Votes: 11 5.8%
  • 50: Marlion Pickett

Votes: 21 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sticking our tackles might go a long way to helping with that.

and stop running way past the oppo player on one side while they easily turn the opposite way and then push forward. did it about 30 times last night before i turned off

first game i have properly turned off (late in the 3rd) and not followed the rest of the game since swan 2016. the turnovers and dropped marks were disgusting I couldn't deal with it any more was gonna melt into a puddle or have a heart attack one or th other. all our other losses i could deal with but our skills were worse than I could dish up last night just pure trash

Between now and finals if we get there, the following players need to come into the team. there is the obvious 4 Prestia, Lambert, Cotchin and Grimes.

Imo we need a second ruck/fwd it really is time to give CC-J a block of games and find out where he is at.

The loss of Grimes has shown the need to get games into one of the tall defenders as well. Gunna be in a world of pain if we lose one of the big kpd's.But whoo?. Can Grimes play small and we play Balta with his athleticism as a third tall allowing say Miller to get a game as a shut down Kpd.

The three small fwds have collectively been poor its at least two too many. Simply prefer we play Bolton Stack Baker Lambert and Edwards thru there. would really like to see Hugo come in on a wing instead of McIntosh it won't happen so i wont do it.

If we get all our players back and we decide to get some games into younger blokes as we go im asking myself who the outs should be.

For me the team by seasons end could go something like this.

B/ Mansell - Astbury - Grimes
HB/Vlastuin - Balta - Broad

C/ McIntosh - Cotchin - Pickett
R/ Nankervis - Martin - Prestia

HF/ Baker - Lynch - Ralphsmith
FF/ CC-J - Riewoldt - Bolton

INT from/ Lambert - Edwards - RC-D - Short - Graham - Ross- Stack - Miller.

Can we win a flag with the 25 players mentioned. If we get em back quick enough and they then stay fit then yes.

For me this season more the previous ones we are carrying to many passengers way to many the smalls up forward are non existent.

I feel like we're waiting for it to come good , but we need to involve to static for me change it up the forward line.Introduce CCJ a another tall target kids been in good form swapping with Nank like we did when we introduced Soldo it changed our dynamics and will help Jack and Tom getting double teamed.Change up the smalls to many getting repeated chances.

Brain fades and poor decisions cost us a few games this year when we had momentum which has be uncharacteristic last 4 years.

ccj been doing well at vfl level i thought, hardwick even said it in one of his pressers.
we've just become obsessed with playing pickett as a ruck, like yeah its funny to watch him jump on campaigners but we'd be better to have a proper second ruck.
everyone can settle in their actual positions balta/astbury/pickett plus nank gets a chop out so he can be used forward/back and taking some of the pressure off our key positions.
nanks doing well this year but he will be burnt out by finals if we keep going at this rate.

Yep exactly and back when we introduced a second ruck Soldo with Nank one was pushing forward we looked great and opened teams up.

For me this season more the previous ones we are carrying to many passengers way to many the smalls up forward are non existent.

I feel like we're waiting for it to come good , but we need to involve to static for me change it up the forward line.Introduce CCJ a another tall target kids been in good form swapping with Nank like we did when we introduced Soldo it changed our dynamics and will help Jack and Tom getting double teamed.Change up the smalls to many getting repeated chances.

Brain fades and poor decisions cost us a few games this year when we had momentum which has be uncharacteristic last 4 years.
We dont even have to play newbies when all are fit. the likes of Lambert Bolton, Edwards even Graham can rotate thru there.

If we want change then Ralphsmith Stack and a tall in CC-J certainly changes things up and for the better imo.

Ive read some of the this thread and take nothing way from geelong but we played sh*t, period. It happens. If we hold on with our injuries get to the bye 6-6 and the players return, we are golden

Fair point , but to static for me need to change a few things and tweaks need to involve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We dont even have to play newbies when all are fit. the likes of Lambert Bolton, Edwards even Graham can rotate thru there.

If we want change then Ralphsmith Stack and a tall in CC-J certainly changes things up and for the better imo.

