Preview R9 | Western Bulldogs v Richmond | Wednesday 29/7 @ 7.10 | M(etricon)CG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone watch the Carlton game against Bulldogs? What in the world did Carlton do you smash them by 52 points at Metricon Stadium? We could actually learn from them because they smashed Bulldogs by 44 points and 52 points in 2 out of their last 3 games against them.

Bont gets his Brownlow votes every time he plays us, so I’m not sure that will change. It seems like he’s crap in efficiency against some other teams but against us he seems like a contested beast with laser disposals.

Also, what in the world do we do about Caleb Daniels and Macrae? What if we give Stack a negating role against Daniels so that he out-marks him and shuts his run down? As for Macrae, we probably have no other choice but to let him run wild. He’s in the top 4 for disposals for a reason so we probably should focus on nullifying then efficiency of his disposals.

I don’t know what we can do to beat this team to be honest. The one time we beat them since 2013 was a high-scoring and lucky win.

I just checked some stats on the Carlton and Bulldogs games and Carlton punishes Bulldogs’ turnovers greatly. They kicked 68 points from Bulldogs’ turnovers. They also beat them in the contest (131-114 contested possessions and 33-30 in clearances). While we are probably not going to beat them in contested possessions and clearances, we have some potential with the whole turnovers thing because punishing teams on the turnover was our thing for a long time. The only way we can do that though is if we find a short to medium target inside 50 instead of blind bombing and if that short-medium target actually kicks a goal instead of collectively kicking 2 goals and 11 behinds from around the fringes of the 50 like last week.

1595897285977.png 1595897315768.png

Dale, Dunkley, Naughton all fairly big outs for us, plus Hunter was on personal leave, no idea if he's back, so that's another big one. Dickson and Schache are basically depth this year, wouldn't usually be best 22, but probably could have been handy given Dale and Naughton are out.

Astbury, Prestia, Caddy all big outs too, any others likely to be missing this week besides Houli and Edwards?

View attachment 921154View attachment 921158

Dale, Dunkley, Naughton all fairly big outs for us, plus Hunter was on personal leave, no idea if he's back, so that's another big one. Dickson and Schache are basically depth this year, wouldn't usually be best 22, but probably could have been handy given Dale and Naughton are out.

Astbury, Prestia, Caddy all big outs too, any others likely to be missing this week besides Houli and Edwards?
Nankervis is a big out for us. He is much better suited to playing on English than whitches hat Soldo is.

View attachment 921154View attachment 921158

Nank is also out. If you scroll through a few pages, you'll see there's debate about whether Rioli and Riewoldt have been playing recently. Also some speculation about Lynch's broken finger impacting. But hey, we can only support the 22 the Match Committee puts on the park.

Good luck, Snrub. Love the username.

Nankervis is a big out for us. He is much better suited to playing on English than whitches hat Soldo is.
I was under the impression Soldo was favoured over Nank these days (not sure why), but Nank would have been a far better choice against English so that's a good point
Nank is also out. If you scroll through a few pages, you'll see there's debate about whether Rioli and Riewoldt have been playing recently. Also some speculation about Lynch's broken finger impacting. But hey, we can only support the 22 the Match Committee puts on the park.

Good luck, Snrub. Love the username.
Thanks :) Wouldn't surprise me if we rest some guys, some of our boys looked absolutely cooked in the last quarters of the last 2 games, and there's guys like McLean playing scratch matches at the moment.

Swear to god, if we play Gowers again this week, might as well just hand your lot the 4 points right now to save the time..

Collingwood treated Mick Malthouse poorly.
I remember a TV interview he did during Grand Final Week in 2018.
He laid out three Norm Smith Medals on the table at the cafe and said West Coast would win in a close one.
They treated him like a carcass at the end.

I just checked some stats on the Carlton and Bulldogs games and Carlton punishes Bulldogs’ turnovers greatly. They kicked 68 points from Bulldogs’ turnovers. They also beat them in the contest (131-114 contested possessions and 33-30 in clearances). While we are probably not going to beat them in contested possessions and clearances, we have some potential with the whole turnovers thing because punishing teams on the turnover was our thing for a long time. The only way we can do that though is if we find a short to medium target inside 50 instead of blind bombing and if that short-medium target actually kicks a goal instead of collectively kicking 2 goals and 11 behinds from around the fringes of the 50 like last week.

I have some Dogs supporters in the family, so I watch them every week. They play a good style.

That Carlton game was somewhat of an anomaly. I say "somewhat", because the Dogs form line looks like an angry snake. They always play a young team, by choice, and it's probably a part of why they lose to Carlton but smash GWS. Young 'uns are up and down. Bev also throws the magnets at the board in a random way. Sometimes it works - Naughton forward. Sometimes it doesn't - Suckling forward.

There was some serious head-dropping in the last quarter against Carlton. I don't think the scoreline reflected the game to closely. But yes, they got 'em on the turnover, and we could do the same.

