Prediction R6: CHANGES vs Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Whoever comes in has to split the ruck duties with Sandliands. Great to know Pearce can pinch hit in an emergency but he's way to important and in way to good form to feel comfortable asking it of him unless its like last night and covering an injury. Especially against a guy the size of NN.

The key to beating Eagles backs like McGovern, etc is move the ball quick and keep it on the ground. Putting Johnson who makes Jon Griffin seem fast in the forward line or putting him in the ruck when he can't jump would be a poor move. And he also doesn't have the pace to play on Darling or Kennedy so don't know how he can fit in but then he is one of Ross's faves.

The key to beating Eagles backs like McGovern, etc is move the ball quick and keep it on the ground. Putting Johnson who makes Jon Griffin seem fast in the forward line or putting him in the ruck when he can't jump would be a poor move. And he also doesn't have the pace to play on Darling or Kennedy so don't know how he can fit in but then he is one of Ross's faves.
I wouldn't mind dribble kick along the ground, or just drill it low. Who cares if it's not efficient, the smalls can do the work at ground level. McGovern, Hurn and Nelson are terrible below their knees, plus under pressure too. It evens it up. Anything long and high, it's over, might as well give them 5 goal head start.
Work with what we got..

Kick to grass, if the Eagles players are moving back towards our goal to collect the ball we are halfway there. It’s when they intercept and bolt forward you lose ground quickly.

Mayne to Hurn, Clive to Shepherd, Modra to dominate McGovern, Farmer 8 goals in a half against Cole or whatever spud is back there. ;)

Kick to grass, if the Eagles players are moving back towards our goal to collect the ball we are halfway there. It’s when they intercept and bolt forward you lose ground quickly.

Mayne to Hurn, Clive to Shepherd, Modra to dominate McGovern, Farmer 8 goals in a half against Cole or whatever spud is back there. ;)
We cant lose if Thornton kicks in to Spider Burton on the D50 who dish's off to McManus charging down the wing who drills it to Mayne lace out in the F50. When Mayney's in range he cant miss.

Happy with all the 22 from Saturday, so the only immediate change is a replacement for Tabs.

Is B Hill going to 100% fit & firing ?.

I'm just looking at a shuffle around of the players positions, if Brad comes in. If Brad is not available, then I'd look at bringing in a mobile player to rotate through the mix.

We will have to go around or over the Eagles defence, mobile players are the key.

When Hawthorn were at their zenith, on the rare occasions they were forced to kick under pressure, they almost invariably blasted the ball hard and low into the forward half. Made an intercept mark much less likely. Hoge was an absolute master at this.

Really need Matera to have a good game, he's been a bit quiet lately but he's lit it up on occasion in the past.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just the worst timing for Peel to have had the bye this week. We really needed to see how Cox/Apeness/Anyone tallish performed as a potential replacement for Taberner. Given they'll need to perform back-up ruck work I can't see Kersten coming in. Apeness is underdone. And with Cox apparently not setting the world on fire, perhaps it has to be Johnno to return as a forward/ruck. Unless we're prepared to throw in a Meek/Jones/Nads as a 6th debutant?

I'm keen for the thoughts of the regular Peel watchers here.

Just the worst timing for Peel to have had the bye this week. We really needed to see how Cox/Apeness/Anyone tallish performed as a potential replacement for Taberner. Given they'll need to perform back-up ruck work I can't see Kersten coming in. Apeness is underdone. And with Cox apparently not setting the world on fire, perhaps it has to be Johnno to return as a forward/ruck. Unless we're prepared to throw in a Meek/Jones/Nads as a 6th debutant?

I'm keen for the thoughts of the regular Peel watchers here.

If we go with a ruck option - I remember reading somewhere that Meek was the better one out of the lot going forward / more suited for it.

How is Jones not 1st cab off the rank? As a mature ager shouldn't he be pushing hard for a call up in Darcy's absence?

I wouldn't be against Apeness filling in for Tabs but that could just be the morbid curiosity talking - I have a feeling chucking him into an intense derby for his first game back in years is the wrong thing to do..

How is Jones not 1st cab off the rank? As a mature ager shouldn't he be pushing hard for a call up in Darcy's absence?

I wouldn't be against Apeness filling in for Tabs but that could just be the morbid curiosity talking - I have a feeling chucking him into an intense derby for his first game back in years is the wrong thing to do..

Because Jones is an average wafl player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because Jones is an average wafl player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was surprised and a little disappointed when we drafted him but thought maybe they saw something I don't (that's reasonable).

Nothing from the Peel, training or club site makes me think I was wrong. All he is doing, IMO is keeping Nads away from Peel.

Or maybe Jones is purely a stop gap for Sandi missing games. Maybe with Taberner out, it's someone else who gets a look in? Such bad timing for several of our talls to all be injured at once.

Or maybe Jones is purely a stop gap for Sandi missing games. Maybe with Taberner out, it's someone else who gets a look in? Such bad timing for several of our talls to all be injured at once.

Most of the time several of our talls are all injured at once. That’s why we carry so many on the list.

This is what I initially though he was for, but Ross doesn't seem that keen to play him so you have to wonder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back