2 of the players you mentioned are injured tho that's the problem.Stack can be a option not sure if fit , but is better then all our smalls and CCJ I agree.

Ive read some of the this thread and take nothing way from geelong but we played sh*t, period. It happens. If we hold on with our injuries get to the bye 6-6 and the players return, we are golden
What’s the word on Bolton??

2017 Pre Bye - lost 4 games average 21.5 points. Post Bye lost 3 games *
2018 Pre Bye - lost 3 games average 32 points. Post Bye lost 1 game
2019 Pre Bye - lost 6 games average 46 points. Post Bye lost 0 games *
2020 Pre Bye - lost 4 games average 22.5 points. Post Bye lost 0 games *

2021 Pre Bye - lost 4 games average 36 points. Played 6/8 Against sides that were in the top 6 at the time we played them. Should win 3 of the next 4 entering the bye. So we should read - lost 5 games average unknown. "Chumpion Data" suggests we have the easiest run home....

Since 2017, we have lost FOUR games in FOUR years post bye.in 2019 & 2020 we won ALL games post bye. Our most dominant season was 2019, yet it was our worst start to a season.

During the 4 years we have had rule changes, injuries to key personnel pre bye, a fit squad post bye, been written off, end of Dynasty, too slow, can't win without Rance....

Edit - We have also finished on the bottom of the "Free Kicks For" ladder in those years (or thereabouts)..

Stop stressing campaigners...

Last edited:
At least there should be no Finlayson next week. Gotta go for the late head high hit on Merrett.

first game i have properly turned off (late in the 3rd) and not followed the rest of the game since swan 2016. the turnovers and dropped marks were disgusting I couldn't deal with it any more was gonna melt into a puddle or have a heart attack one or th other. all our other losses i could deal with but our skills were worse than I could dish up last night just pure trash
I was at the game & said to my wife that we would be leaving at 3 quarter time. It was pure garbage & decided to leave early & be home before midnight for once. It's bad enough we have to put up with all these late Friday night games after school & work let alone watching them dish up the kind of crap that you would expect to see at an under 10's game (no offence to the kids).

2017 Pre Bye - lost 4 games average 21.5 points. Post Bye lost 3 games *
2018 Pre Bye - lost 3 games average 32 points. Post Bye lost 1 game
2019 Pre Bye - lost 6 games average 46 points. Post Bye lost 0 games *
2020 Pre Bye - lost 4 games average 22.5 points. Post Bye lost 0 games *

2021 Pre Bye - lost 4 games average 36 points. Played 6/8 Against sides that were in the top 6 at the time we played them. Should win 3 of the next 4 entering the bye. So we should read - lost 5 games average unknown. "Chumpion Data" suggests we have the easiest run home....

Since 2017, we have lost FOUR games in FOUR years post bye.in 2019 & 2020 we won ALL games post bye. Our most dominant season was 2019, yet it was our worst start to a season.

During the 4 years we have had rule changes, injuries to key personnel pre bye, a fit squad post bye, been written off, end of Dynasty, too slow, can't win without Rance....

Edit - We have also finished on the bottom of the "Free Kicks For" ladder in those years (or thereabouts)..

Stop stressing campaigners...
It’s the way in which we are losing that is worrying for me.

One thing noticeable on the night was that the Geelong tall defenders were rarely trying to mark the ball. Their plan was to punch it forward and for their ball carriers to slide it out of the backline. I’m not sure if our coaching staff picked up on this and instructed our small forwards to man up on these guys as they basically got a free ticket out every time. Rioli , Castagna and Aarts (apart from the second quarter) were caught flat footed too often.
Also I’m not sure after so many easy marks missed by our defenders why we didn’t adopt the same tactics.
Well this has been a issue all year

We have been reluctant to adapt to the new rule and whats required
Most teams are now going with 3 x tall's and isolating their defenders by creating space but we appear insistent on keeping our 2 tall structure
what this creates is tall defenders having time to congest the ball drop.

We are way too predictable going into our foward line as evidenced against the Dee's and again last night
We could have buried the cats by half time if our foward line functioned properly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back