• Reilly O'Brien

• Josh Rachele

• James Rowe (sub)

• Harry Schoenberg

• Lachlan Sholl

• Taylor Walker

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd keep playing him. Slim as the odds are, he might actually turn into something and we need a miracle.
Yeah, give him more than 1 game in the midfield to see whether he makes it or not.

Looked better as mid than a forward.

Were still a very raw side.
Forgetting the ridiculous umpiring for a moment.

• Sides with big midfields really hurt us
  • Oppo side walk out of the centre clearance, 0 pressure on probably 4/10 centre bounces.
  • Our centre clearances are achieved with a hack kick from O'Brien or Laird taking an age to get around the pack for a kick which reaches an oppo defender with mind blowing efficiency
  • Our defence has a lot of issues getting it out of there, but that is more to do with our confidence being sucked away but awful disposal.

The following players are <50 games in who played yesterday.
Sholl Schoenberg Rachele Jones Hinge Himmelberg Hately Hamill Gollant Frampton* Cook Butts Berry McAdam*

Were not going to get consistency for at least 2 years / 20-40 games from that lot. All of those guys are our future and most should form the basis of our side for the next 5-10 years as they are all 18-22.

*I dont believe these guys are part of our future long term.

Parnell is 178cm on footywire and 71 kg. Not sure when this weight was last done or whether he has put on a few kg's since then. On the crows app they list him at 177cm which is 5"11. Parnell needs to get to around 75-77kg's for his height but I rate that kid. As for the other players you mentioned I agree. Jones is the only other player starting to show something but do you spend a high end pick on a flanker? Generally no but it may not be as bad as we think if he keeps developing.

Not sure what went on with Charlie. Was sad to see him go and a massive loss. I believe he fell out with Pyke. I don't know if there was more to it though. I dont think he was being offered what he was worth as well so it was an easy decision to leave.
My error; dunno why I typed 171 :drunk: . Site said 177cms.

I agree re: Jones (starting to show something), but wasn't he drafted as a mid, then played out of position because of the rusted-on Sloane/Crouch/Laird/Keays quartet?

5.41) I'm older'n you and fear the same thing.
The Crows' "rebuild" has stalled; their first 3 quarters vs Carlton were the worst they've played since 2020 (27 scoring shots to 11 at that stage, and 66 points down). Imagine this team without Tex, should he decide to retire at year's end. I shudder to think. I wonder how Dawson and Rachele (and others) feel about their flag prospects.

2) I never used to subscribe to this theory but:
--- 2001-2006 inclusive Flags were won by expansion sides Interstate. I can't imagine the V/FL were too happy about that. Since then, only two (Sydney 2012, WCE 2018).
--- 5 of the last 6 Flags have been won by Clubs after long years in the Premiership wilderness.
It's hard to conclude that those ex-VFL clubs had not been favoured by the draw and Home advantage.

I'd like to think that Umps have only a slight non-deliberate bias towards better-footy-playing teams --- the weaker teams tackle and dispose of the ball more clumsily --- but I think the Crows have been reamed by Umps in their last 2 games, beyond reasonable doubt. No doubt Carlton deserved their win on the back of harder-running and better skills, but the Crows were visibly negatively-affected by decisions that went against them in the first half. Lots of confused reactions, arms raised, head-shaking. Yes, a better side would knuckle down and get on with it, but I was confused and frustrated by the Umps, myself.
It looked like unfair bias, to me.
First 3 quarters??? I think you mean the 3rd quarter were Carlton had 12 scoring shot to 2. We gave up 2 very late goals end of Q2 which was probably a big sign of what was going to happen in Q3 and had 4 goals directly resulted from incorrect umpire decision that half so 9.6 to 5.4 wasn't a fair reflection of the half.

Agree, thought it was Keays' worst game for the season. He had every right to be pissed about the non decision where he was clearly held off the ball though.

He has the right to be pissed but not crap on to the ump about it causing a stoppage on the wing to be turned into a free kick for the blues. Awful leadership there. It wasn’t even a split second exasperated arm wave, he’d already done that and gotten away with it.

He has the right to be pissed but not crap on to the ump about it causing a stoppage on the wing to be turned into a free kick for the blues. Awful leadership there. It wasn’t even a split second exasperated arm wave, he’d already done that and gotten away with it.
Worst half of umpiring seen, this was Troy Parnell level except those incorrect decision cost us 4 goals which were very important in a close half so if we were frustrated the players would. Not a trend I've seen with him.