They will win the contested possessions. So we have to 1) be competitive on CPs and 2) win the tackle count. If we're on, we'll see our forwards running down Daniels, JJ, Crozier etc from behind, and our mids getting up in their face, forcing them to shank. If their on, we'll see them chaining away from the backline with handball, and taking bounces through the middle.

Their defenders literally stand 10 to 20 metres in front of their direct opponent, and take off forward at the slightest hint they'll get a kick. English can get back in the hole to cover that aggressive positioning, but that's the closest they ever to the flooding we've struggled against recently. Maybe their a good team for us to play just now.

I can also report that the Bulldogs accuracy in goal kicking is a long-term frustration for their supporters.

The game will be decided in the midfield, and probably won by the team who gets the most goals "over the back".

Dont be surprised to see Vlastuin out, just saw a vid of the captains run and hes in runners with a compression bandage on his calf

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swear to god, if we play Gowers again this week, might as well just hand your lot the 4 points right now to save the time..

Good luck with Bev's Selection Lotto. I'll be cheering for Gowers and Gardner to play!

Hopefully, for the sake of the quality of the game, Sammy Lloyd will be ready to roll. Substantial upgrade on Gowers.

I was under the impression Soldo was favoured over Nank these days (not sure why), but Nank would have been a far better choice against English so that's a good point

Thanks :) Wouldn't surprise me if we rest some guys, some of our boys looked absolutely cooked in the last quarters of the last 2 games, and there's guys like McLean playing scratch matches at the moment.

Nank come back this year and was way better than Soldos output in my opinion. Soldo has been great at times but the only reason nank was ever out so long was persistent injuries that he'd seemingly finally got through until he got injured again 😔

I have some Dogs supporters in the family, so I watch them every week. They play a good style.

That Carlton game was somewhat of an anomaly. I say "somewhat", because the Dogs form line looks like an angry snake. They always play a young team, by choice, and it's probably a part of why they lose to Carlton but smash GWS. Young 'uns are up and down. Bev also throws the magnets at the board in a random way. Sometimes it works - Naughton forward. Sometimes it doesn't - Suckling forward.

There was some serious head-dropping in the last quarter against Carlton. I don't think the scoreline reflected the game to closely. But yes, they got 'em on the turnover, and we could do the same.

They will win the contested possessions. So we have to 1) be competitive on CPs and 2) win the tackle count. If we're on, we'll see our forwards running down Daniels, JJ, Crozier etc from behind, and our mids getting up in their face, forcing them to shank. If their on, we'll see them chaining away from the backline with handball, and taking bounces through the middle.

Their defenders literally stand 10 to 20 metres in front of their direct opponent, and take off forward at the slightest hint they'll get a kick. English can get back in the hole to cover that aggressive positioning, but that's the closest they ever to the flooding we've struggled against recently. Maybe their a good team for us to play just now.

I can also report that the Bulldogs accuracy in goal kicking is a long-term frustration for their supporters.

The game will be decided in the midfield, and probably won by the team who gets the most goals "over the back".
You pretty much nailed it here - our inexperience (self imposed really) means there is an enormous gap between our best and worst. Also didn't help that Crozier was suspended that week, and left a huge hole in our defence that we struggled to fill.

Most of our scoring will have to come from our midfielders this week given Naughton, Dale, Schache, Dickson are all out. Just need to look to the Collingwood game in round 1 to see what happens to us when our midfield gets bullied. This is one of those games where I think it's in Richmond's best interest to have Dusty playing full-time midfield, rather than extended stints in the forward line. I'm picking it to be low scoring, so capitalizing on turnovers is going to be vital for both sides

You pretty much nailed it here - our inexperience (self imposed really) means there is an enormous gap between our best and worst.

I know Bev's selection frustrates Dogs supporters, but I like it. Vandermeer is a great example. Great to watch, contributed plenty already, and no doubt learnt more than he could have in a season playing ressies.

But yeah, it does mean there's some up and down.

I know Bev's selection frustrates Dogs supporters, but I like it. Vandermeer is a great example. Great to watch, contributed plenty already, and no doubt learnt more than he could have in a season playing ressies.

But yeah, it does mean there's some up and down.
Vandermeer has been incredible, and was exactly the player we were screaming out for. Winger with a tank, pace, grunt, and a penetrating kick. He's really surprised me with how quickly he's adapted to the game at the highest level.

We've had a few other players given chances, like Butler, Porter and Cavarra who have all been okay and showed good signs without blowing anyone away.

The annoying part is where we persist with players like Gowers and Gardner who have failed to perform all year. Gowers was useful in 2018, but has gone entirely backwards since then. I'm not convinced Gardner will ever be AFL quality.

Hopefully Bevo makes more selections like Vandermeer and less like Gardner

just about our only consistent week in week out performer this year , just typical..
I suppose if he misses that guarantees oleg a shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back