Preview R7: Changes v North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Really was a lot of people's prediction due to the fact he is probably the number 22 picked based on performance apart from the numpty mackay baggers

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
How can it be based on performance when their performances are pretty equal? Line up their seasons and they are on par.

But the fact you said probably indicates you aren't sure and are guessing.

I think this is a goodbgame for Milera to miss tbh. Keeps his street cred in tact without having to be tested in wet, windy conditions where skill will be less important than contested footy.

The anti-Mackay brigade should be happy too. Unlikely he will cover himself in glory today. I think a poor game from him is on the cards. But we will see.

I know it's likely to be wet and that he's been out of the North side (injured?) but I'm glad that Preuss isn't playing. Think he's been revelation and would have thrown his body around and done a bit of damage today especially in wet conditions

I know it's likely to be wet and that he's been out of the North side (injured?) but I'm glad that Preuss isn't playing. Think he's been revelation and would have thrown his body around and done a bit of damage today especially in wet conditions
Think he would have been a big advantage for them. Would thoroughly beat Jenkins/Otten in the ruck and be a headache for a defender up forward.

Not injured, absolutely dominated in the VFL last week against the Essendon 2's. Think North have a dilemma coming up because Pruess is definitely a top AFL quality Ruckman.....reckon every chance Goldstein at his age goes on the trade table at the end of this season.

According to vadar I mean these droppers he has played 6 games too many this season
Otten has been playing well, we've been playing well with Otten - same arguments could have been made for Thommo the last couple of years, doesn't mean we couldn't be better off without them.

notice the crickets from the Thommo camp now we've had a taste of life without him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hungover again? That was Pyke was it not? I was talking about people attacking Campos selection as head coach. Best wait till you're thinking clearly again

You responded to my post regarding the time that selection cost us a game. You reference games that weren't nearly relevant. It was a simple statement. We should have learned that games can be lost at selection. It has happened, round 1 last year. Did selection affect mindset? Wow, good question, not sure, what do you think?

Agree completely, I think a lot of Richmond's run and drive in the first quarter came from the HBF and we looked a bit top heavy so our pressure was low. A-grade teams like bulldogs and GWS would expose this more - one of Ottens or Jenkins out. Preferably Knight in if fit, otherwise Menzel.

However I don't think there will be any changes unless Knight is fit.

I still want a better ball mover to replace Kelly (although defensively Kelly is very good). Vague on Adelaide website about Seedsman - anyone got any ideas when he will be back?

Not injured, absolutely dominated in the VFL last week against the Essendon 2's. Think North have a dilemma coming up because Pruess is definitely a top AFL quality Ruckman.....reckon every chance Goldstein at his age goes on the trade table at the end of this season.

I wish he was still in the side, putting Ben Brown into the ruck with a history of knee issues is worrying. Preuss had a lazy 64 hitouts in the VFL on the weekend, was also very physical, almost killed an opposition player in a tackle.

Will be interesting to see what we do, Preuss should definitely be seen as the priority going forwards. Goldstein was asked in an interview how he felt about being part of a trade for Josh Kelly, he didn't dismiss the possibility despite being contracted until the end of 2019.

We pushed Hale and McIntosh out of the side/club to make room for Goldy when he was young and it was his time to take over the reigns, I think if it is his turn he will move if a reasonable offer/opportunity is on the table. It is curious that GWS has already contacted our club and said they aren't keen on any of our players, if that deal does happen then we would have to find the right fit for him, some other side that lacks a good quality ruckman that thinks they are or could contend. It will be interesting to see how things pan out, especially if Kelly decides to stay at GWS.

I wish he was still in the side, putting Ben Brown into the ruck with a history of knee issues is worrying. Preuss had a lazy 64 hitouts in the VFL on the weekend, was also very physical, almost killed an opposition player in a tackle.

Will be interesting to see what we do, Preuss should definitely be seen as the priority going forwards. Goldstein was asked in an interview how he felt about being part of a trade for Josh Kelly, he didn't dismiss the possibility despite being contracted until the end of 2019.

We pushed Hale and McIntosh out of the side/club to make room for Goldy when he was young and it was his time to take over the reigns, I think if it is his turn he will move if a reasonable offer/opportunity is on the table. It is curious that GWS has already contacted our club and said they aren't keen on any of our players, if that deal does happen then we would have to find the right fit for him, some other side that lacks a good quality ruckman that thinks they are or could contend. It will be interesting to see how things pan out, especially if Kelly decides to stay at GWS.
I think you're right - he appears to be a gun in waiting and the heir apparent to Goldstein. Wasn't there a late rumour in trade last year that Goldstein was potentially moving West?

So you do have a dilemma at the end of the season but also during this season as you appeared on the weekend to find a formula up forward (Waite, Brown and Wood) that worked and having a resting ruckman up there as well (assuming you were to play both Goldy and Preuss) would seem to make you top heavy. So I'm not sure what's gonna give - maybe you just bank on one of those three forwards being out each week (like Waite suspended) and you find room for two rucks.

I think you're right - he appears to be a gun in waiting and the heir apparent to Goldstein. Wasn't there a late rumour in trade last year that Goldstein was potentially moving West?

Yeah, there were rumours but hard to tell how credible, there have been rumours of him being traded almost every year, contract or no contract. I don't know his personal life that intimately but I think he has split with his wife and he has kids, not sure how mobile that allows him to be if that is true.

I didn't buy too much into rumours previously because Daw has struggled to string two games in a row and despite the signs of talent with Preuss last year, he still seemed a long way off. He had a big pre-season, was great in the JLT and has played a few games this season (was the sole ruckman against Geelong when Goldy was injured) so now it seems he is far closer to being able to hold down a #1 ruck position.

So you do have a dilemma at the end of the season but also during this season as you appeared on the weekend to find a formula up forward (Waite, Brown and Wood) that worked and having a resting ruckman up there as well (assuming you were to play both Goldy and Preuss) would seem to make you top heavy. So I'm not sure what's gonna give - maybe you just bank on one of those three forwards being out each week (like Waite suspended) and you find room for two rucks.

Yeah, structure is important, that was the first game we have had Brown, Waite and Wood. Waite has only played 2 games (going to miss another one now), Wood has only played 3, Garner 5, Higgins 6 while Brown and Turner have been here for all 7. I think that is our preferred starting 6 now that LT seems to have shot his career in the foot with an effective 5 week ban in the VFL.

I still think there is scope for us to play with Preuss on the pine and use Preuss/Goldy to pinch hit forward a bit and share the ruck load. We lost Wagner early in the game and we still had plenty of run, I don't think we really needed the extra running player as Cunnington only had 78% ToG, McDonald 79%, Dumont 74% and Anderson 74%. There are only so many mids you can give time to.

Our problem is when you look at our starting 18 and who ends up starting on the pine, there are critical players on the pine and we just can't give enough time to so many running players.

It will be interesting to see how we structure the side going forwards. Whatever happens with Preuss this year, there must be some kind of future blueprint that the club has with him as the #1 ruckman going forward, if there isn't I doubt we will be holding on to him for very long.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back