Review R7 - Port ate all the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

He knew how bad it was. He did a smart play by taking himself off and having a "reset". I'm sure he had rotated through all his affirmations and self speak earlier to will himself upwards. Which did not work for whatever reason

We do have some very mentally weak players out there. I put Dixon, westhoff and Marshall into that class. I don't yet see mentally weak by wines. We don't know if he actually does have any issues with his shoulder (are people here just suggesting he is because he is playing all poorly and can't stick a tackle?)

This next few weeks will show his mental state...after the obligatory gut busts he will naturally be showing this and next game.

There was a post earlier by someone who saw Ollie today in a moon boot probs explains things & I recon his shoulder is giving him pain. I honestly don’t know I guess we’ll find out more in coming weeks.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sorry people, but I didn’t even watch it. I was playing Mortal Kombat 11 at a friend’s house. I was keeping an eye on the scores though.

Why didn’t I watch it? Because I knew without Dixon we would lose. I knew if we didn’t have Hartlett and Broadbent in the side, we’d lose. I knew if we didn’t have Gray, we’d lose. If it was the MCG it might have been a different story, but Marvel is more like Adelaide Oval.

The only way we could have won is if everyone had great games and our defenders like Bonner and Byrne-Jones suddenly became great defenders instead of great pretenders. That’s why I said it was their time. Instead, they gave Collingwood their highest amount of forward half intercepts.

Bonner doesn’t have it. I already said he reminds me of Lonie. It makes me mad every time someone suggests putting him somewhere else on the field - you can’t hide softness.

Byrne-Jones is crap at anything resembling team defence. Great lockdown defender if all he has to do is tag them out of the game, but when it comes to helping others he’s poor. A typical +1 type player.

The reaction to such an obliteration will be the telling part. There has to be a price paid for that poor start. Bringing in Garner and Jonas for Byrne-Jones and Bonner would be a great start.
I don't believe you weren't watching. But maybe you are smarter than us and didn't.

DBJ and Bonner were and are the least of our problems

Perhaps you should check the heatmaps ;)
If so many players are in the middle it doesn't mean a player played as a midfielder. We push up so far half of Dixon's possessions might be on a wing. But he isn't a wing

The Port I grew up watching would come out firing a week after a disappointing loss. But not this team, plus we’re playing at home. We’ve turned a home ground advantage into a home ground disadvantage
Back then a team had more older players. Mid to late 20s. They had kids. A job. There was pride with team mates, pride to play for a club bigger than you. You had to go to the clubrooms after each game and be accountable

Today, franchises, Instagram. Endorsements and so on. The pressure from the club just isn't there. Looking the boot strapped in the eye, etc.

Just a different game. Millionaires basically

Last edited:
Back then a team had more older players. Mid to late 20s. They had kids. A job. There was price with team mates, pride to play for a club bigger than you.

Today, franchises, Instagram. Endorsements and so on. The pressure from the club just isn't there. Looking the boot strapped in the eye, etc.

Just a different game. Millionaires basically

In a nutshell:thumbsu:

Get paid top dollar regardless of performance.

Nirvana.

Well it was all right in front of me.
Was odd. I came home and watched the game. Those who were horrific in a play at the game in some instances looked reasonable on tv, and vice versa. Was a really odd one for how bad some things were watching from the game, but the narrow view and 2 dimensional nature of the tv masked a lot of inadequacies.

As long as the coaching panel recognised it I giess5

There was a post earlier by someone who saw Ollie today in a moon boot probs explains things & I recon his shoulder is giving him pain. I honestly don’t know I guess we’ll find out more in coming weeks.

Overweight player with interrupted preseason gets weight bearing injury. I’d believe that.

******* horrifying isn't it? Its more than that because he was doing it under late Choco as well, thats how far back the rot goes.

"Oh but he got a lot of possessions", yeah well if every player ran around like a ******* Auskicker chasing the ball, maybe they would have too

Our structure has been a constant debacle since Westhoff became a fixture in our side, under three coaches. HINT ******* HINT

Nothing wrong with Westhoff as long as he floats around doing what he’s good at.

It’s why I wanted Frampton in - so we could deploy Westhoff wherever he felt he was needed. If you’re asking him to play a defined role, he’s not that sort of guy.

Nothing wrong with Westhoff as long as he floats around doing what he’s good at.

It’s why I wanted Frampton in - so we could deploy Westhoff wherever he felt he was needed. If you’re asking him to play a defined role, he’s not that sort of guy.

We all know this but these bastards running our club on fat paycheques can’t !!

Tell me what successful professional sporting team in the world, in any code of sport, lets a player do that (during the period they're successful). I'm genuinely interested.

He's not that guy, he's never been that guy, and our structure has been a constant joke the whole time. With segment line coaches how does any head coach make a resilient zone when you can be effectively one man down at any given moment - unless that just happens to be where Prince Justin deigns to play for ten minutes or so.

Its a party trick that had limited utility at best, and has absolutely zero value now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tell me what successful professional sporting team in the world, in any code of sport, lets a player do that (during the period they're successful). I'm genuinely interested.

He's not that guy, he's never been that guy, and our structure has been a constant joke the whole time. With segment line coaches how does any head coach make a resilient zone when you can be effectively one man down at any given moment - unless that just happens to be where Prince Justin deigns to play for ten minutes or so.

