Review R7 - Port ate all the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Marshall’s problem is the focus he is getting as the main tall forward. He might develop into a player who can deal with that attention but he’s not there at the moment. He needs someone else next to him, demanding attention.

We haven't got the skeleton of a forward line that we want to persist with in the future. At the moment we're biding time until Dixon comes back as the main focal point and he himself gets manhandled.

Ken doesn't want two key forwards. He'll have Marshall getting pummelled with makeshift support from rucks and smalls and he'll persist to the death while Frampton rots.

He shortened Schulz's career by not giving him support, Dixon was expected to do it all and run cross country and he'll do the same to Marshall.

Ebert as a medium-forward who can run with an opposition rebounding defender all day = yes.

Ebert as the third (but really second since Marshall and Ryder/Lycett struggle) tall forward = no.

We are missing Dixon sorely, our whole forward structure is ****** without a gorilla KPF to allow Lycett/Ryder to play second tall as a resting ruck and Marshall to play as a third tall and not get monstered by the oppositions best KPD. Play Frampton for god's sake it's obvious.

That being said, how the **** do you expect an already dysfunctional forward-line at best to function when our midfield gets ******* pantsed. Wines, SPP, Drew all poor, Rockliff copped a hard tag, Boak played alright only in comparison. The balance and dynamic clearly isn't right and if a group of full-time AFL coaches can't realise that then we're ******.

And can anybody explain why we kick to Sam Gray in the forward line like he is a 200cm giant? Infuriating
Because Gray runs hard to make position and to get to the fall of the ball like none of our other forwards do.
Lols at those blaming flankers & wingers for this loss. We lost it in the middle.

Tredders said his kicking efficiency was 11%!!!!!!!
We've lost a lot since Ollie returned to the midfield, partly because it pushed Drew out to the wing where he's not suited. He uses the ball by hand & by foot so much better. If Ollie doesn't improve his disposal, he's on shaky ground.

Apologies for the intrusion..
Commiserations on the result- watching as a neutral it really was even after quarter time so i respected the response from the majority, especially the younger crop (& Boak, who I thought willed you guys into the contest in the 2nd quarter). Against the pies midfield you need guys prepared to work hard to spread when you have the ball and work hard to push back defensively.. It seemed a few were flat footed really early, and that’s all Collingwood needed to get the jump. Addressed after quarter time but it was a strange start. For a young group that will be a really good example to review on how to halt momentum which is really really hard to do in the game today.

What I came on here today was to comment on Duursma- watched him really closely tonight. I really liked his game, reminded me a lot of Whitfield in the way he runs and his skills. Runs both ways and prepared to run at the ball which is something that bodes really well in a 1st year player. I think he’s going to be a terrific hard running, damaging wingman, one of the best from his draft. Playing on Sidebottom would have been a terrific learning curve.

All the best for the rest of the year. I still think you guys are very much in contention this year.

Remember,

• Video games and being unable/unwilling to defend = ruthlessly traded

• Wakeboarding and being unable to execute basic skills and unwilling to lead = Megadeal & captaincy

Our young lads are doing very well.
They came up a bloody good team.

Cut them some slack.

We got off to a slow start and that killed us. Otherwise we were "ok".

Wines on the other hand. Boy oh Boy. He's been horrible. With the ball and decision making.

Once again our footskills are horrendous.

But I'd like to see Amon out for Farrell.
Nobody is having a go at our younger players?

Bonner was an absolute disgrace last night. If I was his coach he’d be close to never playing again with that gutless performance. Unforgivable. You always have a choice to go hard at the contest or not, and he continues to squib contests.
I actually don’t even know why he’s playing, he has no real weapons and he’s a defensive liabilty. Lonie-esque.

DBJs first quarter was one of the worst quarters I’ve seen by a defender in the AFL era. Horrendous.

Lycetts worst game for us by a mile. Has credit points at least.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People are having at go at the team in general and most of those frustrations are regarding our supposed leaders.
There's alot hammering drew for being slow, butters for being quiet.

But yes. The likes of wines need to stand up

Did our mids get too used to playing to a winning ruckman?

Seemed to me our mids tried to make space in that first quarter with the expectation they would receive the tap and it left the Collingwood mids with space when the tap went to them.

So many melts in this thread I feel like I am at subway. We have a young team lacking experience in key areas, unfortunately these kind of games will happen as the kids will run hot and cold, particular of some of our leadership group are having a bad day. First quarter was comical Ruck -> midfield -> to defence and everything fell their way. Much better afterwards, particularly second quarter. Missing Jonas and Watts, as well as Robbie’s midfield experience. Still a good chance to beat crows next week if we can sort out a few defensive issues and Ollie and Rockliff lift in particular. Marvel really is a shithole of a stadium, time to rebuild it.

I don’t blame the kids I blame the leaders.... time and again

They try hard but do t deliver when it matters. Is that what we’ve come to accepting or tolerate they tried hard

There's alot hammering drew for being slow, butters for being quiet.

But yes. The likes of wines need to stand up

They’re not being ‘hammered’ though, it is what it is. Butters either needs a week’s rest or a spell with the Maggies.

Rockliff and his albatross of a contract need to be shipped to Royal Antwerp so Drew can do what he does best and develop so we can get on with executing this random rebuild properly.

I have a theory why Wines handpassed to so many Collingwood players. They have been training with prison bar jumpers and he got confused. All is forgiven Ollie...vindicated

Meanwhile, O’Meara is currently dominating for the Hawks. With two bionic knees.

It’s a funny old game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back