Our centre clearances are achieved with a hack kick from O'Brien or Laird taking an age to get around the pack for a kick which reaches an oppo defender with mind blowing efficiency
You made several really good points.

The difference between Cripps and Keays (both teams' best mid) was stark yesterday.
Cripps is on the move, smoothly; his skills are well-honed. When his teammates see him about to get possession they move fast to be in a good spot to receive (in close and forward of him), while our blokes watch. Your post made me realise that comes only from experience and teammate familiarity.
Keays has a real knack for getting the tricky ball. I often think he's not a chance then out he comes with the ball :oops:; it's good. Problems:
--- his teammates often get in his way, either from ball-watching or going for the same ball, and
--- those other Crows rarely move into position or run past to receive from Keays, made worse by the fact that
--- he often bombs away, even when clear (maybe his mates need to let him know?), as do Laird and Crouch.

First 3 quarters??? I think you mean the 3rd quarter were Carlton had 12 scoring shot to 2. We gave up 2 very late goals end of Q2 which was probably a big sign of what was going to happen in Q3 and had 4 goals directly resulted from incorrect umpire decision that half so 9.6 to 5.4 wasn't a fair reflection of the half.
We kicked the first 2 goals in 5 minutes.
After that, they kicked 9 to our 3 by half-time during which the Crows were bad (as well as being knifed by the umps), and 15 to our 3 by 3/4 time.
You're right, that third quarter was appalling, but I still count it as three quarters of poor footy, minus the first 5 minutes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This, I don't get. If Ben is in the contest, there's a very good chance he will get the ball out, and I'm moving to a receiving position. And especially forward of the contest.
Not sure what you meant, sorry.
You don't get my comment, or why the Crows don't move into poz better?

Worst half of umpiring seen, this was Troy Parnell level except those incorrect decision cost us 4 goals which were very important in a close half so if we were frustrated the players would. Not a trend I've seen with him.

And pissing in an umpires ear for 15 seconds turning a stoppage into a free against 50m away helps this? You support your captain doing that?

We kicked the first 2 goals in 5 minutes.
After that, they kicked 9 to our 3 by half-time during which the Crows were bad (as well as being knifed by the umps), and 15 to our 3 by 3/4 time.
You're right, that third quarter was appalling, but I still count it as three quarters of poor footy, minus the first 5 minutes.
And 3 of those goals were directly from incorrect umpiring decision, non existence arm chop and HTB to Cripps and holding to McKay 40m in front of goal and the missed HTB to McAdam 10m directly in front of goal so 6-4 and then letting 2 goals in the last few minute of the 4th. The half wasn't as bad as you think.

This, I don't get. If Ben is in the contest, there's a very good chance he will get the ball out, and I'm moving to a receiving position. And especially forward of the contest.
Unfortunately, he is such a chaotic player (not the right term, but I think it’s fitting for how he plays), that the places to run to are probably not clear. While this will eventually become second nature as they experience more and more how he plays, right now his efforts often come to very little.

Unfortunately, he is such a chaotic player (not the right term, but I think it’s fitting for how he plays), that the places to run to are probably not clear. While this will eventually become second nature as they experience more and more how he plays, right now his efforts often come to very little.
I don't think he's THAT chaotic / unpredictable, but I will allow that comment. :)

- I also think it's something that goes beyond Keays - in general, players needing to have faith in their teammates and stay off the contest, giving options for the exit, instead of piling in to "help". Our better footy has been played when we get that right - as our opponents do.

And when he went back with the flight he seemed to affect our blokes anyway.
Totally - he seems so far out of form he can't even judge where to place himself - when McKay or Curnow picked up yet another free late in the game ROB had gone back to help out to the incoming kick he didn't even make it into the pack he stood five or so feet away watching by himself it was crazy weird.

Totally - he seems so far out of form he can't even judge where to place himself - when McKay or Curnow picked up yet another free late in the game ROB had gone back to help out to the incoming kick he didn't even make it into the pack he stood five or so feet away watching by himself it was crazy weird.

He is so bad he looks like he is matchfixing.

It's one thing to not get the ball. It's another thing entirely to negatively impact the game for your side every time you get involved.

Back