Preview R9: Changes vs Port Adelaide - IN: Jetta, Viney OUT: Newton, Riley

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There will be changes. If newton does miss out, i hope roos is just f****ng with his head, asking for the next level.
Newton is a far better player than m jones

Called him 'boots' when he was with us.
Sorry to lose him but wish him the best
one of my favourites
he's young: plenty of upside
patience grasshopper
all is good

Called him 'boots' when he was with us.
Sorry to lose him but wish him the best
one of my favourites
he's young: plenty of upside
patience grasshopper
all is good
Newton will be fine.

Two of our new mids, VandenBurg & Brayshaw, have been better than expected & have prob pushed him back a bit in the pecking order. Vince has been better this year too.

Newton's played mainly HFF, but he's done well. It's mainly a team balance thing, Roos wants defensive HFFs to try to stop Pittard & Broadbent from slaughtering us off HBF. Newton's far better than either Bail or M. Jones, and our 3rd highest goal kicker already. V. popular with fans & teammates.

Oh, and if you liked Byron, you'll LOVE VandenBurg!! The MCG ground staff have been working all week to get the deep imprints out of the turf of about half a dozen Bulldogs he tackled!

It's bewildering that Spencer is being bagged by Melbourne supporters after clearly being in our best last week and being instrumental in the win. If someone is not performing I get that they are going to be scrutinised but why bag out a player who is doing well?
Flogged the worst ruck in history then broke even with Roughead who I'm not even sure is a footballer. Yay.

Oh, and if you liked Byron, you'll LOVE VandenBurg!! The MCG ground staff have been working all week to get the deep imprints out of the turf of about half a dozen Bulldogs he tackled!

oouch, thanks for the warning
we'll stand so advised
now I really am nervous

we're planning to pinch the points and disappear
like a thief in the night

some-one asked me why I barracked for Port
"couldn't help it, born into it you see, Mum n Dad were in the iron n steel business
Mum would iron n Dad would .....
and that's why I barrack for Port

Ps
My Tigger favourites
Royce Kevin Francis Hassa Robbie Jim n too many to mention
your the very fabric of what we are
national FROM local

Loud n proud
we stand as one
under sprig n Southern Star

Just found out that Riley and Newton were dropped and Bail and Matt Jones are still in the side. What the ferken hell is going on. Did I watch a different game last week.

Jones's concussion and likely withdrawl aside, it's possible that Roos knows Newton and Riley will be there next year while they need to make a decision on Bail and Jones. So you give them every opportunity to make their best fist of it unless someone substantially better, like Tyson, becomes available.

Jones's concussion and likely withdrawl aside, it's possible that Roos knows Newton and Riley will be there next year while they need to make a decision on Bail and Jones. So you give them every opportunity to make their best fist of it unless someone substantially better, like Tyson, becomes available.
Jones in contracted as is Newton. Riley and Bail are actually the guys playing for their immediate careers (unless M Jones is so bad he gets paid out).

It's all about run and speed. Riley and Newton don't have it right now. Bail and Matt Jones do and it allows them to do repeat efforts and defensive work, plus makes them more natural subs which one might be.

If Viney is sub then it makes sense to drop Riley. If Viney starts then it makes sense to have Bail or Matt Jones as sub more than Riley. The inside mid as sub worked last week but a running player will generally have more impact. I would've kept Newton but Jetta's inclusion pushes Lumumba up the ground and he takes Newton's spot and again it's about that run and speed.

Riley and Newton will likely get more opportunities and if they show they are running like AFL players they will get more. But at the moment Jones and Bail provide AFL level work rate and speed from a half forward flank which results in better defensive pressure and also spreads the players out

Obviously the Dogs being way down in intensity was a big help but I think the games of Toumpas and Watts in finding space and using the ball well were influenced by the work done by Bail and Matt Jones. Good defensive efforts create turnovers in good spots and good team running to receive the ball opens up space for everyone else as well.

Jones in contracted as is Newton. Riley and Bail are actually the guys playing for their immediate careers (unless M Jones is so bad he gets paid out).

It's all about run and speed. Riley and Newton don't have it right now. Bail and Matt Jones do and it allows them to do repeat efforts and defensive work, plus makes them more natural subs which one might be.

