the-line options that aren't always the best options.
I'm half expecting Walsh to give his team-mates a bake. :)

Re. Marchbank - Exactly how long does bone-bruising take to heal?
That's some lay off for bone bruising.

Should we look at a negating role as Geary played on Doc last week? I agree Daniel is so integral to their play.
That’s where Lamb was good at shutting down a play maker, not sure who we have to do that sort of role now, Gibbo probably can’t concentrate for long enough, maybe if Philp stays in which is doubtful with Fish to come back.

That’s where Lamb was good at shutting down a play maker, not sure who we have to do that sort of role now, Gibbo probably can’t concentrate for long enough, maybe if Philp stays in which is doubtful with Fish to come back.

As if we won't have a player pull out before the game begins. :)

Philp was lucky to have remained in last week, but there was enough upside from his prior game for him to remain for this game.
Maybe he won't, but I'd happy if he does.

Unless McKay or McGovern aren't right, they'll play.
Can't see Teague pulling the rug on these two guys just yet.

Subjective and all, but what exactly is it that you don't rate?
He's not very mobile but he doesn't make up with it by being strong, so physically there's no real standout to his game. He's not a great contested mark and he doesn't split packs the way you'd like a key forward to. He doesn't really play with any fire - He's very laconic.

He can find soft spots in the zone at times but if he tightly covered he's not having much of an impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back