Review R6: Port v North Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok I did not Know that. We just want a fair umpiring display, although if port took some easy opportunities in the game we may have won but this is not the first time Port have had issues with this particular umpire and if we had won I would still be unhappy with his umpiring. North played very well early and won, not trying to take any thing away from North.;)
If not for the last 7 minutes of the 1st quarter, you probably would have won, that lead kept us clear. And yeah, crappy umpiring, it's a bad enough one team gets it worse but it also makes the game unwatchable, some times it's better to just put the whistle away. Good luck for the rest of the year. :thumbsu:

You guys were raped by the umps, horrible day. But regarding the Wells incident, the ump was apologising to Wells for calling him Lindsay, that's why the bum pat. I'd post the twitter link but I can't at work. :p

If thats the reasoning then fair enough.

So it was an ""I'm sorry" bum squeeze because he couldn't tell two black dudes apart. Still doesn't explain the special treatment given to the North Melbourne Floppers.

The commentators are worse, could have sworn they called you Port Melbourne at one point. >_>
They did. They have issued a formal statement saying that they will stand at the scanners next week and pat everyone on the butt as they walk through as an apology.

So it was an ""I'm sorry" bum squeeze because he couldn't tell two black dudes apart. Still doesn't explain the special treatment given to the North Melbourne Floppers.
For such a travesty, I guess words are just not enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A pretty ugly game in all. Umpires were rubbish, but we've ranted about that enough.
Both teams were pretty sloppy at times, North were more consistently good over the 4 quarters, but Port's 20 minute burst in the second quarter was the best football of the day, and close to the best we've had this year, even if it wasn't completely reflected on the score board (5.2 to 2.2 in the second).

Petrie was the danger man up forward, taking the most marks inside 50, and kicking 3.1. Having said that, given our height depleted defence and the ease with which our mids let North deliver the ball i50 sometimes, I think Carlile did quite a good job on him, outmarking and beating him to the ball on a couple of occasions.
Boak was fantastic, another captain's game. Leading disposal getter on ground, best for clearances, equal first for inside 50s and second for rebound 50s with only 1 less than Thompson. Dropped a little in the second half with Gibson on him, but still was influential with moving the ball forward.
Hartlett is the real worrying story here. Absolutely toweled by Bastinac, no touches in the third and only 2 in the fourth, while Bastinac picked up 27 against him. Probably the player most likely to change the course of a game in our team, really needed him to stand up, especially during our fight back in the fourth quarter.
Would've liked to have seen more out of Mitchell, racked up 15 possies (at a great 86.7% efficiency) but didn't really do any damage with them. Also, he is an outside possession, run-and-carry type but no tackles with 71% game time is not on. Needs to learn to run both ways, there weren't a lot of big runs by any player, but with his speed he should have been able to harass the ball carrier a little more and laid a tackle or two, even if it didn't result in a HTB call.

Spread of goalkickers good once again for us, with 9 individuals kicking goals, and Neade and Gray unlucky not to kick multiples. Westhoff has reverted back to old form, and even after his brilliant first month, the patience is beginning to wear a little thin. Might sound harsh after 4 great games and only 2 bad but him playing in this form takes away our second tall target inside 50 and places too much of the load on Schulz. Need to figure a way to compensate up forward when he's running cold, which could be done with Lobbe but need more time to see how he develops.

Additionally, I mentioned in a previous thread a week or two ago that Ebert and Broady weren't racking up huge numbers as they weren't needed due to Boak, Hartlett, and Wines all firing. Well, today they were needed as Wines was battling well but getting a little outdone, and Hartlett went missing. Can barely remember a thing Ebert did and while Broady had a few nice passages and a very nice goal, we really needed them to lift to give us another dimension around the ground.

On the Port Adelaide Website.
3. Feeling appreciated

Umpires don’t always get the praise they deserve, but at half-time in Hobart there wouldn’t have been a Kangaroos fan in the land with a bad word to say about the men in green. The Roos were awarded 21 free kicks during the first half – against just five for the Power – in an incredibly lop-sided count. It was 28-10 at the final change and it was worse for Port when Lindsay Thomas goaled from a free kick early in the last quarter. Don’t be surprised if there’s no thank you card from Alberton at umpire training this week – even though it was Umpire Appreciation Round across the league.

Also can I ask, didn't anyone else have trouble with the broadcast.

I was struggling to view it clearly on the outside camera's, the zoomed camera's however were fine.

Just reading the stats on the AFL site, NM frees for and total frees for compared to all other clubs, interesting.
Good post on stats - too bad you didn't quote any.;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back