If Viney is sub then it makes sense to drop Riley. If Viney starts then it makes sense to have Bail or Matt Jones as sub more than Riley. The inside mid as sub worked last week but a running player will generally have more impact. I would've kept Newton but Jetta's inclusion pushes Lumumba up the ground and he takes Newton's spot and again it's about that run and speed.

Riley and Newton will likely get more opportunities and if they show they are running like AFL players they will get more. But at the moment Jones and Bail provide AFL level work rate and speed from a half forward flank which results in better defensive pressure and also spreads the players out

Obviously the Dogs being way down in intensity was a big help but I think the games of Toumpas and Watts in finding space and using the ball well were influenced by the work done by Bail and Matt Jones. Good defensive efforts create turnovers in good spots and good team running to receive the ball opens up space for everyone else as well.

What's all this crazy talk about leg speed? And you can keep your new-fangled forward defensive pressure. You just need BIGGER guys, don't you?

Seriously though, good analysis.

I'm getting quite excited for Saturday. I think we are a genuine chance for this and many following games. Amazing what a win and a bit of confidence can do.

I'm surprised that both Viney and Jetta are straight back in after 4+ weeks out each. I thought we could afford to bring one in and give the other some game time at Casey to get back up to speed - I was wasn't decided who went where. But if Jones is still to come out subject to injury, then it makes sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

some-one asked me why I barracked for Port
"couldn't help it, born into it you see, Mum n Dad were in the iron n steel business
Mum would iron n Dad would .....
and that's why I barrack for Port

:thumbsu: quality

Apart from one down era you haven't had a particularly bad time.

I'm getting quite excited for Saturday. I think we are a genuine chance for this and many following games. Amazing what a win and a bit of confidence can do.

I'm surprised that both Viney and Jetta are straight back in after 4+ weeks out each. I thought we could afford to bring one in and give the other some game time at Casey to get back up to speed - I was wasn't decided who went where. But if Jones is still to come out subject to injury, then it makes sense.
Would expect Jetta has still been training. JV has been chomping at the bit for 3 weeks too.

Would expect Jetta has still been training. JV has been chomping at the bit for 3 weeks too.
Yes, I know they've both been training. But they will lack a little match-conditioning. Just thought it would be smart to introduce one player at a time to get them up to speed. Viney named on the bench, so maybe he's up for the green vest.

Riley is really really stiff to be dropped. Was impressed with his 4th quarter last week, hard to have an impact as the sub
Hard to see how he could have done any more really. I dislike this sub thing so very much

Given Riley's previous games he probably would have got his 10 in the first then another 4 for the game. I was hoping to see if he'd built his tank this season.
Which would be on par with a fair group of our players though yeah?

Which would be on par with a fair group of our players though yeah?
I'm not knocking him, I would have played him and wanted to see how he could run out a game but I also would have been fine with having him crunch guys coming off the pine.

I'm not knocking him, I would have played him and wanted to see how he could run out a game but I also would have been fine with having him crunch guys coming off the pine.
Yeah I know you weren't. I agree btw

Riley's game last week is being seriously overrated. Sure he came on late and got a bit of the ball where everyone else was tired, but he barely contributed to our midfield drive when we were very much flattening the Bulldogs in the centre of the ground, and I don't think I saw him lay a tackle either.

Checked his stats - 10 disposals with seven handballs, 1 clearance, and 1 I50s. Two score involvements. He didn't really get the ball in any dangerous spots, and was more a beneficiary of our last quarter dominance of the Dogs than the cause for it.

Riley's game last week is being seriously overrated. Sure he came on late and got a bit of the ball where everyone else was tired, but he barely contributed to our midfield drive when we were very much flattening the Bulldogs in the centre of the ground, and I don't think I saw him lay a tackle either.
Crucial run down tackle of Picken when he was breaking forward.

Either way, the sub probably wouldn't suit him long term and we won't know his true value until he gets a sustained shot with midfield minutes.

So, appears Port will have to do without Paddy Ryder.

Now, if about 5 more key players for Port that we don't yet know about are announced as being out for this round, THEN I say it is okay for Roos to continue with the Matt Jones, Rohan Bail and H experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back