Status
Not open for further replies.

lumpinee

MK ULTRA
Jul 18, 2019
across the park from commission flats
AFL Club
Richmond
Why though? It really shouldn’t, our defenders are all very good in the contest barring Houli and short, and our structures are super strong to not allow us to be opened up through the corridor which I noticed we did really well in the first half, it’s just manpower or lack thereof through the guys that hurt us yesterday
maybe Shocking and Co. know somethin us outsiders dont
Why are so many teams (including Geelong) able to kick at goal and get it so often (set shots and general play)? That’s one of the biggest differences between us and some of the higher-placed sides this year. Sydney, Melbourne and Geelong all got us this way because they were able to capitalise on inside 50s much more. They get goals from tight angles and difficult positions that we usually miss from. For whatever reason, we always seem to try and find the perfect goal. The attempt either fails or we end up going 50/50 in terms of accuracy anyway so it doesn’t end up being the perfect pathway to goal in the end.

When you’re copping it on the scoreboard, there is no point of trying to find the perfect avenue. Just kick the ball when you have it and get the goal. Put some scoreboard pressure on. That’s the main reason why we don’t have shootouts because we rely way too much on restricting the opposition to win. When our defence fails, I feel like everyone else fails as well, which is why our margins are so big when we concede a lot. Not saying to engage in shootouts every game, but we’d be losing a lot less if we engaged in a shootout whenever our defence is getting a beating like Friday. It’s the only way I feel Geelong would have doubted themselves going for goal.

If we’re wanting to win the Premiership this year, then we just have to accept that the game changed in a way that makes relying on restricting opponents alone too much of a risk. Our back 6 might not end up being as good as previous years, so we need to compensate for this. Hardwick please play CCJ so that we can stretch opposition defenders for height. I think it’ll help Riewoldt and Lynch a lot because our pressure smalls aren’t having much scoreboard impact.

TL;DR: We need to kick more goals when our defence can’t contain the opposition forwards.
nail on the head,Hardwick is obsessed in restricting the opposition and when it fails the smalls and midfield are so defensive in mindset that they
have forgotten to go for goals,its been ripped out of theyre DNA,also the getting sucked into the opposition player with the ball is obvious
as all theyre doing is handballing over the top to the loose player,our manic 2-3 players attacking theyre player with the ball is holding up now for only a
qtr n a half and we're exhausted after half time because theres not enough score on the board as we've forgotten to kick goals,every small now is a defender first and it shows,no counteracting skills,its a concern and wont get better im afraid as all bar Lynch,Reiwoldt and Martin are defenders to the core and are programmed with a defensive mindset
If im the opposition and the only players i have to worry about scoring when coming up against Richmond are the big 3 im pretty happy as the remaining 6-8 rotating mid fwds arent goal focused, in the hands of Castagna,Ross,RCD,Rioli,Aarts,Pickett,Cotchin,Graham,Short,the opposition cant go wrong at the moment as all these players have forgotten how to hunt for goals because of the outdated game plan

Last edited:
I'd fu**n lose my sh*t , absolute jet.
Same, he’s easily my favorite player outside of Richmond ones

Imagine the cult following he would get
And omg the salt levels would be at world record high

If we let toby Greene run around by himself again I’ll lose my fu**en sh*t

I know we have a system but ffs Greene is an absolute star of comp and has to be close checked by grimes imo... just blanket the little prick

although I do love the campaigner

Am an unabashed Greene fan too! Except when he plays us, the Tiges! Greene can see the game differently, not unlike Shane Edwards, he sees it a little quicker than most and seems to know the outcome before most. That said, Kelly and Taranto are in top form, Bobby Hill is Bolton-like. Be a fascinating game coming up!

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Am an unabashed Greene fan too! Except when he plays us, the Tiges! Greene can see the game differently, not unlike Shane Edwards, he sees it a little quicker than most and seems to know the outcome before most. That said, Kelly and Taranto are in top form, Bobby Hill is Bolton-like. Be a fascinating game coming up!

Taylor is a bit of a star also. Quality team. Thank Christ tigers beat them when it mattered

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United

nail on the head,Hardwick is obsessed in restricting the opposition and when it fails the smalls and midfield are so defensive in mindset that they
have forgotten to go for goals,its been ripped out of theyre DNA,also the getting sucked into the opposition player with the ball is obvious
as all theyre doing is handballing over the top to the loose player,our manic 2-3 players attacking theyre player with the ball is holding up now for only a
qtr n a half and we're exhausted after half time because theres not enough score on the board as we've forgotten to kick goals,every small now is a defender first and it shows,no counteracting skills,its a concern and wont get better im afraid as all bar Lynch,Reiwoldt and Martin are defenders to the core and are programmed with a defensive mindset
If im the opposition and the only players i have to worry about scoring when coming up against Richmond are the big 3 im pretty happy as the remaining 6-8 rotating mid fwds arent goal focused, in the hands of Castagna,Ross,RCD,Rioli,Aarts,Pickett,Cotchin,Graham,Short,the opposition cant go wrong at the moment as all these players have forgotten how to hunt for goals because of the outdated game plan
Yeah exactly. Look, no problem restricting the opponent even further when we have the game on our terms because you already have control over the scoreboard. However, I don’t think it’s wise to still put defence first when we’ve lost control of the game and our defence is getting smashed. This game is moving towards a more offensive style due to the rules and we need to adjust our mindset accordingly. We’re such a good side but I sometimes wish we cared more about scoring.

