Preview R6 Richmond vs Sydney - Sunday 12/7 3:35pm @ The Gabba

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Yer but our backline is so versatile that our medium/talls can play on smalls. We really only have one genuine sized kpb - Balta.
And we really shouldn't need more than that for Sydney is all.

Anyway if need be Chol can float back. Grimes is Grimes. Maybe we'll see Vlas more in the guts? I think it's a like-for-like replacement of Houli.

I suggest you go back and read my post re playing RCD instead of Egg
That’s an extra mid not an extra tall 😉
Oh I see what u mean.. but egg is just a straight swap for houli. We didn’t lose any other defenders? We do rotate a defender on the bench too

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Oh I see what u mean.. but egg is just a straight swap for houli. We didn’t lose any other defenders? We do rotate a defender on the bench too
Point taken re rotating a defender of the bench but I think with Cotch Shedda and Prestia outs (Dusty playing sore)the extra midfield depth is a more pressing need than a small defender.

You can see what the selectors are trying to do with like for like with this weeks changes. But our backline is strong it’s our midfield that’s been struggling

Jul 27, 2008
wahgunyah
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Coburg, Oklahoma City Thunder
Happy with the team, pleased egg has a chance once again . Looked comfortable at the level and was a colossus during the vfl final series , we wouldn’t nave made the GF without him . Good luck boys
Well said. Egg was great in VFL finals last season. Be good to see him at this level again

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

OhhDeledio

Premiership Player
Jul 30, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I wouldn’t have gone with egg because we are carrying one too many small backs imo.
back 6 of Short -Baker- Vlaustin- Grimes- Broad- Balta is about right.
Think RCD as extra mid in wet conditions would have given us s better balance
all 6 of them cant play there 100% of the time? and we usually have houli apart of that aswell so really no difference in height

RFCGloryJC

Publicity for Ricky Nixon and the St Kilda Girl
Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Inter Milan, Real Madrid 👑
Riley wrote the AFL article last year about being constantly overlooked.
If there was any week to be selected, this was it.
Maybe there's no room at the inn.

Roksman

Premiership Player
Feb 12, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Riley wrote the AFL article last year about being constantly overlooked.
If there was any week to be selected, this was it.
Maybe there's no room at the inn.
Or maybe it would be throwing him to the wolves?

It's not the week to give him his first game on the ball when our senior onballers are out and he'd be up against serious units like Parker, Kennedy and Heeney.

Correct decision.

Point taken re rotating a defender of the bench but I think with Cotch Shedda and Prestia outs (Dusty playing sore)the extra midfield depth is a more pressing need than a small defender.

You can see what the selectors are trying to do with like for like with this weeks changes. But our backline is strong it’s our midfield that’s been struggling
Apparently dusty isn’t sore.. just been a little out of form.. I expect him to play him and graham to play more midfield time this week.

Jun 2, 2012
Ballarat
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
Garth will be delisted at season end

cant get a look in with arse injured and rance retired
We’ve got Grimes, Balta and Broad playing alongside two ruckmen and two tall forwards, we aren’t ever going to play another tall so Garth was never going to come in this week.

The standard between Garth and our next best young defender is massive (excluding Balta because he’s in the team.

Dunger

Premiership Player
Nov 28, 2008
-37.822165, 144.988143
AFL Club
Richmond
Swap Aarts from HF to Wing and Caddy from Wing to HF.

Caddy plays well as a medium forward and takea good grabs and is a decent shot on goal and he gets fired up with a couple of sausage rolls which lifts those around him.

Aarts appears to have some pace which i thought is the key pre-requisite for a wingman and an attribute that Caddy doesn't have in spades

RFCGloryJC

Publicity for Ricky Nixon and the St Kilda Girl
Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Inter Milan, Real Madrid 👑
Papley is dangerous on a HFF, pushing forward to the pocket, scoring snap opportunistic goals.
Parker and Heeney are their two other key players.
Would have selected Pickett for the Roos match, they attempt a more running style game.
See if RCD is selected next week.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
some weird changes, although I do like Egg in.

I can see our midfield getting smashed at clearances and around the stoppages. Ross would have been good to bring in.
Not against Sydney though. Their midfield is not great and they don’t have a recognised ruckman, which is why I expect us to break even there at the worst. It’s their defence that is the most challenging in my opinion. Well, specifically their defending. They have that Hawthorn, Collingwood and Port Adelaide defence strategy in getting numbers in their defensive 50 when defending. It’s been an effective tactic against us this year, so they’ll probably pick off quite a few of our entries if we just bomb it in. Gabba dimensions should help though.

Do the Dew

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2019
Stuart Dew's Gut
AFL Club
Richmond
Swap Aarts from HF to Wing and Caddy from Wing to HF.

Caddy plays well as a medium forward and takea good grabs and is a decent shot on goal and he gets fired up with a couple of sausage rolls which lifts those around him.

Aarts appears to have some pace which i thought is the key pre-requisite for a wingman and an attribute that Caddy doesn't have in spades
Caddy is surprisingly quick though - similar to Dusty. He's obviously not your Stephen Hill, fluid-type runner, but when he gets the ball his first few steps are typically very powerful and he can burst from a contest. With the shorter games, you also don't need a Gaff-like marathon runner on the wing.

Jun 16, 2020
Munted
AFL Club
Richmond
We’ve got Grimes, Balta and Broad playing alongside two ruckmen and two tall forwards, we aren’t ever going to play another tall so Garth was never going to come in this week.

The standard between Garth and our next best young defender is massive (excluding Balta because he’s in the team.
goneski

Sep 11, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Storm|V/OzCricket|NBA-P|NHL-P|V8|F1
Caddy is surprisingly quick though - similar to Dusty. He's obviously not your Stephen Hill, fluid-type runner, but when he gets the ball his first few steps are typically very powerful and he can burst from a contest. With the shorter games, you also don't need a Gaff-like marathon runner on the wing.
umm, what? he was about 10m behind Hill after they'd run 20m... these days, defensive wingers especially need to be quality runners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back