Prediction R6: CHANGES vs Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Would prefer to keep the team as stead as possible.
If Bradley is fit put him in and out run them, have someone like Banfield chop out in the ruck a la Grigg.
if Bradley isn't fit then Cox comes in to play ruck/accountable forward on McGovern.

Ross doesn't seem that keen to play him so you have to wonder.

That is because (and I don’t mean to be harsh) Jones hasn’t cut the mustard.

He showed a bit with East Perth late last year but hasn’t gone on with it and has been disappointing. What I have seen of him he doesn’t look all that fit in terms of aerobic capacity and skinfolds.

Still has time to turn it around but needs to get peddling and quickly.

That is because (and I don’t mean to be harsh) Jones hasn’t cut the mustard.

He showed a bit with East Perth late last year but hasn’t gone on with it and has been disappointing. What I have seen of him he doesn’t look all that fit in terms of aerobic capacity and skinfolds.

Still has time to turn it around but needs to get peddling and quickly.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was delisted despite having a year left. He needs to show something soon IMO.

I am very concerned about bringing Johnson in. Especially if he goes forward.

The Eagles look slow and we look quite quick atm. McGovern looks out of sorts and very slow (possibly struggling with the wider grounds of late, Subi was like standing in a hallway for him!)

Johnson won’t be able to chase or put on any forward pressure, he can’t take contested marks and he can’t play on a key forward if A Pearce goes forward.

I think we need to either go full on mosquito or throw someone forward who can take a grab. I think the only choice is A Pearce forward (which Fyfe has hinted at). Hamling on Kennedy, Johnson to Waterman and Ryan on the big soft shell crab (darling).

A Pearce forward worries me...doesnt seem like the right move.

I like the idea of BHill coming and and just playing 1 tall less, spread and outrun them.

I could have read the article wrong but the one on our website re: Duman’s debut, sounds like he’ll retain his spot for the derby, which is great news.

Watching the weags almost go down to Carlton last weekend, it seems the high speed/high pressure game is their weakness. We need to back in a mosquito forward line and no high kicks into F50. Chaos balls and high speed.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

A Pearce forward worries me...doesnt seem like the right move.

I like the idea of BHill coming and and just playing 1 tall less, spread and outrun them.

Agree with what you say about APearce

But for me, Billy isn't really in the "rush in as soon as possible category". He's definitely one of our most important players in the long-run but as of recently he's been a bit of hit and miss with his ball use and isn't really a major requirement right now.

Unlike his brother in previous years - I'd rather have Billy rest up as much as possible and get over his niggles completely. He was up and about all pre-season and JLT, he played every game last year and since 2013 he hasn't missed a lot of games. This could be the extra rejuvenation he needs for his body and his footy.

In: Ethan Hughes, Lloyd Meek
Out: Duman (unlucky), Taberner

Won’t happen, but Meek looked good in the preseason matches opposed to Lycett.

Wish Darcy was fit.

Can't see Duman getting the boot. Played well, we won big and this season we've backed in all our youngsters for multiple games. Johnson might make it in for Tabs (hope not) but if he replaces Duman we'd be making a very contrarian move for a rebuilding team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wish Darcy was fit.
How on Earth do you have Hughes coming in for Duman?
There was no WAFL last weekend and Duman has been the better performing defender at that level this year.

Wish Darcy was fit.

How on Earth do you have Hughes coming in for Duman?
There was no WAFL last weekend and Duman has been the better performing defender at that level this year.
Thought the exact same thing when I read that and I am a massive Hughes fan. No way he gets dropped for anyone other than Johnno and even then I think he should stay in.

Bringing in Johnson as a defensive forward is basically starting the game with a 5 man forward line and expecting to kick a score. Plus McGovern will kill Johnson in the air anyhow so absolutely pointless IMO.

Bring in Cox as he competed ok as the fwd/ruck last year and I actually want to see our 2nd year players developed. Bring in Johnson for Duman at the other end as well.

Hopefully Brad Hill is ready to go. If so, then we put everything into winning the middle, getting it forward by hand or short kicks and locking it in.

Have to make the Eagles not able to run it out of their defense so easily, it is what they rely on. Ballantyne, Crowden and Matera need to be the energizer bunnies down there and tackle anything that moves.

I think we simply have to rely on Mundy filling Tabs shoes esp. the up the ground portion.

I can’t see why anyone who’d watched Duman move the ball accurately and cover the ground with pace and seem capable defensively would want Johnson back in
Yeah. I think we won’t mess with a defensive unit that’s providing lots of run and cohesion. But it does seem logical that Johnson will come in. To provide flexibility - as support to Sandi, as a tall option up forward in place of Taberner and as back up down back as required. I think they moved Johnson forward a couple of weeks ago for a bit. I much prefer him to messing with playing Pearce in the Ruck.

Yeah. I think we won’t mess with a defensive unit that’s providing lots of run and cohesion. But it does seem logical that Johnson will come in. To provide flexibility - as support to Sandi, as a tall option up forward in place of Taberner and as back up down back as required. I think they moved Johnson forward a couple of weeks ago for a bit. I much prefer him to messing with playing Pearce in the Ruck.
Duman's run and skills were impressive. His defensive work one on one, decidedly less so. E.g. One of their junk time goals he allowed a smaller opponent to clear him out of the ball drop and kick an easy goal.
I think we could have a pretty good player in Duman but he is going to need games and if we need three tall defenders to match up properly with WC he is not one of them. We have lost 5 derbies in a row. The rebuild can wait a week I think.
This is what i think we will do:
Out: Tabs (inj), Duman
In: Johnson, Kersten.

Kersten is our only experienced forward and also the best runner. I think our plan will be to switch and run from defence and spread from centre contests to allow space and time to hit forward targets with precise kicking. To at all costs avoid bombing. Cox one out against McGovern and Barras will offer us nothing.

Disclaimer: I think Kersten is not up to it and if he doesn't make it as a defender he'll be gone. But we can only play with the cards we've been dealt.

I’m going to swim against the tide here and make a bold prediction. Scott Jones to debut. He was named as one of 4 emergencies a couple of weeks ago so is clearly rated more highly by the selection panel than the BF experts. He can play forward and take on Lycett.

So, one change for me. Tabs out, Jones in.

I have a feeling one of the young guys will be rested. Not sure who though. I imagine each debutant will be on a planned pattern and will be rested after 4-6 games.

They will want the 18 year olds to have a break before they break.

Meeks/Jones in for Tabs
Young player(Bradshaw-rested) out for Johnson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back