Review R7 - Port ate all the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

I dislike Bonner for different reasons to Janus, primarily that he completely lacks awareness and is as much a bombscare as Adam Kingsley ever was.

I don't think he backs out of contest for being soft, but because he gets lost in decision making, and thats why he looks OK on the outside.

See, I thought this was the case last year - that he was being timid and indecisive.

But when you see him run a million miles an hour at a contest because he thinks he can get an easy hard ball get stat with a ball that is spilling out from it, and said ball then gets whipped out to the opponent Bonner left on his own...it becomes less about being indecisive and more about thinking about what is going to make his own stats look good for his agent when negotiating a new contract.

That's the only reason I can think of why he actually took a bounce in a back pocket. He's all about his stats. He has to be.

I’m thinking the coaches are playing Bonner when they really shouldn’t be because they’re punting on it all clicking for him. Thing is he’s shown glimpses here and there but not when the heat is on. Maybe he is better suited as a receiver.

I’m thinking the coaches are playing Bonner when they really shouldn’t be because they’re punting on it all clicking for him. Thing is he’s shown glimpses here and there but not when the heat is on. Maybe he is better suited as a receiver.

There comes a time when a player needs to be dropped to reserves for it to click, because the speed at which AFL is played makes them lose confidence in their ability.

We've seen him play to the standard, so it's not like he can't do it.

The way I see it is there are a handful of non negotiables in football - and one of them is putting your body on the line for the team when it's your turn to do so. Bonner has failed this test too often, particularly this year. The way he played on Friday night was simply unacceptable. Leaving aside everything he is or isn't doing with ball in hand, you just can't play like that and expect ongoing selection in an AFL side. He'll be dropped this week and it'll be deserved.

The way Janus posts about Bonner now reminds me of the way he posted about Houston this time last year.
Who was it that said during the JLT that Clurey is not going to be in our best 22 this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back