Its a party trick that had limited utility at best, and has absolutely zero value now.

A player that riffs on what the opposition are throwing up? Any successful QB has the ability to read plays and change what the play is after the snap depending on coverage. Wide receivers run option routes all the time.

In basketball coaches will call isolation plays that let one player do what they like one on one with a defender.

Soccer - Diego Maradona did whatever he liked on the field and he was pretty successful. The team played off of his position on the field and adjusted around him.

Having one player be that floating +1 all over the field shouldn’t be the difference between a successful zone and a failed one.

The problem comes from the fact that if you’re playing Westhoff, Ryder and Marshall forward, there’s not really anyone at midfield who can make an opposition player stop and think from a kick out. They know if they can get it over the back quickly and not allow Westhoff to drop back to the wing, he’ll be caught in no man’s land.

If we played Frampton, it would have kept Westhoff in the midfield more and he would have only pushed forward with them. So instead of trying to cover three areas of the ground, he would have been in two, and could have swapped with Marshall when he needed a rest. This would have stopped that quick transition that Collingwood had.

I can’t shake the image of our ‘captain’ running into goal, 35 metres out, and launching a blind handball 20 metres to his left to the opposition.
Yep, that's when I turned it off. Just couldn't sit through anymore (me and ulcers don't mix).

Just utter disbelief... this is a bloke who's been anointed co-captain - he's been in the system 6 years... he should be relishing a situation like that to take it upon himself and lead the boys by example...

Instead he shat the bed.

Harsh? Maybe... but it needs to be called out for what it was. I hope he can turn it around. It's all about what he does on the field now.

Yep, that's when I turned it off. Just couldn't sit through anymore (me and ulcers don't mix).

Just utter disbelief... this is a bloke who's been anointed co-captain - he's been in the system 6 years... he should be relishing a situation like that to take it upon himself and lead the boys by example...

Instead he shat the bed.

Harsh? Maybe... but it needs to be called out for what it was. I hope he can turn it around. It's all about what he does on the field now.
If he is wearing a moon boot today perhaps there was an issue with his foot?

Not my expertise but should there be heat Ian Mckeown?. I just feel like we need an actual AFL fitness guy and not some soccer/Burgess protege.

A player that riffs on what the opposition are throwing up? Any successful QB has the ability to read plays and change what the play is after the snap depending on coverage. Wide receivers run option routes all the time.
And when does a QB decide mid-game that he's a nose tackle, or the wide receiver decide he's a safety? And on his own?

In basketball coaches will call isolation plays that let one player do what they like one on one with a defender.
Not relevant to what Westhoff does, given he'd have to stick with one opponent to do that. Thats more a Kane Cornes thing.

Soccer - Diego Maradona did whatever he liked on the field and he was pretty successful. The team played off of his position on the field and adjusted around him.
Haha, the idea of Westhoff as our Maradona is...yeah, wow, suddenly it would put everything at our club into perspective, and just how ******* doomed it is.

Just one of many important differences - Maradona could kick goals.

Having one player be that floating +1 all over the field shouldn’t be the difference between a successful zone and a failed one.
And yet.

And when does a QB decide mid-game that he's a nose tackle, or the wide receiver decide he's a safety? And on his own?

Not relevant to what Westhoff does, given he'd have to stick with one opponent to do that. Thats more a Kane Cornes thing.

Haha, the idea of Westhoff as our Maradona is...yeah, wow, suddenly it would put everything at our club into perspective, and just how ******* doomed it is.

Just one of many important differences - Maradona could kick goals.

And yet.

A QB can decide on the fly that he's a RB.

What I'm saying is, you have a player that has the ability to play multiple positions pretty good, but not great. You can either not play him at all, or you can harness those strengths. To use the NFL example - if you've got a RB who can easily play in the slot, why wouldn't you run schemes where you play-action and fake the hand off to said RB and then utilise that ability to pass to him wide open in the slot?

Wines is a mentally shot captain. Running into goal and deciding to handball into space isn’t leadership.
Was there a Collingwood player that would have been a good chance to smoother if Ollie had gone with a kick? I skipped through the game this morning but then deleted it. I wish I watched this play a few more times. Bruce was saying Ollie defo should have kicked it.

Was there a Collingwood player that would have been a good chance to smoother if Ollie had gone with a kick? I skipped through the game this morning but then deleted it. I wish I watched this play a few more times. Bruce was saying Ollie defo should have kicked it.

There wasn’t. But even if there was, you kick the ball surely rather than handball to no one?

His confidence in his kicking is shot to pieces and he’s our captain. It’s somewhat tragic.

The clubs lack of focus on skills, retaining skilled players and recruiting skilled players is a travesty for fans.

He looks slimmer than in past years to me
Does he? He still looks a lot bigger than the 89kgs the club has him listed at.

Look at the photo of him and Rockliff chairing off Boak last night. Look at Wines compared to Pep, Cripps, Kennedy, or Fyfe.

You don't have to be built like Fuifui Moimoi to be an explosive midfield bull. Wines could stand to lose 5-8kg, and I think his body and the fans would thank him for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back