Tbh, that’s one of the reasons why I like Bolton from our mids/forwards group. Although he misses frequently, he’s literally the only player that I see consistently taking responsibility when in a scoring position and kicks at goal when appropriate. It’s why I hardly ever get pissed off at his decision-making in our forward 50 nowadays even if he misses.

Other players are looking left and right and trying to find the ‘perfect shot’ and increasing the likelihood of scoring when we’re sometimes just as likely to miss from that so-called ‘perfect’ position. Then that player kicks it straight to the opposition defender for a 12-point turnaround because the opposition took responsibility when they needed to. Rinse and repeat. We know by now that this is basically how things go when we get thrashed.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond

Tigers almost pulled off best 3rs quarter of all time game before last..

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Also, can someone talk to Dusty about his unselfishness? Unselfishness should not be a substitute for good decision-making. It’s funny because in finals he really takes on everything and doesn’t worry about focusing on dragging everyone in the game.

I just want him to be the dominant player that we know he can be and has been many times. He can drag players back into the game in the 4th quarter when we already won the game, but not in the first quarter. If he have 6 opportunities to score goals and he worked hard to get there, then I want him to take responsibility for those opportunities. If the other players around him are good enough, then their time will come.

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond
Why though? It really shouldn’t, our defenders are all very good in the contest barring Houli and short, and our structures are super strong to not allow us to be opened up through the corridor which I noticed we did really well in the first half, it’s just manpower or lack thereof through the guys that hurt us yesterday
It allows umpires interpretation to be varied on whose in what colours without huge scrutiny .
Use it against us and not others , same as this running into protected area rule , it, throwing the ball and holding the ball just don’t exist when it comes to the Shemonds and Handbaggers .

lumpinee

MK ULTRA
Jul 18, 2019
across the park from commission flats
AFL Club
Richmond
Also, can someone talk to Dusty about his unselfishness? Unselfishness should not be a substitute for good decision-making. It’s funny because in finals he really takes on everything and doesn’t worry about focusing on dragging everyone in the game.

I just want him to be the dominant player that we know he can be and has been many times. He can drag players back into the game in the 4th quarter when we already won the game, but not in the first quarter. If he have 6 opportunities to score goals and he worked hard to get there, then I want him to take responsibility for those opportunities. If the other players around him are good enough, then their time will come.
this is crucial,its like the 9 players hes targeting to drag into the game are all of a sudden incapable :oops: WTF
and thats how its panning out when his influence is diminished,nobody except for Bolton im sure has been given permission to attack the game
and kick f***n goals,Hardwick needs to change it up and become flexible asap otherwise ya fall fall behind quite swiftly and b4 ya know it.....

tony__montana

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Common theme in our losses at the G.Sides use the little 15mtr chipping game to a point where our defensive structures become null & void.
Without the pressure sides easily pick and choose to go short or long.We're now guessing where the ball is ending up.

i agree with that, but why would it be affecting us more than other sides? I don’t get that train of thought. think most would agree that we have some of the best, if not the best structures in the Comp and i Believe that pound for pound, we collectively have the best contested defenders in the game. So it’s either a personnel thing or our structures are all wrong. Personally, I think it’s just a by-product of where we’re at with personnel atm combined with some scratchy earlier season form bc of our delayed start

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
Pretty sure we would've taken Bobby Hill if RCD hadn't have slid. All the talk at the time was we were very keen. He's our type of player.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
i agree with that, but why would it be affecting us more than other sides? I don’t get that train of thought. think most would agree that we have some of the best, if not the best structures in the Comp and i Believe that pound for pound, we collectively have the best contested defenders in the game. So it’s either a personnel thing or our structures are all wrong. Personally, I think it’s just a by-product of where we’re at with personnel atm combined with some scratchy earlier season form bc of our delayed start
We re 5 players off our best side and the contending oppo have Improved , if anyone can’t accept that they’re in denial , the rest is academic . If Stacky and CCJ can be in the mix to fill the breach and impact during this injury period , it will help no end

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah.
Not sure why.
Hopefully it's just solely a personnel issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back